OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:47 pm

rikhyray wrote:
robtronik wrote:you can program volume level of any kick (drum sound or synth) over any amount of time (which is tantamount to velocity for playback only)
No I dont mean sensitivity of pads
Velocity is not the same as volume. Velocity applies to particular midi event -note. Volume to a track.
in this case it's tantamount if you only have monophonic playback per track. So you're both right.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Gearlust! And I want a Dave Smith Evolver too for weird analog/digital hybrid sounds!

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:06 am

Just checked out the manual for the EMX. It seems it definitely is the ultimate step sequenced all-in-one instrument.

Definite gearlust.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:27 pm

The MX is definitely something I missed ! After hearing/ seeing little demonstration of MX I dont care for old model, just the ribbon and fader ( what you can play with them) are worth paying whatever extra. I already ordered one, will impatiently wait to integrate it into my live Live shows
Thanks for sharing, infecting me with that I imagine highly addictive "mini monstrosity".

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:38 am

Electribes in general are kick ass.

always, I repeat, always usefull.

workhorses they are, yes they are!

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:44 am

rikhyray wrote:The MX is definitely something I missed ! After hearing/ seeing little demonstration of MX I dont care for old model, just the ribbon and fader ( what you can play with them) are worth paying whatever extra. I already ordered one, will impatiently wait to integrate it into my live Live shows
Thanks for sharing, infecting me with that I imagine highly addictive "mini monstrosity".

Best luck Rikhyray :D.
I'm sure you'll have hours of fun with the Blue Meany :lol: .
I'll be thinking of you over the feastive season into 2006 whilst I recover.
If you have any recordings of live gigis to share send me some links so I can listen to them during my recovery.

andrew_

Post by andrew_ » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:23 am

Just to set the velocity thing straight, there is none - you get the accent feature (though the amount of accent is adjustable). But hey, you've got Live, and the samples are pretty standard. I'd say I had around half the drum samples before buying the unit, just from random Soulseek downloads. A lot of 808-sounding stuff, though they're probably not Roland's originals since it's a Korg machine. And an Amen snare. As for importing midi my guess is no, but I can't be sure.

It's too bad the step sequencing is all quantized (ie you get swing but not groove) 'cause the buttons are so easy to press and play. But that's where you start playing it live into Live...

Another thing that sets the MX apart from the earlier series of Electribes is the amount of synth stuff you can do - both the number of parts (5) and the number of synthesis forms (16) available. Real nice!

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:26 am

andrew_ wrote:Just to set the velocity thing straight, there is none - you get the accent feature (though the amount of accent is adjustable). But hey, you've got Live, and the samples are pretty standard. I'd say I had around half the drum samples before buying the unit, just from random Soulseek downloads. A lot of 808-sounding stuff, though they're probably not Roland's originals since it's a Korg machine. And an Amen snare. As for importing midi my guess is no, but I can't be sure.

It's too bad the step sequencing is all quantized (ie you get swing but not groove) 'cause the buttons are so easy to press and play. But that's where you start playing it live into Live...

Another thing that sets the MX apart from the earlier series of Electribes is the amount of synth stuff you can do - both the number of parts (5) and the number of synthesis forms (16) available. Real nice!
The inbuilt sequencer doesn't record velocity.
The synths themselves do respond to it when played via a keyboard or recorded into a third party sequencer and triggered in that manner.
You also get more motion sequence slots.
The synth engine is greatly improved with the LFO's and routig options.
As you've stated 16 synthesis types.
Also 3 very good effects engines with serial and or parrallel routing with effects send per part etc .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:02 am

re: velocity.

For all internal sounds there is a step sequencer and a level parametre. It controls how loud the sound will play. You can sequence it step by step or in real time using the level knob... its more useful for drums however. Try getting a drum pattern going, hit record, select a drum sound and tweak the level. Press the "motion sequence" button and thats all there is to it. if its not right, record over it...

