Sampler: copying samples with sample start/end preserved

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
slirak

Sampler: copying samples with sample start/end preserved

Post by slirak » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi,

I got these two Session Drums multisampled hi-hats.
They're both made up the same way, one long sample with lots of single hits in it, duplicated in multiple zones, with different sample start/end points for each zone, thus picking out different hits for different velocity and select zones. The select zones are used to respond to CC4, in this case coming from an e-drum kit's hi-hat pedal.

The hi-hats come as multi-sampled Simplers, but I do own Sampler so I can easily convert them.

Now I'd like to combine these two hi-hats in to one. I'd specifically like to copy like forty hits from the select zone of one hi-hat to the other. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to copy/paste between Samplers. Sure, I could write down the sample start and end point values. But I did mention there're some forty samples, right? 8)

Any ideas?

I guess I could do this by embedding both hi-hats in a rack and select switch between them that way. But Session Drums are nested and convoluted enough already and I also suspect I'd like to fine tune the two sample sets quite a bit after merging them. So I'd definitely prefer a neat way to combine them in a single Sampler instance.

theophilus

Re: Sampler: copying samples with sample start/end preserved

Post by theophilus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:16 pm

can you be more specific about what you want to do? Sounds like you want to use the pedal-up samples from one hi-hat, and the pedal-down samples from the other, something like that?

Can't think of a general-purpose way to do what you recommend, but if the above is what you want, just put them both in a layer, and use the layer editor to remove the note/velocity range you don't want for each layer (and/or disable CC4 on that layer).

In the extreme case... copy the samples (even though they are multiple samples in a single aif file, they are editable in a wave editor), just zero out (silence) the samples in each layer you don't want to sound, and then point each layer to your new sample (should preserve the originals for when you want them later too). You don't have to worry about controlling each layer then, because only one sample will ever be non-silence to sound.

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

theophilus wrote:can you be more specific about what you want to do? Sounds like you want to use the pedal-up samples from one hi-hat, and the pedal-down samples from the other, something like that?

Can't think of a general-purpose way to do what you recommend, but if the above is what you want, just put them both in a layer, and use the layer editor to remove the note/velocity range you don't want for each layer (and/or disable CC4 on that layer).

In the extreme case... copy the samples (even though they are multiple samples in a single aif file, they are editable in a wave editor), just zero out (silence) the samples in each layer you don't want to sound, and then point each layer to your new sample (should preserve the originals for when you want them later too). You don't have to worry about controlling each layer then, because only one sample will ever be non-silence to sound.
It looks like this: There's one hi-hat preset for the closed hi-hat and one for the open one. The presets are triggered by one note number each. The degree of openness within each preset is controlled by CC4, by switching between sample select layers. To make for a smoother transition I need to move the open hi-hat's most closed hits and use them to replace the closed hi-hat's most open hits.

Now instead of having a bunch of short single hit samples, each hi-hat preset is made up of a single sample file with a lot of consecutive hits. The hits are at different velocities (mapped to velocity layers) and at different degrees of openness (mapped to sample select layers).

It's been made to work as a bunch of single hit samples by duplicating it and setting the sample start/stop points to different positions.

It's dead easy to import the sample from the open hi-hat preset to the closed preset - in fact I believe both presets use the same sample.

The problem is setting the sample start/stop points of (part of) one preset to the same values as the other. I can of course take notes of the start and stop points of the first preset and then enter them manually in the second. But since that's 40 start points and 40 stop points I was looking for a way to avoid just that...

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 pm

slirak wrote: To make for a smoother transition I need to move the open hi-hat's most closed hits and use them to replace the closed hi-hat's most open hits.
So you just want to take the default closed/open hihat programs, and modify them a little bit. That's what I was looking for.
at least it's just editing the sample offsets, seems like it should be less than 40, but I can easily see how it could be (I looked at one of the hi-hat presets, I have session drums too).

Worst case, you could recycle it, end up with 100 individual samples instead of one big file, and hot-swap in the samples that you want on top of the samples that are there. That preserves the mod mappings etc. if i'm not mistaken.

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm

theophilus wrote:
slirak wrote: To make for a smoother transition I need to move the open hi-hat's most closed hits and use them to replace the closed hi-hat's most open hits.
So you just want to take the default closed/open hihat programs, and modify them a little bit. That's what I was looking for.
at least it's just editing the sample offsets, seems like it should be less than 40, but I can easily see how it could be (I looked at one of the hi-hat presets, I have session drums too).

Worst case, you could recycle it, end up with 100 individual samples instead of one big file, and hot-swap in the samples that you want on top of the samples that are there. That preserves the mod mappings etc. if i'm not mistaken.
I don't own ReCycle. And anyway, I'm not sure it would be that much easier than the hard way. It's a one off operation anyway. But thanks for your effort!

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm

slirak wrote: I don't own ReCycle. And anyway, I'm not sure it would be that much easier than the hard way. It's a one off operation anyway. But thanks for your effort!
I thought Live could do it. And it sort of does, but it slices it to a multisample like the hi-hats, not multiple samples. Oh well.