Novation Launchpad Max for Live Query

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kowalski9000

Novation Launchpad Max for Live Query

Post by Kowalski9000 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Using Max for Live would it be easy to create something which represented the midi piano roll as lights on the Launchpad so notes could be drawn in using the buttons?

I can apprecite this is a bit tricky as none of this stuff is out yet but I was wondering if anyone in the know could shed light on this, I have a specific need for this functionality you see.

Furland

Re: Novation Launchpad Max for Live Query

Post by Furland » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 pm

I would say, without being in the know! that it's possible with the combination, but you better start flexin' those Max skills as you might be the first contender to that function! :-)

Kowalski9000

Post by Kowalski9000 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Furland wrote:I would say, without being in the know! that it's possible with the combination, but you better start flexin' those Max
skills as you might be the first contender to that function! :-)
So you think its unlikely that anyone else will make it? :D I better start learning Max if not!

Cheers :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:58 pm

it would be trivial to make.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Kowalski9000

Post by Kowalski9000 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it would be trivial to make.
It seems very simple but I have no knowledge of Max at all. This is good to know though!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm sure that (step sequencer) will be one of the first things available, if not a token freebie made by the Abes themselves.

Can't stream movies at work but I thought the Launchpad demo video showed some kind of step sequencer function.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 pm

beats me wrote:I'm sure that (step sequencer) will be one of the first things available, if not a token freebie made by the Abes themselves.

Can't stream movies at work but I thought the Launchpad demo video showed some kind of step sequencer function.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure a step sequencer was one of the first ambitions w/ M4L & Launchpad

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 am

Novation has already announced they will have a Launchpad/max 4 live step sequencer patch as a free download

Kowalski9000

Post by Kowalski9000 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 am

djsynchro wrote:Novation has already announced they will have a Launchpad/max 4 live step sequencer patch as a free download
Would I be able to scroll through the step sequencer, bar by bar, so I could quickly edit any part of the piano roll. For example, with the APC 40, I'm guessing you just select a loop region in the piano roll and that's what's represented on the device. If that's how it works then this would fulfil my needs I think!

Basically I don't want to edit 1 or 2 bar loops, I need to be able to edit 3-4 minutes of Midi. I think the above might do it though?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:31 am

Kowalski9000 wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Novation has already announced they will have a Launchpad/max 4 live step sequencer patch as a free download
Would I be able to scroll through the step sequencer, bar by bar, so I could quickly edit any part of the piano roll. For example, with the APC 40, I'm guessing you just select a loop region in the piano roll and that's what's represented on the device. If that's how it works then this would fulfil my needs I think!

Basically I don't want to edit 1 or 2 bar loops, I need to be able to edit 3-4 minutes of Midi. I think the above might do it though?
Seem like an interesting idea, so get on it! we will all be waiting to download it and send superlatives your way on release day,

Kowalski9000

Post by Kowalski9000 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am

Emissary wrote:
Kowalski9000 wrote:

Seem like an interesting idea, so get on it! we will all be waiting to download it and send superlatives your way on release day,
Ha :) Errr... sure thing :D

*signs up for crash course in Max!*

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:06 am

Hmm, interesting project. Not impossible to do. I have a few max objects popping in mind and I think it's do-able. Just need access to the Live-API objects of max4live to figure the rest out, and that won't be until it's released, but I think this tool could be very useful.
I'm already imagining it.
-The first vertical line could be color coded like the keys of a keyboard, although maybe abmer for white notes, red for black, leaving the yellow for the piano roll. Then the keys would follow as you scroll up or down, making it easier to see where you are. This comes on the cost of losing a straight bar, though, so maybe an option to turn it off would be handy. Could put that on one scene launch button.
-Scrolling up/down/left/right would be on the scene launch buttons, of course. Maybe zooming options too?
-Holding down a starting point and pressing an end point would create a long note. Got to have the option of creating those, yet retain the option of repeating notes... How to see the difference between those is a pickle, though... Would've been nice to have an extra color, although the colors in the keys could do the trick. Shouldn't be too confusing once you realize that the first vertical line is just a guideline.
-Maybe it would also be a good idea to have the every fourth vertical line of the loops lit up in maybe amber? Just to get a bearing of where you are in the beat...

Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but as soon as I get my Launchpad and Max4Live, I'll look into the programming options for this... I could use a tool like that myself...
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

globalk

Post by globalk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:37 pm

dextroc wrote:Hmm, interesting project. Not impossible to do. I have a few max objects popping in mind and I think it's do-able. Just need access to the Live-API objects of max4live to figure the rest out, and that won't be until it's released, but I think this tool could be very useful.
-The first vertical line could be color coded like the keys of a keyboard, although maybe abmer for white notes, red for black, leaving the yellow for the piano roll. Then the keys would follow as you scroll up or down, making it easier to see where you are. This comes on the cost of losing a straight bar, though, so maybe an option to turn it off would be handy. Could put that on one scene launch button.
-Scrolling up/down/left/right would be on the scene launch buttons, of course. Maybe zooming options too?
-Holding down a starting point and pressing an end point would create a long note. Got to have the option of creating those, yet retain the option of repeating notes... How to see the difference between those is a pickle, though... Would've been nice to have an extra color, although the colors in the keys could do the trick. Shouldn't be too confusing once you realize that the first vertical line is just a guideline.
-Maybe it would also be a good idea to have the every fourth vertical line of the loops lit up in maybe amber? Just to get a bearing of where you are in the beat...

Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but as soon as I get my Launchpad and Max4Live, I'll look into the programming options for this... I could use a tool like that myself...
If you have the piano roll on the side you'll only have 7 sequencer spots available, maybe dim red and yellow across the horizontal lines that turn to bright red and yellow to represent a note? or green?

Looking forward to max4live luanchpad combo myself. Starting to feel like m4l might be released next year. snorlax.

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:34 pm

globalk wrote: If you have the piano roll on the side you'll only have 7 sequencer spots available, maybe dim red and yellow across the horizontal lines that turn to bright red and yellow to represent a note? or green?

Looking forward to max4live luanchpad combo myself. Starting to feel like m4l might be released next year. snorlax.
true, it would leave 7 sequencer spots, as I noted that before, but my idea was that you can turn it on/off just to get a bearing on where you are within the scale, thus freeing up the 8th step when possible. dimmed lights could do the trick, though, but if the dimming is anything like on the monome (which I hope it's not) then it can only dim the whole grid of buttons at a time, not individual rows or buttons.

Right now, I have only specualtions to go on, though. November will be a good month!
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

Kowalski9000

Post by Kowalski9000 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 am

dextroc wrote:Hmm, interesting project. Not impossible to do. I have a few max objects popping in mind and I think it's do-able. Just need access to the Live-API objects of max4live to figure the rest out, and that won't be until it's released, but I think this tool could be very useful.

Really interesting ideas! Definitely giving me a lot of inspiration about how to go about this too. I would be fascinated to see what you come up with if you pursue this. As for me, I'm gonna have to up my Max skills first so a prototype from me is some months off!