Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Re: Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 am

I live in Amsterdam I'm used to the cold weather so that's OK for me although a bit warmer would definitely be nicer. Apart from that I'm pretty happy. The Dutch are a bit boring but it's a big melting pot of races nationalities and cultures. The council's got some stupid anal rules like you can drink on a terrace in the summer but not standing up (WTF?) but it's still one of the most the most liberal places in the world, yes you can get married when you're gay, yes you can smoke a joint, take something stronger which is illegal but for possession for personal use you won't go to jail and if you're dying and in a shit lot of pain, it's legal to knock yourself off with medical assistance.

Paris London & Berlin are 40 minute flights away. Population is under 1 million so it's small and you bump into people you know in the centre, especially in the summer. Even though it's small, bands seem to love playing here and there's never a shortage of stuff to do, electronic is good too and in the summer there are some seriously intense festivals.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 am

imho it really depends on what it is that makes you happy, for instance I love los angeles because I hate to have to depend on anyone for anything, this doesn't mean that I don't like people but what I don't like is having to depend on others for my happiness in paticular, los angeles allows you to be the individual that you are, if you're the type of person who only has a group identity then it's not the place for you because you need to speak in mass, party in mass, follow your ambitions in mass, but if your identity is individual based then it's the perfect place.

I love that I can go here or there in los angeles, get along with and build relationships with a variety of people who could be nothing like me, alot of other places in america seem like borg territory in comparison. basicly I'm not the type of person that gives a fuck about being from (insert fav geographical slang here).... and when I meet people I don't care where they are from either. I don't like being in environments where people act like disrespect is something to be proud of cause to me it's just disrespect and in los angeles I'm able to still be civil with those I don't get along with without having to hide that I don't get along with them.

but it's worth repeating again, no matter what kind of person you are you need to pay attention to that and not the places in question, some people need to be in a place where no one is cursing, some need to be in a place where people are always talking loud, the point is to plug into what it is that makes you happy even if it's other people cause you might find out that the sustinance you need is largely located in a place you never would have thought but you won't find out if you focus on the places more than yourself.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 am

starving student wrote:imho it really depends on what it is that makes you happy, for instance I love los angeles because I hate to have to depend on anyone for anything, this doesn't mean that I don't like people but what I don't like is having to depend on others for my happiness in paticular, los angeles allows you to be the individual that you are, if you're the type of person who only has a group identity then it's not the place for you because you need to speak in mass, party in mass, follow your ambitions in mass, but if your identity is individual based then it's the perfect place.

I love that I can go here or there in los angeles, get along with and build relationships with a variety of people who could be nothing like me, alot of other places in america seem like borg territory in comparison. basicly I'm not the type of person that gives a fuck about being from (insert fav geographical slang here).... and when I meet people I don't care where they are from either. I don't like being in environments where people act like disrespect is something to be proud of cause to me it's just disrespect and in los angeles I'm able to still be civil with those I don't get along with without having to hide that I don't get along with them.
:lol:

Obviously you'd know better because you live there but I still have to laugh that your description is pretty much the polar opposite of the impression other people have of LA.

I have friends there and have only visited, but every time we've gone out I always got this vibe that the place was Hollywood's version of what they think a scene would be, like they just erected it for that night and loaded it with acting extras, and some of the pretension and overreacting I've gotten in these places is unparalleled, especially from security. I'd say it's because I went to touristy places but this was with locals so I think they'd know better than to take me to those spots.

But the people I've met outside these places have been cool and most people have some kind of creative side to them.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:45 am

there in lies my point, there are people like that for sure but they're standing right next to other people who are not like that (your friends hopefully), that's my point, I like the thought of commune living but not when it comes to my personality, for instance there's alot of talk about fame and los angeles but in any starbucks line you'll find celebrities and people that don't care about celebrities, everyone is equal and you might have friends who breed poodles and others that eat poodles at the same party

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 am

beats me wrote: :lol:

Obviously you'd know better because you live there but I still have to laugh that your description is pretty much the polar opposite of the impression other people have of LA.

I have friends there and have only visited, but every time we've gone out I always got this vibe that the place was Hollywood's version of what they think a scene would be, like they just erected it for that night and loaded it with acting extras, and some of the pretension and overreacting I've gotten in these places is unparalleled, especially from security. I'd say it's because I went to touristy places but this was with locals so I think they'd know better than to take me to those spots.

But the people I've met outside these places have been cool and most people have some kind of creative side to them.

I've lived here my whole life, and I NEVER run into this because I dont party at trendy nightclubs nor do I associate with industry douchebags. LA is full of interesting people and a diverse array of scenes and cultures one can become involved with, so long as you LOOK for it. And believe me, if it exists, its represented here. However, nothing falls in your lap here, and this is why transplants and lazy angelinos report the "hollywood" superficial scene to other people. They never bothered to find out about loft parties downtown, star wars burlesque shows, dubstep at old mob hangouts, idm parties on the cliffs overlooking malibu beach, guerilla drive-in movie theaters in abandoned parking lots, etc etc. The list never ends, but you have to FIND it and keep active. Nobody is going to hold your hand here. And most people who live here have no clue either, so just because they're local doesn't mean they actually have any idea what this city has to offer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:55 am

I suppose LA gets a lot of bad press and it is really easy to find the places you might not want to be once you get inside and because of it's massive size you would really have to seek things out, unlike the total 7 square miles of SF where you're likely to just stumble into something cool by accident.

Tell me if this true. I've heard if you just dial a random number in LA there's a more than 50% chance the person who picks up doesn't speak any English.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 am

I love watching those real estate programs where they highlight some fucking shithole shack that's 50 miles outside of LA (or San Fran, for that matter) and it's going for $950,000.00.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:46 am

beats me wrote:I suppose LA gets a lot of bad press and it is really easy to find the places you might not want to be once you get inside and because of it's massive size you would really have to seek things out, unlike the total 7 square miles of SF where you're likely to just stumble into something cool by accident.

Tell me if this true. I've heard if you just dial a random number in LA there's a more than 50% chance the person who picks up doesn't speak any English.

All true. NY is similar to SF in that you can wander around and find cool shit. That is an impossibility here in LA.

Also true on the phone numbers. Every time somebody calls me by accident, they never speak english and I can't explain to them that they misdialed (you'd think they would figure it out once they heard that I dont speak their language).
LoopStationZebra wrote:I love watching those real estate programs where they highlight some fucking shithole shack that's 50 miles outside of LA (or San Fran, for that matter) and it's going for $950,000.00.

I think those days are over

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:56 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I love watching those real estate programs where they highlight some fucking shithole shack that's 50 miles outside of LA (or San Fran, for that matter) and it's going for $950,000.00.

imagine you're watching that show while sitting in your first new home in the middle SF the night after moving in. the theme's price range that night would include your home. they show North Carolina, Texas and Arizona.

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

oblique strategies

Re: OT: NYC I love you but I may/(may not?) need a break.

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 am

#1thelark wrote:Maybe just visit a place that's even more 'depressing'... spend a winter (6 months w/o sunrise) in the north of finland or so.
Funny, last evening, after the sun had set, I was outdoors walking on a wharf & musing that it would be nice to live in a place that was in perpetual twilight. That deep blue darkness as the light fades away... Really my favorite time of day or night.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm

I loved nyc. Unfortunately I will probably never get to live there again because my career field is totally locked up by unions there. All the things I found annoying there are totally overshadowed by the things I love and miss about the city. I regret moving a lot.

I think New orleans is a good replacement city for nyc though. Its cheaper,the food is just as good, the girls are more attractive to me, and they have drive through daiquiri stands. I will be moving there in the next few years.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:23 pm

senator adam wrote:Maybe get a sunlamp? There's not much light in Seattle during the winter
Whenever Ive been there I get the impression there isnt much light there at all... Just lots and lots of drizzle and greyness. They should turn all the street lights into sun lamps :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 pm

My location is very pleasant but you can't have it.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote: my girlfriend and I have come up with a new plan:

Live in Paris for a year!

We're not really sure how to do it, if we'll have to go to school or get some kind of visa or something, but, we're both New Yorkers and we both feel like Paris is a place we could live for a stretch of time and get a lot out of it.
DO IT! :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote: my girlfriend and I have come up with a new plan:

Live in Paris for a year!

We're not really sure how to do it, if we'll have to go to school or get some kind of visa or something, but, we're both New Yorkers and we both feel like Paris is a place we could live for a stretch of time and get a lot out of it.
DO IT! :D
absolutely, the point is it doesn't matter where you go to... really, but it's an amazing and eye opening experience to go abroad no one can ever take that from you.

the best thing i ever, ever did in my live is to just pack up a few things (seriously only as much as i could carry, that included a record box, though... :D ) and go abroad and travel... it get's harder the older you are... go as quick as possible, home will be always home and you can return to that anytime.
*** Image GAFM ***