What's the optimal laptop for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nicka

Post by nicka » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:32 pm

i think there are only several laptops produced at the mo that use the amd 64 chip so its a case of finding a detailed spec for each one!

http://www.dabs.com/uk/templates/produc ... =athlon+64

you only other option is to buy a usb2 hub that has both usb and firewire ports as i have seen one in future music before!
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger

stevie_si

Post by stevie_si » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:29 pm

fingers ,where abouts in scotland you at?
I tend to float around between aberdeen and glasgow.
Nice to see some live users up here in the wilderness.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:18 pm

Fingers wrote:And while I'm on, does anyone know of any pc laptops that have 6-pin firewire ports that can supply bus power to my fa-101? It would be nice to really make the most of centrino's battery benefits.

Are there any powerfull laptops with two firewireports and a pmcia slot?
It would be nice to have loads of power when only running Live.
I've been away from windows ever since win98. Does XP allow you to run ONE application without chrashing? Havent touched it to be honest. All i have are (bad) memory's.

I need a powerfull laptop that is able to run Live 4, a firewire audio i/o, a pmcia audio out and a firewire hard drive. I dont care much for battery life because i'll need power anyway for my rack synths.
Been looking through most of the info from this thread. And besides a powerbook i dont find any laptops that have the ports i require.
Getting the most audio i/o out of a laptop seems the most important thing imho. If you're gonna buy a laptop to play / make music alone anyway, better make the best of it.

sebastian_renix

Firewire ports

Post by sebastian_renix » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:24 pm

The beauty of firewire is that you can daisy chain : ) In most cases, you don't need to ports on the computer to get two devices hooked up. All firewire hard drives have two firewire ports on them (plug one into the computer and the other into the second device) and almost all modern firewire audio interfaces have two ports as well so you should be good to go with any laptop with one firewire port.

hoffman2k

Re: Firewire ports

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:42 pm

sebastian_renix wrote:The beauty of firewire is that you can daisy chain : ) In most cases, you don't need to ports on the computer to get two devices hooked up. All firewire hard drives have two firewire ports on them (plug one into the computer and the other into the second device) and almost all modern firewire audio interfaces have two ports as well so you should be good to go with any laptop with one firewire port.
unfortunatly for me i have a m-audio fw-410. It came with so many warnings i barely dare to touch it :).
The fw410 can not be daisy-chained. but even if it could, i would still wonna have 2 firewire ports. Just in case prices drop in mixers with firewire interface.
Need to make the most out of it.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:24 pm

stevie_si wrote:fingers ,where abouts in scotland you at?
I tend to float around between aberdeen and glasgow.
Nice to see some live users up here in the wilderness.
i'm in the wilds of glasgow, mostly.
enough with the damn t-shirts...

nicka

Post by nicka » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:57 pm

I need a powerfull laptop that is able to run Live 4, a firewire audio i/o, a pmcia audio out and a firewire hard drive.
if it does only have one forewire port then u can just get a usb2 hard drive whihc is a little faster than fw
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger