new gorillaz@#!$@%^$&*

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dredd i knight

Re: new gorillaz@#!$@%^$&*

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am

having snoop on it = fail...
lol!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 am

When did we start hating on Snoop? I'll admit a lot of his music has been poop since Doggy Style but there isn't a lot of Hip Hop albums that trumped it (in the commercial releases) by anybody. I still think he's a cool mofo. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge Hip Hop fan so my expectation bar is pretty low. I still have Naughty by Nature in my top 10.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 am

u down with opp? :P

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:56 am

Jesus? Snoop is on one song. Just checked it on itunes... Mos is on at least two: Lou Reed is on one etc. So are members of the Clash, De La Soul, the Fall.
Doesn't sound like I would get that into it, didn't buy their earlier stuff, but the reasoning behind not liking it before you hear it in this thread are pretty dumb.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:10 am

dredd i knight wrote:u down with opp? :P
Yeah, you know me. :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 am

FWIW I mentioned not being impressed with Snoop being on a Gorillaz album because his lyrical content is stale. I think he has a cool voice and I definitely liked his style in the first half of his career. With the Gorillaz... meh.

The Gorillaz are out there style wise... Del was perfect for that. Mos Def is a great choice too IMO. De La Soul pulled it off just fine on Demon Days. I thought Booty Brown from The Pharcyde could have gone a different route and been a lot smoother, but even his rhyme from that album has grown on me. Besides, maybe he was doing just that... trying to go a different route.

The guest list on Demon Days was crazy cool, but the first album was so good in general, IMO, that it would be hard to top.

I heard one of the tracks and parts of others off of Plastic Beach. The full track had Mos Def in it. No doubt. According to what it looked like was going on with the Gorillaz website, it was playing a song with Snoop in it. Bad label or errors.. The website hung Firefox, only Firefox, several times, while I was writing this... I just installed the latest Flash player about a week ago and I run Firefox with only a couple of addons. The site should work. I'd love to take a listen, but why should I travel around the web looking for something from a reputable site when the Gorillaz have a perfectly good URL that they've decided to bog down. Its the type of site that would earn you a C- if you were lucky in a web design class. The navigation and layout is enough to make any instructor whip out a red pen and remind you about those basics you should have down by now.

I still want to hear it, but I'm worried. I'm a huge Gorillaz fan. Definitely an influence in my music. I was introduced to them at a critical conjuncture back in 2001.

All shit talking on the rest of the forum's part and especially my own aside, I do take a certain degree of trust in you fuckers when it comes to music in general. I've learned some damn cool shit, laughed my ass off and even been in Flame Wars :twisted: round here long enough to appreciate the ebb and flow. So if a bunch of us are sitting around being naysayers then its up to some more of you to come in guns blazing and put us in check. So now... is this fucking album good or not?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 am

^^ Is this a preview or the prequel to his review?

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

i think 'empire ants' w/little dragon is my fav track atm. i think its a decent album.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

I look at it this way. There's no shortage of artists out there that you expect it to be hard listening and it may take you awhile to determine if you like it. Then there's artists that you just want to be good fun listening from the get go and if they venture into the hard listening category then it's a fail and most likely it's just bad music, not some intricate ground breaking sound they are trying to explore. If I have to give the Gorillaz the same warm up time I give Amon Tobin then fuck that. Gorillaz should grab my attention in the previews. If not, I'm moving on.

I also don't care/mind who they collaborated with on the songs but I think as a result they allowed themselves a certain amount of song writing laziness that they assume will be offset by the big name in the song.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 pm

here's a preview page: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... stic-beach
i'm listening to it now, and the Snoop track is fuckin' cool.... production sounds like the automator stuff on the first album at the moment....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:04 pm

anybody human wrote:^^ Is this a preview or the prequel to his review?
the thread is a whopping 2 pages... you figure it out.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm

no where as good as Demon Days.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 pm

nebulae wrote:no where as good as Demon Days.
i agree.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:41 am

I think "beats me" makes a good point! The thing is: My girlfriend bought the CD (with DVD) a few days ago, and I've been listening to it a few times since then, and I'm now actually beyond that point of thinking it's an average album and really start to dig it! :)

The accompanying DVD is very cool. Here they explain how they came to setting up the album as it is. It's a short film, but very inspiring! I've always had a soft spot for this kind of total creative concepts, and in that way I think Plastic Beach is a big step forward from Demon Days (which is an awesome album, btw. :wink: )
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

greta

Post by greta » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:36 pm

While i agree it's no demon days it's still (IMHO) a wonderful album. Some songs like 'Some Kind of Nature' and 'On melancholy Hill' are stunning. I was a bit disapointed with the Stylo video (in that thay used computer technology as opposed to the more traditional animation style) but overall am loving the whole Plastic Beach package. Hopefully we will see a proper tour.

+1 on the props for the dvd. Very cool to see them do the model and photoshoot of the plastic beach itself.