analog style step sequencing with push...possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: analog style step sequencing with push...possible?

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:50 pm

It's certainly just a matter of time.
either someone will remote script one, OR M4L.

All control surfaces can be modified.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:26 am

If scripts/software could make push fully control mono sequencer I'd definitely pay for it.

[art]

Post by [art] » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am

This will definitely happen.

No question.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm

If we could step sequence instruments and fx parameter locks style push would be the absolute dream. And its already excellent.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Acid303 wrote:fx parameter locks style push would be the absolute dream.
Yeah, really surprised they didn't think to implement that on Push but I think it's a limitation of Live itself? Abes should learn from how Maschine does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJh4FMNhNE&t=05m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsuSiUCek4g&t=52s

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 pm

it will happen PUSH

Maschine was not what it is today when it was released.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm

step sequencing of fx is absolutely possible within live at this moment already, regardless of the push.

check out tom cosms implementation, he's already developed a means of step sequencing dummy clips to control fx parameters.

The other way would be to convert notes to cc messages, and use an iac loop to send them into a remote midi in.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm

humnumb wrote:
Yeah, really surprised they didn't think to implement that on Push but I think it's a limitation of Live itself? Abes should learn from how Maschine does it
Actually they shouldn't. It's a bitch to edit and that's not per step automation. You open automation on one step and have to close it on another. Please, don't implement this.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

diordna

Post by diordna » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Can't you just route midi from an empty drum rack to the instrument you want to step sequence?
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core2 Duo P8600 2.4G
4 Gb ram
---
Ableton 9.0.2
NI Audio Kontrol 1
MPK49/APC40/Push

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
humnumb wrote:
Yeah, really surprised they didn't think to implement that on Push but I think it's a limitation of Live itself? Abes should learn from how Maschine does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJh4FMNhNE&t=05m20s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsuSiUCek4g&t=52s
Actually they shouldn't. It's a bitch to edit and that's not per step automation. You open automation on one step and have to close it on another. Please, don't implement this.
Maschine's step automation works differently from the way it works on Elektron gear. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. Elektron's step parameter lock only changes one step at a time so if you want to make changes to more than one step, you have to repeat the process on every single step. Maschine's approach makes changes starting with the step you have selected to the rest of the steps in that pattern. The advantage here is that you can quickly make changes to multiple steps at once. So to just make a change on a single step or a particular range of steps, you just need to make a single change to the step right after where you want the step automation to stop.

Anyway, Ableton doesn't need to copy exactly how other tools have implemented it and can figure out their own way of doing it but either way, it's useful to know what existing solutions are already there and how they work.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm

diordna wrote:Can't you just route midi from an empty drum rack to the instrument you want to step sequence?
certainly, for step sequencing melodies that works well (also for vst effects which take midi, like stutter edit, etc). However, for fx sequencing (of native fx), you need to have a loop in place to get the midi to come through a midi device which is set to 'remote'.

queglay

Post by queglay » Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 pm

I have step sequencing of notes working in push with m4l, but its not ready to share yet. if someone wants to help develop they are welcome to join.
currently i can takeover the 16 buttons at the top. you press a step here and then enter notes as usual in note mode. its just entered in that step. you can also enter chords and it will enter the relevent velocities and subtle time differences between each note in the gesture. the scene buttons are used to select the clip position.

im not brave enough to look at step sequencing parms. once i finish the note sequencing, i need to get music making. too much hacking and programming at the moment!
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

queglay

Post by queglay » Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 pm

If I were to do elektron style parameter locks, I think what would be worth exploring is putting a layer between the push controller and directly picking up the encoders.

You could cache the sequence (made by a combo of holding a button while turning a dial) in your layer in the middle, then send that output as remote data to lives push midi input- which would be what live records.

This way your automation layer is always working on the device that your push encoders are set to manipulate directly. push handles all the mapping for you. once the current step mods are recorded into the clip, then the in between layer doesn't have to keep sending the info. it would have to listen for changes to get bidirectional updates though so any future step mods wouldn't throw away clip data.

Then its up to us to determine how to set per step and slide parameters to get smooth interpolation between p locks.

This would be super exciting if we could get it going...
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 pm

So anyone working on anything like this? I can see anything happening so far. If push worked perfectly with mono sequencer it would be amazing.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon May 27, 2013 6:45 am

I added to the MonoSequencer patch to work with the APC40, was asked not to share it by the creator of the mono sequencer.
Works great though.
There was a small hint of the MonoSequencer patch getting modified to work with ALL matrix controllers.
However, I doubt it will work as good as one hopes for in a personalized manner, better to patch your own.