Sampler veterans I need your help.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
punching_sandwiches

Sampler veterans I need your help.

Post by punching_sandwiches » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Right so I'm trying to create a sampler instrument of my transistor organ so I don't have to lug it to gigs anymore.

I am sampling each individual key in all settings (with vib/without vib for each of the 4 tabs the organ has).

Is there a way that I can set up sampler so that when I press one button I can change from the vib/non-vib samples?

Also is there a way I can set up sampler so that when I press one button I can play the samples from multiple tab positions at the same time?

Maybe I can do this using racks or something?

Hope you can help!

dokken

Re: Sampler veterans I need your help.

Post by dokken » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:32 am

Before you sample each key you might want to check out if it's necessary or not. I know that a lot of people that sample real instruments only sample one pitch or a range of pitches depending on the acoustics of the instrument they're trying to simulate. Maybe you could get away with just sampling one key and playing that one sample on every key if it sounds right. That would be way more efficient. Also with the vib mode, is that just vibrato? If so you could maybe emulate that with an effect in Ableton or by drawing an envelope for pitch.

Anyway, with Sampler you could map your vib/non-vib samples on the key zone editor as they would be on you transistor organ, then use the sample select editor to assign the first set of samples to one range of values, say 0-8 or something and the second set of samples to a different range, maybe 9-16. Then you could click on midi map mode and assign the sample select ruler to a rotary knob on your controller. You could use the knob to switch between one group and the other. Not an ideal solution but it would work.

You could also do a similar thing with an instrument rack by nesting racks of samples in each chain, assigning a particular macro to each sample's chain activator, and then midi mapping your controller to that macro knob.

I hope that helps you get started. Good luck.

punching_sandwiches

Post by punching_sandwiches » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Ah right. That's some food for thought. I've decided to go with sampling each note individually as the organ has various idiosyncrasies that can't be replicated digitally.
I have put each of the 4 tab settings on separate sampler tracks.
As for the vibrato I'm just gonna run it through an effects pedal to save on RAM headroom.

Is there a way I can fit more than one sampler instrument into an instrument rack? I want to be able to switch between and mix the different sampler instruments without having to hold down the apple key and click to arm multiple tracks.

dokken

Post by dokken » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 pm

punching_sandwiches wrote:Ah right. That's some food for thought. I've decided to go with sampling each note individually as the organ has various idiosyncrasies that can't be replicated digitally.
I have put each of the 4 tab settings on separate sampler tracks.
As for the vibrato I'm just gonna run it through an effects pedal to save on RAM headroom.

Is there a way I can fit more than one sampler instrument into an instrument rack? I want to be able to switch between and mix the different sampler instruments without having to hold down the apple key and click to arm multiple tracks.
Cool. I believe you could add an instance of sampler to each chain in your instrument rack if you want, then assign macros to the volume control how much of each signal comes through. If you have a sampler like Kontakt it's quite good for re-creating instruments such as this. Kind of a steep learning curve but it's a very powerful instrument.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 pm

just getting into sampler, but you should be able to do this with layering. Put each tab's settings into one of the four layers.
Set the macro controls to control the volumes of each of the four layers.

I believe there are ways to choose from multiple samples within a layer using a macro; i have seen it in some of the built-in ableton racks (check out some of the drum machines clips, for example - think that's where i saw it), you would want to do something similar. Sampler appears to be able to have a lot of layers.

dokken

Post by dokken » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 pm

punching_sandwiches wrote: Is there a way I can fit more than one sampler instrument into an instrument rack? I want to be able to switch between and mix the different sampler instruments without having to hold down the apple key and click to arm multiple tracks.
This guy posted a tutorial on one of the other threads that might be helpful in your quest to emulate that instrument. It shows you how to mix between dry/wet effects in an instrument rack but it occured to me that this technique would also be useful for mixing between different sample modes of your instrument. They use the zone editor to crossfade between instrument chains, similar to what I was talking about with Sampler, only I didn't know how to crossfade them.

slirak

Post by slirak » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:57 pm

dokken wrote:Also with the vib mode, is that just vibrato? If so you could maybe emulate that with an effect in Ableton or by drawing an envelope for pitch.
Emulating it in Ableton probably won't sound half as cool as the real thing, but may well be the only viable alternative.

Usually, the vibrato in an organ will affect all notes simultaneously, so that they vibrate in time, no matter when you press the individual notes. With samples, the vibrato cycle for each note will be independent of the vibrato cycle of other notes. So if you don't press all keys in a chord exactly the same time, the cycles won't match up. And if the loop points of the individual samples aren't (near) identical, the cycles will drift. And if you didn't sample each individual note, they won't be the same speed to begin with. Now multiply this with four (if you switch on all four tabs). The result can be quite sea-sickening... :roll:

Still worth a try if it's an important part of the sound.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:06 pm

don't see why you can't do the same thing with an LFO. Map it to pitch, either automate or midi map it.

edit: Now I see what you are complaining about. Yes, if the LFOs are set to retrigger, then you'll have your problem. But you can set the LFOs to free-running, and then they will all vibrate together, regardless of when the note-ons come. Make sure you set it that way.

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:05 pm

theophilus wrote:don't see why you can't do the same thing with an LFO. Map it to pitch, either automate or midi map it.

edit: Now I see what you are complaining about. Yes, if the LFOs are set to retrigger, then you'll have your problem. But you can set the LFOs to free-running, and then they will all vibrate together, regardless of when the note-ons come. Make sure you set it that way.
Oh, that's not what I meant. I meant that you would risk loosing sync between the individual notes' vibrato if you sample the notes with the organ's vibrato on. (As the op suggested.)

The problem with recreating an ol' transistor organ's vibrato with LFO's is a different one: them old orgies are often really idiosyncratic and what is labelled "vibrato" is often not quite that, technically speaking.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:19 pm

slirak wrote: Oh, that's not what I meant. I meant that you would risk loosing sync between the individual notes' vibrato if you sample the notes with the organ's vibrato on. (As the op suggested.)
good point. hadn't thought about that - thanks for the clarification!