Any tips for learning Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Any tips for learning Live 8?

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:58 pm

clamber wrote:Okay I have a question, should I just get Live 8 or Live Suite?
On Friday I am going to buy some of Cosm's tutorials as well as Steamworks.
Also, will I need to buy any software instrument packs?

Thanks,
Coby
depends on what you want to do...

me, i hate when i use software and i want to try something and i get a message that says "that feature is not currently installed" or worse, it lets you use the feature and when you try and save it says that its just gonna remove that one bit... :evil:

if you can afford the Suite right now you probably won't be disappointed. if cash is tight though, start with standard app and then add on as needed.

one cool thing with Live is that the pricing is customized to what you have. so if you buy say Operator and Sampler and then want the whole Suite later you will get somewhat of a discount because you already have those 2 components... at least, that's how i remember it...
somebody, anybody, PLEASE chime in if i'm off base here...

clamber

Post by clamber » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

H20nly wrote:
clamber wrote:Okay I have a question, should I just get Live 8 or Live Suite?
On Friday I am going to buy some of Cosm's tutorials as well as Steamworks.
Also, will I need to buy any software instrument packs?

Thanks,
Coby
depends on what you want to do...

me, i hate when i use software and i want to try something and i get a message that says "that feature is not currently installed" or worse, it lets you use the feature and when you try and save it says that its just gonna remove that one bit... :evil:

if you can afford the Suite right now you probably won't be disappointed. if cash is tight though, start with standard app and then add on as needed.

one cool thing with Live is that the pricing is customized to what you have. so if you buy say Operator and Sampler and then want the whole Suite later you will get somewhat of a discount because you already have those 2 components... at least, that's how i remember it...
somebody, anybody, PLEASE chime in if i'm off base here...

Oh ok, does anyone know how big of a file Suite is? I cant find where it says on their site.

Once I get into the program more, where can I get more sounds/loops? Buy or free, doesn't matter

Thanks.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm

I think its around 1.5 GB... that's a guesstimate since I'm at work and can't actually check.

The library is the real bulky piece though. I don't think Live's devices really add that much in the way of bloat per se. I think its an unlock vs. an add on situation.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 pm

clamber wrote:
gjm wrote:Before you buy Ableton, the best $50 you will ever spend will be to go to buy this overview video. (or a similar in depth overview)

Reading the manual and doing the in built lessons will be hopeless and frustrating if you are new to all of this.

So that is a really good learning material? I dont mind paying that as long as it will really help me.
Yes. I have watched this video tutorial, along with several others, and it is the best one I've seen. Going through this tutorial, along with the built in Live tutorials, will likely put you ahead of most users.

Nick's Tutorials are also recommended for learning Sampler, Operator and Analog in detail.

Edit: The free tutorials out there and in the Tips and Tricks forum are mostly excellent, well worth the time to watch. The MPV tutorial is different however, as it was designed to be a comprehensive overview for someone like you, new to the program, wanting a strong foundation in a relatively short period of time. In my opinion, the YouTube videos, and the Live manual itself, will have more meaning, and more value, after having watched the MPV video. In any event, it is worth the $50.

clamber

Post by clamber » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:12 am

So I think Im going to get the Live 8, I dont have the money for Suite even though I really want the instrument packs.

And Ill buy some tutorials, I just need to decide which ones.

Core Live, Cosm, or Steamworks? Any other suggestions?

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 am

gjm wrote:Before you buy Ableton, the best $50 you will ever spend will be to go to buy this overview video. (or a similar in depth overview)

Reading the manual and doing the in built lessons will be hopeless and frustrating if you are new to all of this.
Just got an email from Macprovideo saying they are offering 33% off all HD downloads for the silly season. You should see if you qualify. Send them an email.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller