Which budget monitors did you buy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

Genelec 8030's.
Best speakers i heard for my budget and the perfect size for my studio room.

Stace

Post by Stace » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:26 pm

dru wrote:Samson Rubicon R5A's. Nice and small for my setup.
Soon as I get rid of the wife they are the one's I'm after!! :D
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:36 pm

ive heard nothing but good about the behringer truths. i have yet to make budget monitor purchase, but will hopefully shortly. despite the behringer name im going with them because a guy on another forum that i post on that does professional audio stuff for a living uses them personally in his home production and raves about them.

verbala

Post by verbala » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 am

I know I know I said the "B" word but I swear.. Behringers Truths are sooooo nice and accurate for the money, its really kind of amazing...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:39 am

Nothing Genelec is budget, that is the whole purpose of their being, that they don't compromise so don't get some cheapo pale imitation made in china manufacturer to put a genelec label on it and sell it for 350 bucks.

They are great monitors but everything is still subjective. There are even some producers who prefer M-Audio EX66's to the equivalent Gennies in that price range. And there are JBL who often have decent speakers and the new Digidesign monitors that are getting rave reviews.

But the question was BUDGET monitors. This is the territory of Alesis MkIIs, Samson Rubicons, Blue Sky EXOs, Event ALPs, Yorkdales and KRKs. All of which are quite good for their price (some of them might require a sub to really give an accurate picture of the bass, but the mids and highs are pretty good) and if you have a small room, get a smaller monitor, don't get a KRK 8 for a tiny space, get a KRK 5, otherwise standing waves, reflections and other abnormalities will blur the quality.

On the other hand, if you have a bigger room, then get some basic acoustic treatment and get the 8's or equivalent. And if you have the budget, get the Genelecs or Adams or JBL etc.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 am

just got the generation 2 KRK Rockit 5's with the 10" sub for my small studio and i really love them. i haven't heard a lot of expensive monitors in action, but these are the best sounding speakers i've ever had. really clean, present sound with deep bass. i'm hearing stuff in my mixes i couldn't even hear with my headphones before. plus the snazzy yellow woofer looks cool. cost $600 for all three. sweet...
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi, I found some Adam 7 returns in Turnkey.. Bought them .. Don't regret it one bit!

Hd

Stace

Post by Stace » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:28 pm

Damon_Chambers wrote:ive heard nothing but good about the behringer truths. i have yet to make budget monitor purchase, but will hopefully shortly. despite the behringer name im going with them because a guy on another forum that i post on that does professional audio stuff for a living uses them personally in his home production and raves about them.
Futuremusic mag issue 199 did an article on Ian Carey in the studio, he's using a pair of Behringer Truth B2031A's (he's also using a pair of Alesis M1 moniters as his secondary's). He said the following on the Behringer Truth's; "Basically, these are inspired by the Makie design but don't sound as bright. I guess it's similar to the NS10 theory that you have to work hard for your mixes to make them sound good".

There's an Ian Carey Production Masterclass vid on the DVD as well. I thought it was a good article overall.
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Adam A7s
a/b'd them in the shop against the Dynaudio (over £100 more) and they kicked their ass

creature

Post by creature » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Bluesky Mediadesks for me too. amazing monitors for the price. Blew the socks off anything else I listened too :-)

Steve

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Yamaha HS80M, because to me, listening to a wall of monitors in the shop, the HS80M sounded least Hifi in their pricerange with plenty good enough detail in all frequency ranges (plus they look pretty classic and cool).

Major drawback is the slightly hissing noisefloor even at lowest gain setting. The "idle" noisefloor and power-consumption is always the same regardless of gain-setting (very delicate ears can hear a very faint raise in the noisefloor at over 3'o clock). I use them at only 9 o'clock (with 12 o'clock being the +4 dBu marker) so that I wont have to attenuate via analog or digital mixer, else they would be too loud for studio works.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm getting my Adam A7's in 2 weeks or so!

I can't wait :twisted:
Got Guru in the mail today too. :twisted:
Whohoo fun times ahead.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:21 am

creature wrote:Bluesky Mediadesks for me too. amazing monitors for the price. Blew the socks off anything else I listened too :-)

Steve
Yeah, our monitors rock! :twisted:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:25 am

Grappadura wrote:
creature wrote:Bluesky Mediadesks for me too. amazing monitors for the price. Blew the socks off anything else I listened too :-)

Steve
Yeah, our monitors rock! :twisted:
u work for Bluesky?

im a huge fan of the mediadesks :)

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 am

skullNbones wrote:just got the generation 2 KRK Rockit 5's with the 10" sub for my small studio and i really love them. i haven't heard a lot of expensive monitors in action, but these are the best sounding speakers i've ever had. really clean, present sound with deep bass. i'm hearing stuff in my mixes i couldn't even hear with my headphones before. plus the snazzy yellow woofer looks cool. cost $600 for all three. sweet...
+1
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17