APC40 creating high pitched noise

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sacredgeometry

Re: APC40 creating high pitched noise

Post by sacredgeometry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:52 am

hahahahasha i have never heard something more ridiculous in my life a bit of proffesional live kit making a little bit of noise is a problem? its not coming through the speakers is it? if not then who cares ...if your not playing music loader than a tiny little hum then to be honest thats your own damn fault and if so your audience certainly wont hear you.

what a load of tosh what about amps they have fans and tubes and they hum and whir what about old synths guitar amps ...um your computer? jesus christ

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

wackraps

Post by wackraps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 am

sacredgeometry wrote:hahahahasha i have never heard something more ridiculous in my life a bit of proffesional live kit making a little bit of noise is a problem? its not coming through the speakers is it? if not then who cares ...if your not playing music loader than a tiny little hum then to be honest thats your own damn fault and if so your audience certainly wont hear you.

what a load of tosh what about amps they have fans and tubes and they hum and whir what about old synths guitar amps ...um your computer? jesus christ

peace

brian
Have you heard this noise from your APC? Personally, it annoys the crap outta me. I'm not concerned with people hearing it live. Its just ridiculously annoying when I'm working on stuff at home. As many here have commented, it sounds like an issue of bad circuitry, not typical operating noise. I don't claim to be a gear guru, but I know enough about electronics to know this noise should not be present. Plenty of people are using this in studios too, not just live. Tons of people are reporting this issue, so clearly not everyone feels the way you do about this.

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:14 am

what kind of noise is it perhaps you could do a recording my apc isnt here until .......well about 11-12ish so i cant say anything yet but i cant imagine its louder than my pc with its 8+fans or my speakers with their 12-13" cones haha

i will report back and tell you later if mine has it...was it allways there or somthing that developed?

does it sound like an old camera flash like a high pitched whir or like a jack lead resting on a carpet .....like a low quite buzz

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:37 am

sacredgeometry wrote:hahahahasha i have never heard something more ridiculous in my life a bit of proffesional live kit making a little bit of noise is a problem? its not coming through the speakers is it? if not then who cares ...if your not playing music loader than a tiny little hum then to be honest thats your own damn fault and if so your audience certainly wont hear you.

peace

brian
Brian, some of us only have one room to use for music, and we have to record in our studios, sometimes using microphones that pick up the slightest noises. "Oh, it's a tiny little hum" you say. Lets take that slight hum and multiply it 18 times because I've just recorded 9 stereo background vocal tracks and summed them together. Sure you can gate it out during breaks, but you'll never remove it from those really quiet vocals or other mic'd recordings. You said it yourself, albeit spelt it wrong, when you said professional kit. I would expect a piece of professional kit that isn't made to make any noise, to not make any.

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:11 am

i have some very sensitive condensers and to be honest......point the damn mic away from your computer anyway otherwise you will pick up alot more than just your apc ....i bet you it will pick up all sorts of noise in before it has a slight chance of picking up the subtle hiss of the apc. i am sorry if that is simply not good enough for you its my opinion and im not sure if i am the only one who shares it but whatever.ive lived in towns and in the middle of nowhere so i know that there is allways noise/sounds trying to isolate it in your home is impossible without spending a lot of money.

timothy i only have one room for music and i know that this is to be used only with a computer and if you are telling me that this will be picked up over any computer you are just plain silly....unless you are running water cooling and even then your psu wont be i can go fetch a db meter if you want and measure my very quiet mac book pro against the apc. sorry i didnt spell check and my grammer is all over the place i just got my apc and as you probably where i ....well i am having a load of fun.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

stapum

Post by stapum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Mine does that too... :(

mighty

Post by mighty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Just got mine yesterday and it to has a buzzing sound. I will return for new one.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49 pm

sacredgeometry wrote:i have some very sensitive condensers and to be honest......point the damn mic away from your computer anyway otherwise you will pick up alot more than just your apc ....i bet you it will pick up all sorts of noise in before it has a slight chance of picking up the subtle hiss of the apc. i am sorry if that is simply not good enough for you its my opinion and im not sure if i am the only one who shares it but whatever.ive lived in towns and in the middle of nowhere so i know that there is allways noise/sounds trying to isolate it in your home is impossible without spending a lot of money.

timothy i only have one room for music and i know that this is to be used only with a computer and if you are telling me that this will be picked up over any computer you are just plain silly....unless you are running water cooling and even then your psu wont be i can go fetch a db meter if you want and measure my very quiet mac book pro against the apc. sorry i didnt spell check and my grammer is all over the place i just got my apc and as you probably where i ....well i am having a load of fun.

peace

brian
you telling timothy how it is in the studio is hilarious. his little toe has more studio chops than your family line for all of time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 am

Tone Deft wrote:
sacredgeometry wrote:i have some very sensitive condensers and to be honest......point the damn mic away from your computer anyway otherwise you will pick up alot more than just your apc ....i bet you it will pick up all sorts of noise in before it has a slight chance of picking up the subtle hiss of the apc. i am sorry if that is simply not good enough for you its my opinion and im not sure if i am the only one who shares it but whatever.ive lived in towns and in the middle of nowhere so i know that there is allways noise/sounds trying to isolate it in your home is impossible without spending a lot of money.

peace

brian
you telling timothy how it is in the studio is hilarious. his little toe has more studio chops than your family line for all of time.

nope not telling anyone anything i don't know or care about how much time someone has spent in a studio and certainly didnt mean to offend anyone, merely suggesting that my apc doesn't make enough noise to worry about it, so maybe i am a lucky literally need to be an inch away before i start to hear even the slightest hiss.

