APC40 creating high pitched noise

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rutgermuller

Re: APC40 creating high pitched noise

Post by rutgermuller » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:26 am

Mine has it too, I'm not too happy about it.

pierrot777

Post by pierrot777 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem with my apc40.
I had an exchange with a guy at guitar center who used to work for Akai.
He told that he thought it was not normal. His APC20 does not make any noise (but that's not the same model and it probably needs less power).

So I contacted Akai directly. Here is their answer:

Thank you for contacting us. The slight hum you describe is not an indication of a hardware defect. Please be assured that your APC40 is functioning within normal specifications, and does not require service.

I asked if changing the PSU could help, they replied:

Some customers have reported that they have noticed this. Swapping the power adaptor would not prevent this from happening. While a slight hum is normal, if you are saying that what you're experiencing is something louder, or something other than the normal hum we've noted, then we'll be happy to set up a Return Authorization for warranty service to have the unit come in and be looked at by a technician. If a problem that's out of the ordinary is found, we'll be happy to rectify it.
As long as you purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer...your product holds a one year warranty with us. If your product falls under warranty coverage...please contact our Return Authorization Department at 401.658.3131 x1409. You will need your original sales receipt as well as the serial number of the unit when you call to setup the RMA number.

So, according to Akai, this hiss is normal.
And I listened to the display model in guitar center, it makes the exact same noise.

I don't know if it can help some of you.
I am not saying that ALL units have the problem, even though it seems that it's the case.
We probably just have to deal with it, use headphones and turn the volume up !!

digitalbeat

Post by digitalbeat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Has someone fixed the problem maybe in homework? I would be glade to know if there is any part in my apc i can replace to life in silence :)

packq

Post by packq » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 pm

drissa wrote:This forum makes a similar noise to my APC40...

Decided to investigate further. I'm getting a 'noise cycle' like this -

1. Switch on = annoying 'whine' some people are complaining about
2. Launch Live = whine stops after a set opens, leaving less annoying 'hiss'. This is still a little hard on my ears, but more like the kind of sound you might expect from cheaper electrical gear
3. Quit Live = APC40 becomes silent (as if powered down)

Would be interested to hear if this fits with other experiences, for those with the noise issue.

I'm glad the more piercing noise isn't there when this thing is engaged. I can still imagine careful mixing suffering a bit from the operational noise - there is definitely that 'ahhhh - silence' sound after it powers down, like a CPU/drive fan powering down. But if I can figure out a good workflow, I might let the little bugger live.
SAME THING!!
switch on: noise -> open Live (and add clips): gets low -> close Live: silence :?

Any solution in all these years?