Opening Ableton's aifs in any other program

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Opening Ableton's aifs in any other program

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:36 am

nicktc wrote:Hi

I have recently downloaded the excellent Mad Beetz (KJ Sawka) live pack.

I would like to be able to open the aif files in another program (ANY other program)... I have tried a number of editors/players and file converters but non can read the files.

Anyone know a work around??

N
This is not possible if you mean the original files as they're likely copyprotected. Your own beats built with the packs shouldn't be a problem.
Make some music!

harikaram

Post by harikaram » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:47 pm

Just bumping this to express my discontent. I'm just trying to have Cosmos index the files to use *in Ableton* and I can't. I pay good money for these and I can't use them as I wish. Why? Vendor-lock-in. So these companies can compete dirty instead of just relying on making a useful product. Really short sighted thinking IMO. Software like Cosmos and Audiofinder are actually making it possible to use the tens of thousands of samples that come with all the packs and sound add-ons and things like this just hold everything back. Meanwhile searching in the browser doesnt even expand the 5-tier deep folder I need to preview the actual file. :roll:
Musical Instruments, Evolved...
http://air-craft.co

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:01 am

I imagine that some of this might have to do with selling packs, and sampled instruments. For instance, if someone purchases a piano and it explicitly references an aif file, there isn’t much to stop a person from buying the pack and then selling or giving the full instrument to other people.

But if there is a blocking element. Then they can still Bounce the aif file out, and use that content, but they’d be deterred from attempting to reconstruct the entire piano, where-as if it was not locked, it’d be dead simple to just include the original file and the preset.

Still, I do agree that it’s a bit restrictive in the Majority of cases. Most music creation softwares, you’d think would encourage versatility and having open options that don’t stop you ..in your tracks. :P