Absolute NERDIEST, GEEKIEST use of Ableton Live. EVER.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:37 am

supster wrote:NOTE:

Is anyone else getting a login box when they access this thread. Looks like a standard PHP login popup form

"enter username and password for http://fsklog.typad.com

It is only coming up on the first page of the thread. Reproducable.

:?:
Somebody put up a direct link to a picture on one of the posts on the first page. When your browser tries to download the pic, the hosting site asks for a password. Just tell it to fuck off and y'all should be fine.

rasputin

That's frigging awesome

Post by rasputin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Mammalux wrote:I have a laptop built into the headboard of my bed and can use Live to provide a seamless musical backdrop and mood to my lovemaking. Thievery Corporation segues seamlessly into the old K & D and Tosca balling grooves before picking it up a little with some speed gabba and then getting good down and dirty with 50 Cent. Where appropriate I can fire off little snippets of vocal exclamation (sighs, snorts and the odd "Oh My God"etc) together with the odd flesh puckering sound lifted from off a Limewire download. All this is totally handsfree, sporting as I do a quadraplegic's headbrace and rubber tipped pointer with which to massage the keyboard and banks of Faderfoxes positoned cunningly though precariously on candle stands around my boudoir. I don't know if this tops the D & D stuff but it sure as hell must give it a good run for it's money........shame I'm still doing it on my own though.

Peace
So...can we see some pictures of this phenomenal setup? (In action, if possible...)

r.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:29 pm

Mammalux wrote:I have a laptop built into the headboard of my bed and can use Live to provide a seamless musical backdrop and mood to my lovemaking. Thievery Corporation segues seamlessly into the old K & D and Tosca balling grooves before picking it up a little with some speed gabba and then getting good down and dirty with 50 Cent. Where appropriate I can fire off little snippets of vocal exclamation (sighs, snorts and the odd "Oh My God"etc) together with the odd flesh puckering sound lifted from off a Limewire download. All this is totally handsfree, sporting as I do a quadraplegic's headbrace and rubber tipped pointer with which to massage the keyboard and banks of Faderfoxes positoned cunningly though precariously on candle stands around my boudoir. I don't know if this tops the D & D stuff but it sure as hell must give it a good run for it's money........shame I'm still doing it on my own though.

Peace
that's nothing

I'm just a head

in a jar

all the shit that happens around me is performed by robotics controlled via a cat-7 lead plugged into my neo-cortex near where my spine used to be

it's awesome, i dont have to be caught up in all that superficial physical appearence bollocks, I just live like a machine and live forever

so long as no one forgets and switches the power point off I'm fine

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Peace
Wow, add a girlfriend to that and you might just have something there.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Does anybody else get asked for a password when they click on this thread?

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:55 pm

you can use the follow actions to roll the dice for you :D

robin

Post by robin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:00 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Does anybody else get asked for a password when they click on this thread?
yeah...strange that.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:02 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Does anybody else get asked for a password when they click on this thread?
me too. :?

Maybe it's some kind of Dungeon Master thing.
Last edited by Sales Dude McBoob on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:03 pm

It's this link here that's doing it.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Ah. I guess it's not malicious then. Just a posted picture thats on a secure server...

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:41 pm

as someone who started with chainmail before D&D, and still has the original TSR basic set (i'm trying to pull rank here), i've gotta appreciate the lengths you're going to to be a good DM. but other posts have me thinking that live session view may be the perfect way to have the equivalent of an audio choose your own adventure book (and you can throw in randomness, too, which would make the adventure different each time). this might be as lifeless as dragon's lair or whatever that first choose your own adventure vid game was with dirk. but i'm thinking you load up live with audio clips, i'd likely steal from movies b/c i'm lazy. each scene is a different room. rather than rolling the dice when you (e.g.) get into a fight or try to jump over a chasm, follow actions make the determination for you. and you have to player input choices via midi pads (not sure how speed might play into it, but you could set quantization up so that the faster you respond, the better odds you have of reaching a desireable outcome/scene). and for someone who's really ambitious, you tie this all to synced video or images, even if only in live, so you're looking at a picture of the chasm or monster of whatever. but seriously, i think interactive audio game via live could be brilliant, particularly for kids (the lack of visuals is the only real problem, but there are ways around it). i hereby copyright the idea (even though you can't really copyright an idea as such).

Spikee

Post by Spikee » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Well, I have nothing that compares to this as this is just friggin genious. Well done good man. :)

On a less-nerdy tangent though, I had just finished levelling a priest in World Of Warcraft but decided that I wasn't happy with the character's direction, didn't like being a healer anymore, et cetera... so I decided to roll an Undead Warlock on the Blackwing Lair server.

Character name? Ableton.

Every now and then people whisper to me "Ableton? As in Live?" and we get a conversation started. I have a distinct affinity to this character though as he is the epitome of 2 things I love -- music production AND killing. If you're by chance on the Blackwing Lair server throw me a line and if you're in my battlegroup and are in the 20-29 bracket... you'll see me and learn to hate me if you're alliance. :D

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:
hyerstay wrote: You could also cue up some sound effects for common spells and such.

jh
oh ya... cool! God bless those one-shot unquantized clips in RAM mode! A good synth or SFX sample CD should give me all the spell and moster noises I could possibly need.

I'll have to get some "clang"s "smash"es, "Ugh"s and "AIIIEEE"s too for battles.

hyerstay wrote:
Give a mic and an effects channel to each player, plus yourself.
Neat idea - However, if I implement it, the players don't get mics, only the Dungeon Master. :twisted:

Yeah, I've done something similar with a friend of mine when we would play "war" with our model tanks and airplanes. I'm totally serious and admitting this...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Spikee wrote:.. so I decided to roll an Undead Warlock on the Blackwing Lair server.

Character name? Ableton.
I did a track with my buddy: A theme song for his WoW clan... That's about as far as I've gone, but then again, I've spent litteraly hundreds of hours building racks for the Covert Operators. Both remarkably geeky things, in my opinion!

EDIT: hope he doesn't mind me linking this here:
http://ogoranu.mine.nu/media/Ogoranu.mp3
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:29 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:
kabuki wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:Wasn't there a big scafre in the 80's about kids committing suicide based on how their characters turned in D&D - wow
Yeah, all based around a few dumb kids that took it WAY too seriously. My mom gave me a pamphlet around that time about suicide and the dangers of Satanic cults :P
For a good laugh (at least I think it's funny) check out my esteemed ideological opponent, the fundamentalist cartoonist Jack Chick.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0099/0099_01.asp
Amazing. What kind of idiot THINKS of this shit??