On a cardioid shaped condenser with it pointed in the opposite direction would not pick it up (I have allready tried and layered 24 tracks) which i would recommend anyway because of various reasons i would not point a studio mic in the direction of your equipment....various rack mounts computers cause interference beyod the gently whirring of fans and buzzing of components.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

JazzT

Post by JazzT » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:11 am

Hi guys. Have to say when I´d read this post , suddenly went to switch on my Apc40 and I just listen de noise but its is very very low, then I turn on my macbookpro and open a live session, when I did that all noises has gone guys so I dont think it is an issue. Try that and you see how the noise has gone

Just my two cents

Regards
JazzT
MacBook Pro, Live 8.0.4 Suite, APC40, motu Ultralite, Remote SL 25, Urei 1601S, Akiyama DS-505
http://www.myspace.com/jazztmusic

wackraps

Post by wackraps » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 am

JazzT wrote:Hi guys. Have to say when I´d read this post , suddenly went to switch on my Apc40 and I just listen de noise but its is very very low, then I turn on my macbookpro and open a live session, when I did that all noises has gone guys so I dont think it is an issue. Try that and you see how the noise has gone

Just my two cents

Regards
JazzT
Thanks for getting the thread back on track, but unfortunately, no, this does not change the sound. I'm still waiting on a replacement from Guitar Center. Hopefully a new unit won't have this issue but the number of people reporting the same problem is making not making me any more optimistic.

JazzT

Post by JazzT » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 am

wackraps wrote: Thanks for getting the thread back on track, but unfortunately, no, this does not change the sound. I'm still waiting on a replacement from Guitar Center. Hopefully a new unit won't have this issue but the number of people reporting the same problem is making not making me any more optimistic.
Sorry to hear that, could someone more try what I did?

JazzT
MacBook Pro, Live 8.0.4 Suite, APC40, motu Ultralite, Remote SL 25, Urei 1601S, Akiyama DS-505
http://www.myspace.com/jazztmusic

channelite

Post by channelite » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:58 pm

I spoke to an Akai tech person on the phone and he said small amount of noise is suppose to be normal. But that doesn't change the fact that I can hear it and it annoys me. I'm considering putting my APC on ebay even though the APC's features are awesome and I'll be sad to see it go.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:29 pm

sacredgeometry wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

peace

brian

nope not telling anyone anything i don't know or care about how much time someone has spent in a studio and certainly didnt mean to offend anyone, merely suggesting that my apc doesn't make enough noise to worry about it, so maybe i am a lucky literally need to be an inch away before i start to hear even the slightest hiss.

On a cardioid shaped condenser with it pointed in the opposite direction would not pick it up (I have allready tried and layered 24 tracks) which i would recommend anyway because of various reasons i would not point a studio mic in the direction of your equipment....various rack mounts computers cause interference beyod the gently whirring of fans and buzzing of components.

peace

brian
then stop arguing with people or taking the f-ing 'peace' bullshit out of your sig and the banana out of your ass. :P

you should care. it's a big world and the web is all over it. you come off like a know it all and take no consideration that just maybe other people are giving good feedback, you're just choosing to ignore it because in your own little world you have it all figured out. you're actually telling people how it is in THEIR studios on the other side of the planet. that's quite arrogant IMO. I'm not familiar with you, you seem to talk the talk, I KNOW timothy knows his shit, when he says he hears he it, he hears it, and you tell him he doesn't. :roll: 'sup with that?

/rant :D

the way I'm interpreting all this fuss is that the noise is different for different people. clearly for myself and others the noise is really really really low, quieter than the drives. I would have never noticed or cared or posted if people were whinging constantly about this.

I'd love to get some real evidence from a whinger, grab an SPL meter or do some sort of recording that puts the sound in perspective.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:24 am

I'm not being argumentative i was just stating and obvious and quite valid point you where the one to retort with personal criticisms. I said that most people with common sense don't point their mics at their computers especially when using it as a argument for the amount of noise they have from one piece of equipment...if you think that's unfair i apologies.

i didn't say he didn't, i just said that in the situation where he has a piece of equipment that has a compulsory connection with a computer it is hard to believe that it would be louder....which in my case is true...i am so sorry that you got one of a bad batch i didnt thus far mine is silent i even did tests to the cause ...i am sorry this information wasnt of value to you but it might go towards proving that your apc is not functioning the way they should and might infact help you get a refund...or get it repaired.

peace (no i will not take this out because it is a genuine sentiment no matter how angry a person you are or how much you dislike me i wish you no harm)

brian
Last edited by sacredgeometry on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace + Hugs

Brian