AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Rave wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I know that VLC is out for the iOS devices yet, but I didn't think that had anything to do with AppleTV.
Air Video/plex streams mkv and avi to an iPad/iPhone . I was just repeating my response from the previous thread because u didn't say anything and thought u missed it.
You also need to check out Zumocast. It's been my most flawless experience streaming media from my Macs over wifi and 3g to my iPad and iPhone.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:34 pm

@Tarekith
@beats

Nope, only iTunes compatible formats are allowed - m4v, mov, etc.

I don't mind converting at all, and it's super simple.

Download a bunch of AVIs from Breaking Bad, Season2.

Dump them all into Handbrake, add to the cue. Hit start.

Once they are done you drop them into iTunes.

Bit of a hassle, sure, but better than fiddling with some WRETCHED, two bit device and software that will no doubt disappear within a year and a half.

:P

The beauty of AppleTV is simple:
It's fucking only $99. 8O
Does EXACTLY what it says it's going to do, and does it brilliantly. :o
It isn't some PC based piece of shit that I'll have to have 957 drivers installed (on the device and my machines) in order to run. :P
The integration between MacBook<-->iPhone<-->iPad<-->AppleTV is flawless. 8)
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 pm

beats me wrote: Zumocast.

see: my comments about 'software that will no doubt disappear within a year and a half.'

I should add:
'software that will no doubt disappear within a year and a half; or be bought by Microsoft or Google and completely butchered - then disappear or turn into something else 6months later when no one buys it'

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:I am no longer enamored with it and am well aware of it's shortcomings.

Bite.
Your.
Tongue.

8O
Shut up you. Steve and I are disgusted that you now bought a product for the first time that is simply a refresh of an Apple product that is 4 years old.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:@Tarekith
@beats

Nope, only iTunes compatible formats are allowed - m4v, mov, etc.

I don't mind converting at all, and it's super simple.

Download a bunch of AVIs from Modern Family, Season2.

1. Put all the avi files in handbrake and convert them to mp4. (watch an episode of something else while you wait)

2. Drag all the mp4s into iTunes.

3. Select all the files in iTunes, right click, and select "Get Info".

4. Manually type "Modern Family" for the show name under the video tab.

5. Type in the season number in the Season Number box

6. In the Options tab change the Media Type to TV Show

7. Open up your web browser and do a google image search for Modern Family. When you find one that works for you right click and select "copy image". Go to the Artwork tab the iTunes Info box, and paste image into the box.

8. Click "OK"

9. Select just the first episode in iTunes, right click, and select Get Info

10. Go to tv.com and do a search for Modern Family and from there go to the episode guide for the season of Modern Family you have.

11. In the iTunes Get Info box change the "Name" field in the Info tab from the name of the file to the name of the episode you get from tv.com.

12. Go to the Video tab in the iTunes Get Info window and type in the corresponding episode number in the Episode Number box.

13. From the tv.com site select and copy the synopsis of the episode you are on and paste it into the Description box in the iTunes Get Info window.

14. Click Next in the iTunes Get Info window and repeat steps 11 - 13 for every episode.

15. Click OK.

Bit of a hassle, sure, but better than fiddling with some WRETCHED, two bit device and software that will no doubt disappear within a year and a half.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Oh, c'mon. You're the anal one that's got to have all the definitions correct and thumbnails and stuff. :lol:

Me? I just throw em in! Well, I do change the movie tag to 'TV show' when necessary.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:I am no longer enamored with it and am well aware of it's shortcomings.

Bite.
Your.
Tongue.

8O
Shut up you. Steve and I are disgusted that you now bought a product for the first time that is simply a refresh of an Apple product that is 4 years old.

:oops:

shh.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Oh, c'mon. You're the anal one that's got to have all the definitions correct and thumbnails and stuff. :lol:

Me? I just throw em in! Well, I do change the movie tag to 'TV show' when necessary.

I remember being at a friend's who insisted he was going to show me the funniest thing ever. He spent a good 20 minutes flipping through his "its.always.sunny.in.philadelphia.s01e04" type file names doing the "hm, that's not it" quick previews before he just had to give up. That's not a hell I want to revisit or put somebody else through.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:23 pm

rudd1028 wrote:
beats me wrote: I remember being at a friend's who insisted he was going to show me the funniest thing ever. He spent a good 20 minutes flipping through his "its.always.sunny.in.philadelphia.s01e04" type file names doing the "hm, that's not it" quick previews before he just had to give up. That's not a hell I want to revisit or put somebody else through.
^Won't have the file name problem using Windows 7 Media Center.
Score: Advantage Microsoft.
Or Plex for Mac.

The loser: AppleTV/Front Row.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 pm

rudd1028 wrote:Wow. I guess some of you are rolling in money because getting an APPLE TV plus having a Mac (where you can do more with than an Apple TV)surely isn't cheap.
Cheap, no. Sexy, yes.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 pm

rudd1028 wrote: Wow. I guess some of you are rolling in money because getting an APPLE TV plus having a Mac (where you can do more with than an Apple TV)surely isn't cheap.
I think it's more to do with being an adult, holding down a meaningful job, and building a life than it has to do with "rolling in money". Some people earn more than others and everyone has different bills, but productive hard working adults do tend to acquire things.

It isn't like they're talking about their Bugatti's or something - an apple TV is $99 and a computer is generally a professional investment. Buying something like this for an adult is quite different than having to go ask your parents, so I do see where you might be wondering.

Just know that eventually when you finish school, move out and get your own place you'll eventually be able to do the same, if you are willing to work hard that is.

It takes a little while to build things up and stuff but eventually it does happen. Are you planning on going to college after high school? It's not always necessary but it does help when job hunting.

Anyway, best wishes to you.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Jesus, the OP is a moron. Apple TV v 2.0 is POS, it provides nothing new...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:Jesus, the OP is a moron. Apple TV v 2.0 is POS, it provides nothing new...
Netflix streaming
No storage or syncing (boo IMO)

mihai

Post by mihai » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:06 pm

squelcht wrote:Image
made my day.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 pm

beats me wrote:
Digital_Damage wrote:Jesus, the OP is a moron. Apple TV v 2.0 is POS, it provides nothing new...
Netflix streaming
No storage or syncing (boo IMO)
Both things my Samsung LED TV does with no need for a box, no fuss just plug in the ethernet or configure the wireless...