what do you guys use for audio output from your laptops???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loophead

Post by loophead » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:47 pm

Im using the Motu 828 mk2. I had one problem and I got great customer service from them. That said I have since dumped my DP4 and Mach5 software !

If you want the best sound quality however then no doubt - hands down get a Metric Halo ! Only problem is no integrated midi input which was one of the reasons ($) I opted for the Motu.
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:56 pm

I've had mine for nearly a year now and its true the drivers were dodgy to begin with....but the latest release now seems pretty solid on my system and I don't encounter any of the problems you describe....

Tim

TiBook 1 Ghz IG Ram
OS 10.3.3

mX

Post by mX » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:13 am

M-Audio Firewire 410

I love it. Very solid!

hugolp

Post by hugolp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:51 am

Hi!

I have a indigo i/o, its perfect for travelling. Though three or four times has died and I had to restart, and I wrote echo twice and they didnt answer. I think the my soundcard is bad, so Ill try to get a new one with the guarantee.

Now I need more ins and outs, so I am deciding between m-audio firewire 1418 and the edirol FA-101. I liked a lot the Motu 896, but the Motu 828, can only record one estereo track into the computer and thats bad :( They should upgrade the software, cause they got a great piece of hardware!!!! Can anyone recomend me any of those two? Or another one with similar characteristics?

Hugo

PD: I like too the M-Audio TAMPA. Is it worth the prize or its better to pay some more and get a valve preamp?

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:02 am

thats not correct is it?
the motu 828 can record more than 1 stereo track at a time right..... I hope so I was looking at getting that one.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:35 am

Anonymous wrote:thats not correct is it?
the motu 828 can record more than 1 stereo track at a time right..... I hope so I was looking at getting that one.

Yes the MOTO 828 can record up to 8 tracks at a time ... hence the name. Actually, if u include the ADAT in I think it can record more....??

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:14 am

elemental wrote:

Yes the MOTO 828 can record up to 8 tracks at a time ... hence the name. Actually, if u include the ADAT in I think it can record more....??
Yes...I've done live 16-track recording using the 828 and the converters on my old ADAT XT-20 running into the ADAT IN on the 828. Works quite well.

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:38 am

another vote for the RME multiface
never had a single problem.
the ONLY issu is that you can't use it with the 12" powerbooks cause they don't have a PCMCIA slot.
great drivers 0% CPU usage.
good DSP mixing and analyse soft!
cons: pricey!
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:20 pm

Yes, you can record a lot of track at the same time into the soundcard, BUT can you save them as different track into the computer (all at the same time)? I dont think so, you have to mix them in the soundcard and save them as one track only in your computer. Anyway, I send an email to the company asking. I will post when I know from sure, but from what I read in the webpage, I am afraid you cannot do it (as you can with the more cheap other two), and thats weird cause it maybe only a software thing...

As I said I will post when I get the answer.

Hugo
ekko wrote:
elemental wrote:

Yes...I've done live 16-track recording using the 828 and the converters on my old ADAT XT-20 running into the ADAT IN on the 828. Works quite well.

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yes, you can record a lot of track at the same time into the soundcard, BUT can you save them as different track into the computer (all at the same time)? I dont think so, you have to mix them in the soundcard and save them as one track only in your computer.

They all save as different, separate tracks. They come in as "Audio 1, Audio 2," etc. for the analog tracks, and "ADAT 9, ADAT 10" etc for the ADAT channel tracks...they are all complete, independant audio tracks. No "mixing in the soundcard" at all.

I've done this about 12 times in the last 2 months for live shows.

hugolp

Post by hugolp » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:08 pm

Thanks for the info. You dont know how important was this for me. I think I am going to buy a MOTU now. Ill talk to them about your comision fee ;-)

One last question: I dont care about the midi in/out as I alredy have one. I was wondering if the MIDI is the only thing the 828 have that the 896 dont?. Because for just a little more of money, with the 896 you get 196KHz sample rate (instead of 96Khz from the 828) and more preamps.

Thanks

Hugo
ekko wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Yes, you can record a lot of track at the same time into the soundcard, BUT can you save them as different track into the computer (all at the same time)? I dont think so, you have to mix them in the soundcard and save them as one track only in your computer.

They all save as different, separate tracks. They come in as "Audio 1, Audio 2," etc. for the analog tracks, and "ADAT 9, ADAT 10" etc for the ADAT channel tracks...they are all complete, independant audio tracks. No "mixing in the soundcard" at all.

I've done this about 12 times in the last 2 months for live shows.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:12 pm

i use a terratec producer phase 26 usb interface. it includes three stereo outs, one in and a midi interface. very good thing!
and: it is usb-powered! so i never have a problem in case the place where i dj or do a liveset has an unstable power supply (this was actually the reason why i switched from the m-audio quattro to the terratec. the quattro has its own power plug and used to stop and crash the software whenever the barman turned on his coffee-machine...)

katha

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:33 pm

Mac laptops have decent outs, good enough for a live situation. in the studio i would go with the best USB or firewire device you can afford. they all pretty much do the same these days. i like the Emagic USB cards personally.

Matgret

Post by Matgret » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:12 am

i warn you against the FW410, again only speaking from my own experience but M-audio stopped helping me sort my problems and i never managed to get a fully functioning system.

If you're not using XP tho, it'd probably b ok

Matt

what do people think of the eidirol fa101 for a laptop - im still looking to replace the fw410

mosca

Post by mosca » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:57 pm

firewire audiophile 24/96

no problems at all, plus cue mix is a bonus

mosca