MacBook Or MacBook Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Arnold-Rimmer wrote:I was also considering macbook or macbook pro.

I won't use a firewire audio interface (just my usb one ,which is good enough for me), maybe a firewire external drive (dunno yet), so is a standard macbook fine?

To me paying a significant amount more for a pro just for a better graphic card doesn't seem worth it.

Plus the macbook I think is lighter to carry around. I don't like the white colour though. Seems it will get grubby quickly and paying 200 more for a black one is ridiculous.

Any opinions?
I got a black MB. Yea, shame on me paying the extra but here it's "only" $100 more and it really is a nice looking machine.

I did Tarekith's performance test on it and it came out at 50% so it seems powerful enough.

condra

Post by condra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

I vote second-hand or refurb MBP.

I love my macbook but the build quality is shit.

Every time I use my brothers MBP I regret not waiting an extra couple of weeks and getting one.

glu

Post by glu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 pm

get a macbook pro, last version for $1520 after mail in rebate...damn...

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbookpro/
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Love my MacBook. 2GB RAM. Considered the MBP, but couldn't justify the extra cost.

If I were gigging out constantly, or music was my profession instead of a hobby, I would've gotten the MBP.

I think the build quality is actually quite good. To say that it's 'shit' is extreme.

The size is perfect. The MBP seems like a briefcase in comparison.

The MacBook gets a bad rap around here, and I can't figure that out. Guilt over paying an extra grand? :lol:

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:53 am

i have a black macbook, second generation, 2.16Gh, 2Gb ram
i use it for college, and making music, and as an everyday computer
i thought long and hard about the macbook, macbook pro
and really really couldnt see why.

being down i usb port, fair enough bit of a bummer,
firewire 800? dont even have a device that only works over it.
PCI slot, no doesnt effect me, it depends do you really need it

and the age old question of intergrated graphics, never bothered
my music making one bit.
i do like the small size and less weight for carrying around over friends MBPs
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm

The MB is rock&rollish but the i just found the MBP to be rock&rollier....

I chose the MBP because of the screen, the extra usb, fw800 and the TI (all other reasons made me want to use the TI as a excuse to)....the MB is toootaly worth the cash i think, if u want osx that is...but i just prefred the MBP

my suggestion is, go to a local store and compare them....if preformances/cash is your main criteria....go for the MB....if u want all the extra crap...go for the MBP...its easy as that...

i like the backlit keyboard, screen, discrete graphics and so on...o i thought it was worth it...on the other hand, i would never pay extra for the MB to be black...i dont think its worth it...

the same applies to you, u might not think the bigger/better screen or the extra inputs are worth it.... you wont know until you compare for yourself

it all comes down to this, what are u ready to sacrifice....cash?...size?...screen?....
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:19 pm

MB pro looks the nuts.

I'm sure at least some of you when weighing up features vs price were heavily influenced by the fact the MBP is just cooler than the MB.

If I had the cash to send, I'd get one. I'd justify it to myself because of better firewire and dedicated graphics, but I'd want one because it has a nice titanium case. Mmmm.

Go on, admit it.

Barnaby1

Post by Barnaby1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:50 pm

thanks guys all of this is really helpful!

music is really a hobby and i'm not sure if i (my parents :P) can justify the extra money. although i did just find out that my school offers a $250 discount on the pro so it may help my decision out a little bit. now...i just need to convince my parents haha

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 am

andydes:
ill be the first to admit that i really like the looks of the MBP and that aprox 50€ was justified by the looks alone... so that leaves 500€...

och bull...atleast 100€....

maby more?

damnit a whoooole lot of cash went to the looks of this damn thing...

but to be honest, i prefer working with the mbp for long runs.....

Barnaby1: go with the MB....when the next upgrade comes...kick it MBP style...or maby something else if apple starts makeing crappy computers
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2