Invaders Must Die

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:43 am

nebulae wrote:
funky shit wrote:
chevthewizard wrote:The album isn't out yet..... but I guess you thought fuck them... and their law and just downloaded it illegally. :D
Was driving past the record shop "cool discs" and spotted the sign "prodigy album now in stock".
Shat bricks and bought the dvd version.
how does Reason sound played through your DVD player?
As bad as your digital soft synths do compared to 'real analog'. :lol:

I'm buying it, distortion is not the enemy, unwanted distortion is. At least the title track sounds harder than the last one, which i've conveniently forgotten about. Main problem wasn't over compression IMO, it was indy rock crap mixed in with goofy songs like that Back on Tour one.... :roll:

Fat of the Land would be hard to beat, but I wasn't that hip on Voodoo People either.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Mushy pea soup with cheese on top.
Drums

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm loving this. A few bum tracks but on the whole pretty awesome. Love the house piano in worlds on fire, when was the last time that was used. I agree too much compression though. Its hurting my ears on low volume.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm like half way through this and IT FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just pretend the first two tracks aren't on there :lol:

And yeah it is a bit over compressed, but at least I can cane it on the bus to work!
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Anymore examples of this loudness war and over compression?
I think it sounds rockin, after all, the prodigy was always about loud dirty tracks that make u crawl into a corner and eat your own face

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Emissary wrote:I'm loving this. A few bum tracks but on the whole pretty awesome. Love the house piano in worlds on fire, when was the last time that was used. I agree too much compression though. Its hurting my ears on low volume.
Cool! better than Always Outnumbered then? That's my question.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Emissary wrote:I'm loving this. A few bum tracks but on the whole pretty awesome. Love the house piano in worlds on fire, when was the last time that was used. I agree too much compression though. Its hurting my ears on low volume.
Its on the lines of Fat of the Land.
FOTL was a legendary album and will remain my fav, but this one is very close. You just have to sit back and listening to the heavy synth sounds and pumpin beats.

Warriors Dance, Worlds on Fire, Thunder and Take me to the Hospital are my current favs.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:21 pm

funky shit wrote:Anymore examples of this loudness war and over compression?
I think it sounds rockin, after all, the prodigy was always about loud dirty tracks that make u crawl into a corner and eat your own face
I'm gonna have to get it. The best example is to listen to the drums IMO, over compression can screw up the attack on percussion big time. The last Gorgoroth record was fucking awesome, but the drums are destroyed.
Pretty hard to fuck up heavily distorted metal guitar, but things with a lot of dynamics like drums get really hammered. There's a song on that CD where the drums are literally a pumping mush. :(

The video sucks though, it's like Prodigy only had one good video in them, Smack My Bitch Up, the rest are boring as hell.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

funky shit wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Its on the lines of Fat of the Land.
FOTL was a legendary album and will remain my fav, but this one is very close. You just have to sit back and listening to the heavy synth sounds and pumpin beats.

Warriors Dance, Worlds on Fire, Thunder and Take me to the Hospital are my current favs.
a bit fat +1 on this. all three of those tracks are IMMENSE

to be honest the album is 100 times better than i thought it was gonna be.

just skip past the first track. omen is alright tbf, just wayy wayy better tracks after.
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I actually like the first track. I didnt at first but it is a nice intro imo.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm

fair do's. i think it would be a pretty good track if they got rid of the high synth, but as it is just doesn't agree with me

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm

beats me wrote:From the little I've heard it sounds like their same ideas rehashed and the parts that don't sound like them sounds like Pendulum.
Plenty of people are moaning about it sounding like Pendulum, but I always thought Pendulum sounded like The Prodigy (doing drum n bass). Its easy to forget that The Prodigy have been putting out music for nearly 20 years now and laid the foundations for a lot of the stuff of today.

I wasn't looking forward to their new album after Always Outnumbered (though that has grown on me more recently) but its a lot better than I thought it would be. It kind of carries on from where they left of with Fat Of. Pity they didn't release it 5 years ago.

Thing is though, its The Prodigy - they could put out an hour long cd of Liam breaking wind and it would sell millions. There aren't many artists around who can generate the amount of buzz that a new Prodigy album causes. Like them or loathe them they are one of the biggest acts in the world and will be for some time to come.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm

jonny72 wrote:
beats me wrote:From the little I've heard it sounds like their same ideas rehashed and the parts that don't sound like them sounds like Pendulum.
Plenty of people are moaning about it sounding like Pendulum, but I always thought Pendulum sounded like The Prodigy (doing drum n bass). Its easy to forget that The Prodigy have been putting out music for nearly 20 years now and laid the foundations for a lot of the stuff of today.

I wasn't looking forward to their new album after Always Outnumbered (though that has grown on me more recently) but its a lot better than I thought it would be. It kind of carries on from where they left of with Fat Of. Pity they didn't release it 5 years ago.

Thing is though, its The Prodigy - they could put out an hour long cd of Liam breaking wind and it would sell millions. There aren't many artists around who can generate the amount of buzz that a new Prodigy album causes. Like them or loathe them they are one of the biggest acts in the world and will be for some time to come.
The thing is I don't know any "civilian" man on the street that bought Always Outnumbered or even know it exists. By waiting so long to release they effectively returned to the underground but the problem with that is the "been there from day 1" people don't like their commercial sound.

My problem with Always Outnumbered is most of the songs are eh and on the songs that could be a dance floor filler they threw in some fucked up breakdown that doesn't work on the floor.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I think this album sounds a bit like Experience but with a punk vibe. I was never that huge a fan of fat of the land and after the immense album that was jilted generation it felt like a bit of a letdown. Never outnumbered had some great tracks but this album just takes me back to those early days of the underground but without sounding dated. I wish it had the same production style as jilted generation but i cant complain about what is possibly one of the best albums of the last few years. Even if he is playing to his own formula. And i think omen is a great track. Invaders must die is just a bit meh.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:06 pm

beats me wrote:The thing is I don't know any "civilian" man on the street that bought Always Outnumbered or even know it exists.
I think its more likely that they bought it at the time, wished they hadn't and have tried their best to forget that it ever happened. For most people it was a let down solely due to the massive change in direction, everyone was expecting a rave album.
beats me wrote:By waiting so long to release they effectively returned to the underground but the problem with that is the "been there from day 1" people don't like their commercial sound.

My problem with Always Outnumbered is most of the songs are eh and on the songs that could be a dance floor filler they threw in some fucked up breakdown that doesn't work on the floor.
I've been there since day one. I remember buying the What Evil Lurks EP in my local HMV - I don't think I'd even heard it before as I just bought everything XL released at the time. I wouldn't agree with the "commercial sound" thing, they've been commercial from Charly onwards and I'm not sure what the problem with that is anyway.

I think the real problem with Always Outnumbered isn't that it was a bad album as it wasn't, its just that it wasn't a great album which you'd expect from whom (I'd guess) are the best selling dance act of all time.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4