Dithering question

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rbmonosylabik

Re: Dithering question

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:50 am

trikster_b wrote:
Tryptych wrote: - You need it when you are rendering your projects from higher bitrates to lower (f.e. 32 -> 16bits)
Ok, I think I understand this now. So the process would be to make a final mix, then render it in 24 bit. Then take that rendered file and put it in an empty project and put a mastering plugin on the master channel with the dither plugin set to 16 bit on the end. Then render it once more, only this time at 16bit, and this should be the final file. Is this process the right way for making tracks to put on CDs?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I think I am really close to figuring it out. Thanks for the help! I'll also have to check out this Ozone plugin, I see it recommended everywhere...
That sounds about right.

Dither is just noise added at a certain level, which prevents loss of information below that level during the bit reduction process. The maths behind it can be a little confusing, but the cat picture examples in the dithering wiki page could help you visualize better how it works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

Live 8's dither applies the required dither level depending on the output file bit depth selected. This means that if you select 16 bits in the rendering dialogue, Live will add the dither signal at -90 dBFS and then output the 16 bit file. If you select 24 bits, it'll add the dither at -138 dBFS and output the 24 bit file.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

trikster_b

Re: Dithering question

Post by trikster_b » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:08 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:
That sounds about right.

Dither is just noise added at a certain level, which prevents loss of information below that level during the bit reduction process. The maths behind it can be a little confusing, but the cat picture examples in the dithering wiki page could help you visualize better how it works:
Live 8's dither applies the required dither level depending on the output file bit depth selected. This means that if you select 16 bits in the rendering dialogue, Live will add the dither signal at -90 dBFS and then output the 16 bit file. If you select 24 bits, it'll add the dither at -138 dBFS and output the 24 bit file.
Those cat pictures do help a lot. I understand how it works now, and I am horrendous at math, so it's no wonder I couldn't figure it out. I did a few tests with the MDA dither plugin on a 1 minute track, and did a slightly different mix than before, and it sounded better than before after converting to MP3. Thanks for all the help everybody!