NI Komplete Kontrol

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fossiel

Re: NI Komplete Kontrol

Post by Fossiel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 pm

cant we jbridge that thing, or am i an idiot?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:22 pm

Fossiel wrote:cant we jbridge that thing, or am i an idiot?
Jbridge is a tool for running 32bit plug-ins on 64bit hosts (and is not the only alternative for doing this), not a way to magically get 64bit hardware driver software* to work on 32bit OSes. So, no you can't.

*=I'm assuming this based on previous NI hardware and new requirements. If it is the software that can be labeled "drivers" for Control that is responsible here or if it's just that NI doesn't want to support older OSes, I'm not completely sure, but the net effect for us, the users, is the same.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Finally got around with messing with the Komplete Kontrol plugin last night. I opened it in Logic and nothing was available. I guess you have to open the standalone version first in order for it to scan and populate the plugins and sounds. Then you can open the plugin in a DAW. Overall I like the browser and tagging options, but it’s not exactly a quick loader because it has to bounce between plugins and in some cases sample libraries. But it’s still the best option and I’m sure I’ll find sounds I would have never found without it. It was spitting up Reaktor ensembles I’ve never opened before.

But I’m (financially) ashamed that I’m more attracted to the keyboard now. I’ve never really had the patience for manually mapping parameters and just having it do it all automatically would really up my adjustment and automation game. Right now I’m close to 0 automation in my productions other than volume levels. The few other parameters I do I usually draw in which doesn’t exactly lead to sonic exploration.

Of course this is version 1 hardware and there is still plenty for NI to learn and explore and enough physical space for them add even more control options. When they come out with the next version you’ll probably be “Damnit, I want that option!”

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:51 pm

You need to run "rescan database" from the menu when you first run it. I'm surprised NI don't make a pop-up on first install that says this, because so many people seem to be confused. And no, you don't have to run it in standalone first, as is widely and wrongly believed. It's just that running standalone performs the database scan automatically on first run, but it can still be done in plugin mode manually.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:12 pm

mholloway wrote:You need to run "rescan database" from the menu when you first run it. I'm surprised NI don't make a pop-up on first install that says this, because so many people seem to be confused. And no, you don't have to run it in standalone first, as is widely and wrongly believed. It's just that running standalone performs the database scan automatically on first run, but it can still be done in plugin mode manually.

Good to know. I half-ass clicked around the minimal interface and didn’t see that option. I just know from experience with NI they sometimes require you to open the plugins in standalone mode first, or at least it used to be that way.

Also I think if you buy one of the keyboards and are already a Komplete or Komplete Ultimate owner there should be a decent discount on the upgrade to 10. There’s a $25 voucher but that’s kind of meh and I think they give that out with anything you purchase from them.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Fossiel wrote:cant we jbridge that thing, or am i an idiot?
Like people already posted, no. There are ways though. The most complete way would be through Vienna Ensemble PRO 5, or alternatively Plogue Bidle. With both you run them stand alone as 64 bit and bring instruments loaded in them into Live via VST or Audio Unit plug ins. VEP Pro 5 is what 64 bit orchestral library users have used to slave even a host computer to your main 32 bit DAW (a couple years ago when most were 32 bit), and if it works good enough for the finicky orchestral composer set, then it's we'll thought out. In case it's not clear essentially VEP Pro 5 is a 64 bit stand alone mixer host that host VST and AU plug ins, it can use ethernet to load those plug ins via a wrapper of sorts into your DAW. This can be done with two computers or with both running on the same computer. At almost $300 it's kind of expensive, but considering that I have a tower and a laptop, that are both pretty powerful, I'll be buying this well before I think of upgrading my computers. :)

Alternately you can run Komplete Control stand alone, and use IAC on Mac or any number of other MIDI work arounds on PC to play the interments in it via Live. I don't know how system wide audio routers like Soundflower or Jack handle 64/32 communication? but I remember it not working..

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:51 am

More on topic: At this point its funny to think that you will now have people with the same racks of keyboards and drum pads, but they'll all be specific controllers for plug ins. Maschine sits next to Push and in the key rack you have Arturia, Komplete Control, a Novation Remote SL MKII and an AKAI iPad keyboard.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 am

Machinesworking wrote:More on topic: At this point its funny to think that you will now have people with the same racks of keyboards and drum pads, but they'll all be specific controllers for plug ins. Maschine sits next to Push and in the key rack you have Arturia, Komplete Control, a Novation Remote SL MKII and an AKAI iPad keyboard.
Hah, I already have exactly this! and Akai MPK Mini TWO Novations (MKII and MKII Zero), plus an old Ozone, Maschine Studio, and Push. And if that's not enough...oh what the carp, it's enough. But I do have more. It's a sickness! :roll: :mrgreen:
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Can you use the Komplete Kontrol software with Push? If the software is usable in Push, including searching for presets and then automapping to the 8 knobs with page control, I think it's value would increase substantially.

login

Post by login » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 pm

mercury007 wrote:Can you use the Komplete Kontrol software with Push? If the software is usable in Push, including searching for presets and then automapping to the 8 knobs with page control, I think it's value would increase substantially.

Nope, kontrol is a close system.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 pm

Machinesworking wrote:More on topic: At this point its funny to think that you will now have people with the same racks of keyboards and drum pads, but they'll all be specific controllers for plug ins. Maschine sits next to Push and in the key rack you have Arturia, Komplete Control, a Novation Remote SL MKII and an AKAI iPad keyboard.

It’s kind of getting upsetting. It’s like with Mackie control and automap being around for a long time there’s been an industry wide “Fuck it, let’s just make ultra-specific and proprietary controllers now”. And they will sell because the general controllers haven’t delivered seamless headache free access.

So now you are really going to have to pick your software/hardware combo of choice carefully because this shit is starting to get expensive.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 am

yeah well i think they finally figured out its hard to make consistent profit with 1s and 0s.. cant download hardware. yet.

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi guys. I've made a template to use 128 controllers with the Komplete Kontrol 32bit VST plugin (maybe it also works with the 64bit version, I don't know). It works for Live and Push. Controls so far are the same than on the Komplete Kontrol S keyboards. Feel free to use them:

http://udo-musik.bplaced.net/Ableton/Ko ... ontrol.adg Live Komplete Kontrol Instrument Rack file download
http://udo-musik.bplaced.net/Ableton/_K ... efault.adg Live Komplete Kontrol Drum Rack file download
http://udo-musik.bplaced.net/Ableton/_K ... ontrol.als Live Komplete Kontrol project file download (no macros on board ;))

Is anybody able programming Push to browse through the instruments (at least with the four arrow keys on Push and a Komplete Kontrol instance on the computer)?? I would like to use Push for controlling Komplete Kontrol. Maybe you also can vote for this idea in order to try to convince Ableton to do this for all of us. Here's the link: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=207460
Last edited by Udo Behm on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Udo Behm wrote:Hi guys. I've made a template to use 128 controllers with the Komplete Kontrol 32bit VST plugin (maybe it also works with the 64bit version, I don't know). It works for Live and Push.
That's great news. But this is only for Komplete 10, right?
Make some music!

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 am

Well, it should support Komplete 9 too as the software (Komplete Kontrol) is supposed to be the same. The only thing I don't know if it would work with the 64bit version of Komplete Kontrol. As far as I know only the 64bit version can be used on a Mac. Windows uses both versions (32 & 64 bit) of the plugin.