Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:26 am

Ableton cracks are like crack, people get hooked then have to buy it.

mdb

Post by mdb » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:26 am

Abletons copy protection has been hacked for awhile now. Sure, there were a couple of groups who cracked it and missed the "phone home" stuff and a lot of people would get locked out of the software after 1-3 months. But thats not true anymore.

I started with a cracked copy of Ableton too, which eventually led me to buy the program. I probably wouldn't have bought it or even knew about if it wasn't for that. So, cracked products benefit software companies in many ways too. And whoever thinks otherwise is living in a bubble.

And whoever said no ones been able to crack it without the copy protection errors coming up is wrong. H20 did it and AiR has done it as well. BEAT is the group that never properly removed all the copy protection which resulted in the program locking you out after a couple months.

I know many guys who use the cracked version even though they purchased the product. Because the copy protection on Ableton really makes *you*, the customer, some kind of child having to answer to daddy. And they don't want to answer to anyone about software they purchased.

Its like buying a car from Ford and after driving it a certain amount of times You have to call ford and ask them if you can drive your car some more. Gotta love the software business. :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:33 am

mdb wrote:Abletons copy protection has been hacked for awhile now. Sure, there were a couple of groups who cracked it and missed the "phone home" stuff and a lot of people would get locked out of the software after 1-3 months. But thats not true anymore.
I don't what your sources are but I frequent some of the very dark places of the net and every download torrent I've ever seen after a few months has comments saying "it stopped working on me!!" I watched it happen with about a dozen different cracks of 5.** and I watched it happen with cracks of 5beta even. even the h20 crack eventually fails and he's supposed to be the crack king.

but if anyone is curious I assure you I use a legal copy now.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:36 am

Sorry John, I know quite a few people who use the crack without EVER seeing any issues. Like I mentioned earlier, a few of my friends have used the crack for years with no timeouts or anything else. They now own the app after getting hooked on it.

mdb

Post by mdb » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:40 am

I know thats not true. I have a freind thats been runnng the first h2o version of it and hes still goin strong after many, many months.. like seven or eight months now.. (i forget exactly)

Maybe it depends on some other mysterious configuration or something. But i know that theres a lot of people that complain about the BEAT version locking you out, but ive never seen any complaints about the H20 version..

Who knows, being legit keeps you out of that trouble.. until you need an unlock key again after you redid/upgrade your system 3 or 4 times.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:49 am

The obvious benefit of buying it is that you always have updates and you pay them to see features that you want in the software that you like.

I'm totally happy with the buy and I also got it from a discount cuz I was updating from live lite to live 5.2 and then I get live 6 for free. What could be better than that? Sampler and operator incorporated? :)

lowmax

Post by lowmax » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:58 am

psilopsyche wrote: My friend and I worked on my boxed DEMO version (WTF LOL) and made a really sick song already, so I'm keeping this running until I get my serial number hopefully Monday. :lol:
correct me if i'm wronge, but i think once you unlock live with ur serial, u will have to restart it to get out of the demo mode, so i don't think you can save ur song... not totally sure about this though.

I had a similar problem, abes didn't update my profile and i had to wait for a couple of days before i got my serial. I got hooked with a song i was making in the demo, and i was dissapointed that i could'nt save it so what i did was finished the song in demo mode, and recorded it into another audio track, leaving the recorded audio in the live folder. Upon exiting Live asked me if i wanted to remove the recording from the folder and i said no...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 am

Tarekith wrote:Sorry John, I know quite a few people who use the crack without EVER seeing any issues. Like I mentioned earlier, a few of my friends have used the crack for years with no timeouts or anything else. They now own the app after getting hooked on it.
maybe they have, I'm not saying abletons copy protection is completely perfect and that no cracks have ever been sucessful, but I've seen hoards of people get mad when their cracks stop working. and these cracks are from all of the top crackers and all versions. so maybe some peoples cracks work fine but I've never seen anyone be able to claim a difinitive "perfectly cracked" ableton that never stopped working. I think the people that don't have problems are just simply the lucky ones. but I could be wrong.

I saw the copy protection violation probably a dozen times since version one when I started using it. I've used probably that many different versions from that many different crackers. I once used a crack for a year before it crapped out.

anyway like I said I don't mean to imply that EVERYONES will fail. I'm just sharing my experience and what I've read on torrent sites time and time again.

and the fact of the matter is, if theres even a chance a program might crap out on you wouldn't that kinda worry you a little bit? I got a copy protection violation once at a show....

anyway I feel like I have to say again that I am a legal user of live now.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:01 am

Live is the only program I didnt use a crack of first - as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it and just couldnt be arsed pissing about looking for a crack, and the M-Audio delta version gave me a good upgrade deal anyway

someone quoted statistics here the other day that they estimate there are 6 crack users for every one legit - that's pretty depressing when trying to run a business

anyway, all the stories like this seem to be when people bought from a dealer - I've never heard this happen direct from Ableton - you'd think the dealers would take more care to stop it happening - they certainly have to find other incentives to make you buy from them

and as for your problem - if it helps, Ableton have been very kind with their demo version and "resample" still works - so if you get your track to a level where you're happy to commit to audio then you can resample, then copy the audio file - quickest way I find is with an external audio editor right click>manage sample file>edit>save as from editor>done

a crude way of saving your track elements in case your computer crashes or you want to do somethign different

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:32 am

I originally ordered Ableton from the Apple Store online and it came with the serial number on a piece of paper in the box, and also stickered to the CD. That was version 1.5 though...

