Live in NYC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blue alien

A Party for the PowerBook Hearty NYC

Post by blue alien » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:33 am

From Wired News, available online at:
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,53735,00.html

A Party for the PowerBook Hearty
By Leander Kahney

On July 18, Wired News will host "Lapdance," a showcase of Macintosh
technology shaking up the New York club scene.

The event will feature New York PowerBook DJs. Instead of records on
turntables, these audio artists spin tunes from their laptops.

Lapdance will be held at the Remote Lounge, a "digital entertainment
lounge" in the East Village at 327 Bowery.

The Remote Lounge is a gadget-lover's paradise. Decked out like a Buck
Rodgers space pad, the lounge is sprinkled with 60 or more digital cameras filming the occupants, the bar, the DJ booth and a few "surprise" locations.

The camera feeds are displayed on more than 100 monitors, projectors
and "cocktail consoles" around the lounge.

The 30 consoles are retro-style booths with a video screen and a
joystick for controlling cameras around the club. From the consoles, guests can order drinks, check out other guests and interact with other console dwellers via text message or phone. Their images are transmitted to other consoles in the club. Video is streamed from the club's website, which allows virtual clubbers to interact with guests in the lounge.

There's a control room where guests can plug in their laptops and
project their own digital creations.

The Remote Lounge accommodates up to 300 people and is offering a
two-for-one drink special for Lapdance. Vouchers will be handed out at Macworld Expo.

The lineup of laptop DJs will include Lloop, playing ambient dub; QPE,
head-nodding futuristic hip hop; Kudu, live drum and bass soul; Akida, a versatile DJ of many styles; Xerobase, a musician with Soulive who plays down-tempo hiptronica; and Lance Blisters, who DJs an "intense mix" of IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) and Braindance.

Beth Coleman, aka DJ Singe, and a leading light in NYC's multimedia
scene, will also play a set.

The music will be accompanied by a performance of live, interactive
video mixing by SquareSquare and the multi-user immersive video synthesis of the Share video crew.

The music and visuals kick off at 9 p.m.

Lapdance is free and open to all.

memetic

Post by memetic » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:35 pm

tjwett wrote:being a Powerbook owner, i am obviously broke ; )
could you make me punch something by telling me what you paid for that computer?
ah, but that would be telling . . . ;-)

ok, it was $2099, after the $100 rebate. had to take an after-hours flash5 gig (with an obnoxious, insatiable client) to pay for it, but definitely worth it in the end!
tjwett wrote:oh, and what's "LAPW 5.1.3"?
LAPW = Logic Audio Platinum for Windows

cheers

::| m e m e t i c |::

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:01 pm

thanks. i don't feel any better. as a Windows Logic user, what are your plans for the future? gonna go Cubase eventually? i use Logic on Mac but i still think what they did sucked.

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:58 pm

Memetic,

Apologies for being completely off-topic, but I have some questions regarding getting Flash gigs(being a newbie). Would it be possible to discuss this via email?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

memetic

Post by memetic » Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:30 pm

tjwett wrote:thanks. i don't feel any better. as a Windows Logic user, what are your plans for the future? gonna go Cubase eventually? i use Logic on Mac but i still think what they did sucked.
actually, i have no plans to migrate to cubase. of all of the packages out there, cubase is the one with which i'm least familiar (so maybe i'm speaking too soon?). but logic as it stands now (or as it will stand after 5.2 release) is still a very powerful program, as i'm sure you're aware. yes, i was in shock with the initial announcement -- the sense of abandonment and feeling like you've been booted out of "the club" totally sucks. but after doing a fair amount of side-by-side comparison in the audio quality of logic / reason / sonar, i have to say that logic's *sound* is clearly superior (to my ears, at least). there's something about the effects plugins that just create this very full and present sonic atmosphere that i haven't been able to match in reason or sonar. and now with Live added to the mix, well, let's just say i've been doing a LOT of single-channel bouncing.

i also fell prey to emagic's ingenious marketing technique, and blindly used the es2 in a couple of new tunes . . . now, the demos have expired, and i've got to redesign those sounds. i was actually going to pick up the es2 on the day of the ill-fated announcement . . . but now, of course, emagic will not see another penny from me; i grabbed absynth instead! so just give me 5.2, emagic, and have a nice life!

the bottom line is that i've got enough tools to work with . . . i really don't feel a need to jump platforms or applications. as long as what i've got works dependably and i'm getting the results i'm after, i'm happy. and, as i said, so far so good.

<fadeout>

so, hmmm . . . let's see . . . all i need now is a surface one . . . and a pair of mackie monitors . . . and some wireless networking stuff . . . and that pocket dial thingy looked pretty cool too . . . .

</fadeout>

memetic

Post by memetic » Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:45 pm

Rx wrote:Memetic,

Apologies for being completely off-topic, but I have some questions regarding getting Flash gigs(being a newbie). Would it be possible to discuss this via email?

not sure how much help i could be . . . it was kind of a 'one-off' thing.
but sure, feel free to email your q's . . . it's in the profile . . .

cheers