ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:57 am

so wait... making an image of your drive and then replacing everything on your drive with the image? what does that accomplish? take it all of and replace it with exactly what was on there?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

stew

Post by stew » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:15 am

Such a long thread for such a simple topic?

Do what I usually do: Never unlock online. Instead, do the "Unlock Offline" procedure once and save the response. Reuse the response when you reinstall your OS the next time, it will work.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:15 am

stew wrote:Such a long thread for such a simple topic?

Do what I usually do: Never unlock online. Instead, do the "Unlock Offline" procedure once and save the response. Reuse the response when you reinstall your OS the next time, it will work.
that doesn't work...and this thread is simply too low on the totem pole.

bump bump bump :o

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:01 am

This is the stupidest thread ever..... EVER!

Anyone that reinstalls their OS once a month needs surgery.

-Ben

hujib

Post by hujib » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Although I think reinstalling your system once a month is a little much - I use Live to perform and work regularly on pre-show prep and I have often had to switch hardware last minute and it's a real pain to not be able to log into Ableton's site and request a new authorization and cancel an old one (NI, IK Media, Etc). Obviously I'm not switching hardware intentionally, but we've had laptops blow up last minute - it's very frustrating and worring to know if we need to deauthorize/reauthorize we can't quickly. Esspecially on a weekend. In the past 2 years we've had to request 6 new authorizations and they have all been at times when we can't get them and have lost valuable time in the studio. Seems like a simple soultion to use web-based systems that similar companies in the music software industry have available 24/7 to their clients. No?

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:16 pm

wow...i guess i'm not the only "moron" with a computer. the more i find out about the problems across the board with this type of copy protection, the more i resent how i've been treated on this forum. check out this conversation about copy protection of tassman.

http://community.applied-acoustics.com/ ... .php?t=150

even if no solution here or there, i sure would have appreciated being treated with some respect and understanding. says alot about this community.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:17 pm

are you still talking about this? jesus.....

aren't you over due for a reformat?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:17 pm

"2. We should not have to get a different response, everytime we reinstall to the same hardware. We should only have to get a new response when our hardware is updated, a new hard drive for instance. It is very frustrating and annoying to have to continuously re-register the same program, for those of us who reformat and reinstall Windows routinely."

NO! i can't believe there are others like me. just unbelievable. 8O
Last edited by darthstephen on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:19 pm

"yes sorry to say I will never buy another product that has this kind of challenge response protection. A shame really because I was about to pull out my card and pick up tass 4, but I will not deal with this form of activation. Sorry, I appreciate wanting to protect your material. But I have many more programs that I can install to my hearts content, that I would never abuse their rights as creators, to waste any grief over this kind of installation rubbish."

holy crap...another person who shares my concern. this is remarkable. 8O

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:are you still talking about this? jesus.....

aren't you over due for a reformat?
i think i'll occassionally post examples from other software companies, i find it informative to look at what people are experiencing. and it's also really entertaining for me at this point.

and yes...i am do for a reformat. haven't done one since the start of this thread. :D

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:48 pm

no one ever said you were the only one that didn't like the protection, but you are the only person who reformats monthly and you are the only person that thinks ableton is unfair for thinking you're doing something suspicious when requesting a new response once a month. of course they will think you're suspicious. the people on the other thread don't reformat monthly. most people do it like once a year if that.

I'm done with this. seriously I can't talk to you without calling you names and thats just not nice.

one

Post by one » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 pm

stephen - you for sure know: a harddisk has 2 ID's. One is the 'burned in by wire ID'. And the other ID, changes everytime you format your drive. I'm sure, you know that...

dj donnyman

Post by dj donnyman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:00 pm

MrYellow wrote:This is the stupidest thread ever..... EVER!

-Ben
Preferably a lobotomy

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:13 pm

well whatever, as a client, he should own the right to use his software and make everything he wants with it, including resintalling 10 times a day, without being asked by the abes...
I ahd the same problem with win xp after real troubles with a motherboard.
I agree challenge-response is less pain than dongle, and myabe it's needed, but, 1st, it doesn't seem to stop any cracking, second i also own some software with just serial, and nobody is flying with my personnal registration. it's just an ethical way of thinking. as paying softwares (I m not at the good place to speak, as I won my live 4) is an ethical choice (combined with a legal necessity).
I agree his behaviour is strange, and that formatting ten times is a bit unusual, but hey, I think you should'nt be that hard with him (and advice him to buy 70$ softy just to einstall peacefully a soft he already owns!!).

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:15 pm

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?