Omnisphere seems meh to me.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Omnisphere seems meh to me.

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:51 pm

I’m starting to get more into doing my own synthesis, preset fatigue. So its ironic timing that I think the time best spent with Omnisphere is first going through the massive preset library and rating and organizing all the presets into projects (or whatever that feature is called where you can save presets into sub user libraries).

I just don’t find its UI compelling for creating sounds compared to other softsynths I have. It feels like its focus is being a rompler and everything else is a convoluted bonus.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 pm

I haven't heard those banks yet, what's wrong with them?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 pm

In general whenever I come across presets that are labeled specifically EDM they might as well be labeled “shit you wouldn’t use in an actual song”. It’s usually some shrill noise. EDM is too broad of a term and slapping it on anything for most softsynths is just redundant.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 am

I have upgraded to Omni 2 almost without thinking as I had enjoyed one (and have VIP, so the upgrade was discounted)
There is certainly a lot of new stuff, some cool new sounds, effects and engines...but for some reason I just haven't been drawn to it - Omni 1 was for a while a long way ahead of other softsynths (of that type), I think everything has caught up now. There are more interesting synths (Serum for example, I find I use that a lot, Bazzille and even yes, Komplete 10 has a ridiculous amount of ground covered), basically we are spoilt! I have no idea what someone would have to do now to make a real impact like Diva did or even Serum to an extent, especially sample and wavetable based instruments.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

sound match is really the best way to browse the 5k presets
find one you like and hit sound match and chances are you will a lot that you will also like
save the ones you like into a new folder
i don't even bother using the categories any more

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:I haven't heard those banks yet, what's wrong with them?
They basically sound like trance presets run through a limiter and coming out the other end like blaring, shrieking, shrill treble noise.

Or maybe I just don't understand kids today, who can say??

Subjective / style complaints aside even, they are quite literally too loud.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:25 pm

robertaplant68 wrote:Does Omnisphere 2 have any sounds like Prince and the Revolution ? :-)
you looking for that raspberry beret pre-set?

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:34 am

robertaplant68 wrote:
owlmerlyn wrote:
robertaplant68 wrote:Does Omnisphere 2 have any sounds like Prince and the Revolution ? :-)
you looking for that raspberry beret pre-set?
:-)
I am looking for that synth that does it all. Funk, new wave, big orchestra, you name it, I want it to do it. :-)
Good luck with that. Haven't found one synth that "does it all" yet, let us know when you do :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:21 pm

It does.

If you can't make it with Omnisphere, it's not the synths fault.