Ableton doesn't include serial numbers in their boxed purchases? Even when buying from retailers? That's kind of odd, I don't think I have ever bought software that doesn't have the serial number included in the box.

** edit - I'm tired. I see you say your box didn;t come with a serial number, as in it was accidentally left out as opposed to whatever I was thinking and I am not really sure exactly what I was thinking.

I'm going to bed.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:19 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
mdb wrote:Abletons copy protection has been hacked for awhile now. Sure, there were a couple of groups who cracked it and missed the "phone home" stuff and a lot of people would get locked out of the software after 1-3 months. But thats not true anymore.
I don't what your sources are but I frequent some of the very dark places of the net and...
Dark side? I think that the websites with shopping carts are the dark side!
Apple Macbook 1.83 + 2GB RAM | Live 7 Demo

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:46 am

lowmax wrote:
psilopsyche wrote: My friend and I worked on my boxed DEMO version (WTF LOL) and made a really sick song already, so I'm keeping this running until I get my serial number hopefully Monday. :lol:
correct me if i'm wronge, but i think once you unlock live with ur serial, u will have to restart it to get out of the demo mode, so i don't think you can save ur song... not totally sure about this though.

I had a similar problem, abes didn't update my profile and i had to wait for a couple of days before i got my serial. I got hooked with a song i was making in the demo, and i was dissapointed that i could'nt save it so what i did was finished the song in demo mode, and recorded it into another audio track, leaving the recorded audio in the live folder. Upon exiting Live asked me if i wanted to remove the recording from the folder and i said no...
OMFG! You're a lifesaver. Thank you very much for that. :P

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:54 am

smutek wrote:I originally ordered Ableton from the Apple Store online and it came with the serial number on a piece of paper in the box, and also stickered to the CD. That was version 1.5 though...

Ableton doesn't include serial numbers in their boxed purchases? Even when buying from retailers? That's kind of odd, I don't think I have ever bought software that doesn't have the serial number included in the box.

** edit - I'm tired. I see you say your box didn;t come with a serial number, as in it was accidentally left out as opposed to whatever I was thinking and I am not really sure exactly what I was thinking.

I'm going to bed.
In fact you're on the right track. I purchased the educational version of Live (which isn't anything different except for a 'educational version' sticker on the box and it comes with a little card that has your serial number on it), but being that my shipment was grossly delayed they sent me the standard retail boxed version which you get when buying directly from Ableton - problem being that it has no serial because they email it to you. The retailed didn't account for this, and Ableton has no idea they need to email me my serial.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 am

forge wrote:and as for your problem - if it helps, Ableton have been very kind with their demo version and "resample" still works - so if you get your track to a level where you're happy to commit to audio then you can resample, then copy the audio file - quickest way I find is with an external audio editor right click>manage sample file>edit>save as from editor>done

a crude way of saving your track elements in case your computer crashes or you want to do somethign different
Thank you very much for this! :!:

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:04 am

I don't wish to be the proverbial forum ASSHAT but ......
If you used cracked software etc that's your business.
I do however find it offensive that people should discuss the cracked version of product X in product X's own company official user supported forum.
Personally I just find it to be in plain bad taste and generally disrepsectful to those that code and create the said product for us.
If it's "out there" it's "out there" and there isn't really much one can do about it.
That said our legal purchase and use of said products helps fund further user enhancements and product development.
Personally I don't appreciate threads of this nature in the Abe's user forum.
A little bit of respect generally goes a long way.
I am far from financially cashed up and have zero intention of using a cracked version no matter how readily available it may or may not be.
I'd love to be using Live 6 now but for the moment that isn't a financial viability.
So I'll keep plugging along with Version5 until I can afford version 6 (well actually Live6 + Sampler + Operator to be exact).
Atleast I know my money will be going to a great bunch of people who generally and genuinely listen to the needs of it's end users.
I also know that purchase will help fund future development of the product for ALL USERS to benefit from.
Threads like this are just plain counterproductive to the longevity and product cycle of the company on many levels.
So perhaps people would like to think first before they post.
Is this thread really needed and is it really warranted in context of a new Live release in the general user forum ?
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....