Basically if you have your sounds set up correctly, you will be dropping the level . If you are sequencing external gear, forget about it... there is a accent feature but its completely shit and affects all sounds. Useless.

chicotree

Post by chicotree » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 am

Thanks for opening my eyes to this. Looks very cool with the tubes and brushed aluminum. From what you all say very useful too.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:39 am

FaX-01 wrote:
rikhyray wrote:The MX is definitely something I missed ! After hearing/ seeing little demonstration of MX I dont care for old model, just the ribbon and fader ( what you can play with them) are worth paying whatever extra. I already ordered one, will impatiently wait to integrate it into my live Live shows

Best luck Rikhyray :D.
I'm sure you'll have hours of fun with the Blue Meany :lol: .
I'll be thinking of you over the feastive season into 2006 whilst I recover.
If you have any recordings of live gigis to share send me some links so I can listen to them during my recovery.
www.musicyoga.com is still under construction the music there is "getting jobs" oriented so no the Christmas tune is all Reason 3. Check the newest remix "Noor ala noor!"It comes from very unusual film "Minakshi" the director is actually our greatest painter M.F. Hussein. Not only great artist but unusual personality, I remember him from my students days parties, always barefeet- he started it after Mahatma Gandhi assasination. He is ancient indeed but kicking, fundamentalists freaked out because the dancing dervishes in that song were female, so as "oppressed minority" they banned the film- so absurd since the content of the song is highly spiritual. Anyway not only he made a visually smashing film, wrote the lyrics of the song ( very mystical) It is one of the songs that I had to remix because once heard was resonating for days in my head, so had to do my interpretation- only the vox comes from the original, the unworthy rest from me)
try to find it through some Indian groceries "Meenakshi tale of 3 cities" - visual treat, specially songs, the original music is from my friend A.R .Rehman.

audioel

Re: EM-1 & live

Post by audioel » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:13 pm

computo wrote:
audioel wrote: Not much else to it really - I also sometimes take the EM1 out for my live DJ gigs, and just sync it up by ear with some basic beats to beef up my tracks in Live.
Why dont you sync it live?
Because that way I can start & stop it, write patterns, cue the patterns in the DJ mixer, and not have to start & stop the trasport in Live. They stay in pretty good sync just from matching the tempo, and ocassional ret-triggers.

Also, that way it's less cables, no midi interface, and it's more fun. :)

- Gustavo
Nude Photo Music
Visit our site at http://www.nudephotomusic.com
Follow us on http://twitter.com/nudephotomusic
Listen on http://soundcloud.com/nudephotomusic

Machinate

Re: EM-1 & live

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:16 pm

computo wrote: Why dont you sync it live?
Because that way I can start & stop it, write patterns, cue the patterns in the DJ mixer, and not have to start & stop the trasport in Live. [/quote]
you can't write patterns without stopping playback? oh, *total* deal-breaker!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:05 pm

(Talking about the EMX)

No, from reading the manual I'm pretty sure you can write patterns on the fly, Reason ReDrum style.

But please let me know.

I've been reading up a bit. Sound on sound has a review online that was very positive. korg.com has quite a lot of sound demos and the manual. sonicstate.com has two demo videos.

What I see as a drawback is that you can't layer individual loops (ie. one instrument with it's pattern, called a part in Korg language) at will. Instead, you always group/save everything as a "pattern", which is up to seven drum parts and up to five synt parts. You can't just add another (premade) part on the fly on top of that. You can edit/create a part on the fly if you want (and have a free part of course), mute and solo parts, but you cant just grab a part from another pattern and layer it on top while playing.

I think this is due to the effect routing/settings which is pattern specific. Still, it would have been nice to have a part library from which you could copy while playing. Ie. Live style looping :)

Can anyone confirm?

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:12 pm

Michael-SW wrote:(Talking about the EMX)

No, from reading the manual I'm pretty sure you can write patterns on the fly, Reason ReDrum style.

But please let me know.

I've been reading up a bit. Sound on sound has a review online that was very positive. korg.com has quite a lot of sound demos and the manual. sonicstate.com has two demo videos.

What I see as a drawback is that you can't layer individual loops (ie. one instrument with it's pattern, called a part in Korg language) at will. Instead, you always group/save everything as a "pattern", which is up to seven drum parts and up to five synt parts. You can't just add another (premade) part on the fly on top of that. You can edit/create a part on the fly if you want (and have a free part of course), mute and solo parts, but you cant just grab a part from another pattern and layer it on top while playing.

I think this is due to the effect routing/settings which is pattern specific. Still, it would have been nice to have a part library from which you could copy while playing. Ie. Live style looping :)

Can anyone confirm?
You have to use two of them, which as always, gives you more flexibility anyway :)