Is Ableton really for Electronic Musicians?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatmunga

Re: Is Ableton really for Electronic Musicians?

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 pm

mendeldrive wrote:Ableton is excellent for sound design. If you need any reassurance in that just google "Nick's Tutorials" and you can see for yourself.
And no, you don't need Suite to make electronic music. As long as you have a decent sample library the full version has everything you need to make good music. You have Simpler, Drum Machine and all of the audio effects.
What if you want to design your own bass sound for instance..? Surely not having a synth is a little bit limiting for an electronic musician?

Are all electronic basslines samples? Of course not.

However, Operator and Analog make fantastic bass sounds that would be impossible with samples and effects alone.

Not sure why you would think there is no advantage.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeah, standard version plus one decent 3rd party synth is everything you need for electronic music in my opinion.

As for the orchestral stuff, if you're doing it with samples and midi instruments, live shouldn't be much different to anything else.

If op is thinking of suite, the orchestral instruments included in 9 could be of interest. Doesn't sound like recording a real orchestra is on the cards, and notation is kind of a matter of taste for one person programming.

mendeldrive

---

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

8O
Last edited by mendeldrive on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 pm

andydes wrote: If op is thinking of suite, the orchestral instruments included in 9 could be of interest. Doesn't sound like recording a real orchestra is on the cards, and notation is kind of a matter of taste for one person programming.
This right here ^^^. Live 9 Suite does include the Orchestral stuff + Max so that makes it an awesome investment over Live 8 Suite.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 pm

mendeldrive wrote:
beatmunga wrote:
mendeldrive wrote:Ableton is excellent for sound design. If you need any reassurance in that just google "Nick's Tutorials" and you can see for yourself.
And no, you don't need Suite to make electronic music. As long as you have a decent sample library the full version has everything you need to make good music. You have Simpler, Drum Machine and all of the audio effects.
What if you want to design your own bass sound for instance..? Surely not having a synth is a little bit limiting for an electronic musician?

Are all electronic basslines samples? Of course not.

However, Operator and Analog make fantastic bass sounds that would be impossible with samples and effects alone.

Not sure why you would think there is no advantage.
If you wanted to design your own bass sound? Well the person in question would have to decide whether they want to be a sound designer or a producer. NOBODY designs their own sounds. Look for videos of Avicii, Nicky Romero, Armin van Buuren, RedOne, Lex Luger and tell me how many of them design their own sounds. There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel and creating something that already exists. Any mods to existing sounds can be done with layering, filtering and/or adding effects.
Riiight... so according to you Ableton Live is excellent for sound design because no one is interested in sound design anyway. Thanks for that.

I take it synthesis is not really your thing, mendeldrive...

That's fine. But don't try and tell us that it is not relevant to many electronic musicians as this is patently absurd.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Electronic musician is a misnomer.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:37 pm

beats me wrote:Electronic musician is a misnomer.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:39 pm

beats me wrote:Electronic musician is a misnomer.

mendeldrive

---

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 pm

8O
Last edited by mendeldrive on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 pm

mendeldrive wrote:NO ONE make their own sounds.
I make my own sounds, thanks.

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 pm

infernal.machine wrote:
mendeldrive wrote:NO ONE make their own sounds.
I make my own sounds, thanks.
And no one has heard of you. Thank you for proving my point.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 pm

mendeldrive wrote:Keep in mind these people are more successful than you'll ever be so keep your musical tastes to yourself.
How do you know? Are you tracking down people's identities in this thread?

8O
Unsound Designer

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

mendeldrive wrote:No one said that. What I was saying is that the full version has everything you need to make music.
No, you DID say that. Again...
mendeldrive wrote:Ableton is excellent for sound design
Then, straight after
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds
?
mendeldrive wrote:I've never read or seen an interview with a successful producer that makes his own sounds using synthesis. So if you assume it's not important to me, then you probably think it's not important to people like... I dunno, Timbaland? Keep in mind these people are more successful than you'll ever be so keep your musical tastes to yourself.

I've attended many production seminars in both the US and UK and it's the same with all successful producers. Unless you're Aphex Twin or Trent Reznor, trying to synthesis everything will take you forever and ultimately sound like sh*t. Look up Digital Labz if you don't believe me. NO ONE make their own sounds
Why the aggression? What's the chip on the shoulder about all this, big time producer boy? How can you possibly in all seriousness say NO ONE based on your obviously rather limited experience?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

VOLVO????

mendeldrive

---

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:05 pm

8O
Last edited by mendeldrive on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.