Best USB-powered audio interface with >=4 inputs and outputs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ark

Re: Best USB-powered audio interface with >=4 inputs and outputs

Post by ark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:23 pm

ItsAllSticky wrote:I'm a loser and I love to browse the ol' internet. I also hate studying. This lethal combo brought me to your question. Think I have an answer.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox
Seems to have similar capabilities to the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, and both of them have the problem of not enough analog inputs and outputs. Thanks for the suggestion, though; I hadn't thought of the Mbox before.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 pm

ark wrote:
ItsAllSticky wrote:I'm a loser and I love to browse the ol' internet. I also hate studying. This lethal combo brought me to your question. Think I have an answer.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox
Seems to have similar capabilities to the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, and both of them have the problem of not enough analog inputs and outputs. Thanks for the suggestion, though; I hadn't thought of the Mbox before.
USB 1 audio interface- it never really worked for any serious user but in 2011, it is just ridiculous. Probably Focusrite is getting rid of old chips from Novation, just repacked it into modern looking box.
Today Presonus revealed new series the 4x4 be what you looking for.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=64

ark

Post by ark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:55 pm

rikhyray wrote:USB 1 audio interface- it never really worked for any serious user but in 2011, it is just ridiculous. Probably Focusrite is getting rid of old chips from Novation, just repacked it into modern looking box.
Looks interesting--but it's not bus powered :(

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:09 pm

ark wrote:
rikhyray wrote:USB 1 audio interface- it never really worked for any serious user but in 2011, it is just ridiculous. Probably Focusrite is getting rid of old chips from Novation, just repacked it into modern looking box.
Looks interesting--but it's not bus powered :(
I guess it might be like the M audio Ultra, the external power is only when you use more then 2 phantom powered mics-which absolutely makes sense. If you want can find out more details next week when my Presonus connection will be back from US, have to call him anyway since I have some issues with my Mobile and want to know about Lion.
I heard that the newest generation of Avid boxes are the best ever, but I am not sure about the smaller ones (might be same scam like of Focusrite - if it is USB 1.1 forget about it)

ark

Post by ark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:26 pm

rikhyray wrote:I guess it might be like the M audio Ultra, the external power is only when you use more then 2 phantom powered mics-which absolutely makes sense.
This page announces three products: a 2x2 interface, a 4x4 interface, and an 18x18 interface. It also says that the 2x2 interface is bus-powered, but says nothing about the other two.

This page says that the 4x4 interface comes with an external power supply.

Is there any evidence that the power supply is optional?

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 pm

LeifonMars wrote:Since you asked for the best:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

Requires PSU though.

Or a battery pack

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:13 pm

ark wrote: Is there any evidence that the power supply is optional?
They announced them today, might be able to tell you something more next week, but for sure only when they will get here some so that it could be checked. However I know for sure that with M audio fasttrack ultra it works exactly this way- up to 2 inputs (with phantom) buss , if more have to use PSU.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Bus power from USB is an issue when you try to go for more than 2x2, that's why Focusrite's new Scarlet USB 2.0 interfaces require power supplies.

I hate the specmanship of mfrs who claim 4x4 like the Mbox when it's really 2x2 analog plus 2x2 SPDIF :evil:

ark

Post by ark » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 pm

doghouse wrote:I hate the specmanship of mfrs who claim 4x4 like the Mbox when it's really 2x2 analog plus 2x2 SPDIF :evil:
What I like about the Native Instruments box is that it's 4x4 analog plus 2x2 SPDIF.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:26 am

ark wrote:
doghouse wrote:I hate the specmanship of mfrs who claim 4x4 like the Mbox when it's really 2x2 analog plus 2x2 SPDIF :evil:
What I like about the Native Instruments box is that it's 4x4 analog plus 2x2 SPDIF.
SPDIF - What do you use it for anyway? ADAT I use all the time and maybe therefore I've never really understood what's the use of SPDIF. It saves like one cable?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:57 am

LeifonMars wrote:SPDIF - What do you use it for anyway? ADAT I use all the time and maybe therefore I've never really understood what's the use of SPDIF. It saves like one cable?
First it's a digital rather than analog connection...one less D/A->A/D conversion to worry about plus reduced noise.

Second you free up a pair of analog inputs for other stuff.

I've been using it with my Motif for a couple of years.

The limitation is you can't have more than one SPDIF input without a lot of extra reclocking circuitry.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:11 pm

ark wrote:
And in my experience NI drivers (I have AK1, 10DJ, 8DJ and 2DJ) have been very reliable for the past year or so on both OSX 10.6.x and Win7/64. Audio quality isnt bad (for the money), but it isnt RME/Digidesign etc or the like.

Personally I tend to favour NI for low end/dj orientated audio interfaces and RME for high quality audio paths. Some folks mention the babyface - good litle audio interface, however bear in mind RME's reputation for stability was founded on their PCI and firewire based audio interfaces. I personall think they have *A VERY LONG* way to go to match the USB driver reliablility that NI provides. For RME PCI and FW I have no worries about RME on stage. But with their USB - no way at all (crash logs on win7/64 and OSX on several computers here have way way too many RME USB related kernel crashes in them, though to be semi-fair not when actually running audio through it for the past couple of months, usuall when plugging it in/unplugged it, switching on/off etc). Similarly wih NI USB - no worries a all for live use if that matters to you. Also their customer services can be one of two extremes - good or more akin to a bunch of nazis on in the mid 1930s (from whom I belive they must be descended - not a german thing I hasten to add - just them being assholes if you dont happen to agree with absolutely everything they say or do).

Personally - m-audio is not something I would touch with a barge pole. Focusrite and Motu - no exsperience of, but heard alot fo positives. Digidesign - great hardware, not entirely sure about their software - seems good on their high end stuff.
Nothing to see here - move along!

setvice

Post by setvice » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:11 am

Just for interest sakes, because i am considering getting a komplete audio 6, why are you looking at other options if this box meets your needs? It seems to be to be amazing value for what you get.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:21 am

setvice wrote:Just for interest sakes, because i am considering getting a komplete audio 6, why are you looking at other options if this box meets your needs? It seems to be to be amazing value for what you get.
I was hoping to hear either that there was something else out there that was significantly better or that there was some kind of problem with the Komplete Audio 6 that I had missed.

Not hearing either of those after a few days, I've gone and ordered one.

Chemistry Set

Post by Chemistry Set » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I actually returned a Scarlett 8i6 after 3 weeks and got the Komplete instead. The Scarlett had some weird issues (random USB disconnects) that I'm sure would've been fixed with some future driver updates. The KA6 has worked flawlessly.