MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27 pm

@ koranek, i was in NY. Could've been a voltage thing, but that's what i'm using a surge protector for.... right? No? I dont know :lol:

@ donny, yes i tried it. And of course, it's a great idea if a project ever gives me any trouble. For now, all have been 100% stable at 256 so i took the buffers back down to that. Thanks :)
Tone Deft wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:I was just listening to some tunes on someone's MySpace profile :lol:
oh, I bet it was a flaky clock going to your box. windows and other OSes probably aren't completely elegant in their interface to audio gear. the chips in your sound card are driven from those clocks, if they change rate too fast or drop out or do something like that they can lock up. all those chips have certain specs to them, things they can and can't tolerate. my bet is the OS burped and locked up the design, no biggie. that code wasn't written by audio people, it was computer people with no understanding of what can happen with audio gear. I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks Mr. Tone, that makes sense. I cant say i KNEW what was happening but I had a feeling (and hoped!) it was something like you mentioned.

I havent had any problems with the Ultralite again after that day, so all is back to normal YAY! Lets hope it stays that way

bendybones

Re: MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Post by bendybones » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 pm

@AquaTek
-sorry for your troubles
-sorry I can't help...
-but thank you for this:
aqua_tek wrote:what the fucking fuck?!
:D
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

tx81z

Post by tx81z » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:36 pm

rab

Post by rab » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:25 am

I have the same problem as shown in the photo in the original post. I use a Dell Precision 690 workstation with winblows XP SP2. In the bigbluelounge thread, someone has noticed that the CueMix console will report an error while the problem is happening

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:33 am

sorry, but the motu ultralight is the worst audio-interface i've ever had. it sounds like shit, the firewire-port (expectin a fucking texas-chip) is a shame and it's too expensive..........

i will never ever touch this bunch of shit again. tithed more than 900 buckz for this piece of crap and even a cheap m-audio-interface has more soundquality.

my opinion.......i know there're a lot of peoples with good experiences out there. but in my case it was a debacle........
regards,
thom

rab

Post by rab » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:57 pm

More sightings of this problem, this time on MacOS:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... Post561918

I'm going to sell this thing, take the loss, and get something that actually works. It's too much of a pita having to reset the box several times each day (and at times, several times every hour).

taximouse

Post by taximouse » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:40 am

i've had this happen many times (meters peaked, incredibly loud digital noise). for me it is when i've left the device sitting, and then come back after, say 20-30 minutes (i.e. right as i walk onstage). the only solution i've found is to restart it. this means i don't bother and always power down and back up before a performance.
MacBook Pro 2.93 Ghz, early 2009, 4GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
Live 8.1.4
Motu Ultralite + FCB1010 + SooperLooper + cello

twitter: zoecello
http://www.zoekeating.com

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:32 pm

This likely has to do with your firewire chipset. The Ultralite doesn't play nicely with much else other than TI chipsets. I went through 3 different cards on my desktop (2 with TI, 1 without) machine until I found the right one. If your laptop doesn't have a TI FW chipset, you're basically SOL.

It does, however, work flawlessly on my Mac Book. Ultralite is awesome. And that guy who said M-Audio stuff sounds better? Hahahahahahahaha riiiiiiiiight.

philipc

Post by philipc » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:33 am

This exact same thing just happened to me on my Macbook running Windows through Bootcamp. Weird, I just read this thread yesterday and thought "I hope that doesn't happen to me". Motu really need to pull their fingers out on this one. Has anyone brought their attention to this thread?

UnitedElectric

Post by UnitedElectric » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 am

I posted this in another comment:

Just figured I'd give it a try here. I use the Ultralite and have had some wierd noise things happen (same thing as shown here, whacky level meters and nasty noise, etc.). I found out that XP SP2 has a firewire problem, seems the firewire through-put was downgraded in SP2. There is a firewire fix on Windows website that you can install and a registry edit changing the firewire data through-put and it hasn't bugged me since.

This link worked for me, hope it helps: http://thoughtyard.com/twiki/bin/view/M ... TechReview

I once thought it was a windows-olny glitch, but i guess I was wrong. I followed the directions in the link and it never happened again to me. Recently, I unplugged my laptop from the wall on accident and everything went whack-balls again and I was forced to restart. It's only happened once and only in that circumstance.

G.

Post by G. » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 am

i get this problem more than one time with windows, never with os x.
i fixed it by increasing the vector size (buffer, or latency, use the word you want) in the motu setup utility.

cheers

g

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:10 pm

yeah i get this problem in xp (bootcamp) on my macbook pro also.... never had it in OSX, i think i would die if i ever did, its been rock solid so far.

I guess its been good in some strange way as its forced me to make the full switch to OSX, probably would have kept going on XP if the motu would have worked fine.

two tips above sound interesting, ill try them out

cheers
-Dan

rab

Post by rab » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Under WinXP, this problem seems to occur in one of two ways:

1) Randomly. Out of nowhere, on an idle machine, the box goes nucking futs.

2) When opening another audio app, such as iTunes or quicktime player, while Live is opened. I have no grounds for speculating here, but if I had to guess it seems like some sort of bad interaction between the ASIO driver (used by Live) and the MMIO/whatever driver that the "normal" apps use to access the system audio device.

krushing

Post by krushing » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:17 pm

Well, fucks. My Ultralite performed completely flawlessly under WinXP, then I switched to OSX, no problems...until yesterday, it just randomly did this thing. I had Live playing back a rather simple loop while digging for some cables in another room, and suddenly there's a blast of white noise, crackling, the meters on the UL's LCD imitating a rollercoaster ride, ie. the works. It did it again later on that evening, but worked ok after that. Fuck.

pieter

Post by pieter » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

how weird. bought mine yesterday. it already happened (crazy meters, pops and cracks). restarted the sequencer and it's back again.
i've worked with ultralite in a studio (OSX too) for years and without problems???