Maschine as VST in Ableton Live (full, useful tutorial)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
h0ch.grat

Re: Maschine as VST in Ableton Live (full, useful tutorial)

Post by h0ch.grat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks
this works great. I don't use Maschine as a standalone DAW when I play live, so this does the trick to trigger maschine via ableton!
And even more you can still play some additional stuff on the maschine to it, great.
The only thing I'm missing is transfering midi patterns from Maschine to ableton. Any suggestions on that? Maschine does not support midi export...

Ralph Prollé
Macbook Pro 2,3 GHz //// i5 ////APC 20///Novation Nocturne///NI Audio 6/////

dj unknowntekniq

Post by dj unknowntekniq » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 pm

hiphopdontstop wrote:The reason it only plays one note is because you're playing an Instrument track in Maschine... you need to set any instrument Group's Sound MIDI settings as mentioned in the tutorial... it will record the notes just fine, but only play back the root note of your progression (even if you have Keyboard mode set in Maschine).. the Sound MIDI settings for that group (right-click the group) matter in this case.... I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts. It is RECORDING the notes, right? Even if it's only playing back the bottom left pad?
can u please help me out here so if im in piano mode it will record the notes of all da pads but now iv got samples chopped up and i have copyed them to another group why wont it record of all the pads it only records the root note the first bottom left pad ??

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm

hey guys, I have set everything up as St Joe and HHUDS and Mixtape say, with the 8 midi tracks into Live -one for each Maschine group. Now when I play from one of the groups in Maschine, I hear the sound, and also it shows up on the right track in Live in the equalizer lights. Then when I hit record, it lays down the midi notes. So far so great. But then I go to playback, and there is no sound (though the equalizers are moving). Weird, so I try one of Live's instruments. Same thing. So i try a youtube video, no problem, sound is on. So I try live's metronome - sound is on! So live is hearing sounds from maschine, it's writing midi notes, its sound seems to be coming out through my fasttrack pro (well, the metronome anyway) but neither the maschine tracks it's laid down nor those from its own instruments will play back with any sound. This is driving me nuts. I even did St Joe's template all over again, same thing. I guess it must be with the audio and midi/sync options, but I don't know. Please someone help me!!! (MBP OSX, Live 8.3, Maschine 1.7, Komplete 8)

dj unknowntekniq

Post by dj unknowntekniq » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm

hi there can someone please help me as i have set it up like this but now when i chop samples into maschine and trigger the pads it either comes through with another pad & doesnt record in ableton & comes through chromaticly and i dont want the samples to play out that way how can i prevent that from happening so im chopping and loading samples in group 5 & 6 but when i hit the pads ableton only records the first pad C3 but i have samples on 8 of the pads the sound comes through but no data is going into ableton apart from the first pad sorry for my explanation dont know how else to explain

dj unknowntekniq

Post by dj unknowntekniq » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:14 pm

dj unknowntekniq wrote:hi there can someone please help me as i have set it up like this but now when i chop samples into maschine and trigger the pads it either comes through with another pad & doesnt record in ableton & comes through chromaticly and i dont want the samples to play out that way how can i prevent that from happening so im chopping and loading samples in group 5 & 6 but when i hit the pads ableton only records the first pad C3 but i have samples on 8 of the pads the sound comes through but no data is going into ableton apart from the first pad sorry for my explanation dont know how else to explain

can u tell me if i need to open another midi track next to group 6 so it so when i trigger the sample on the pads it will play back

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 am

is this still right in 2012 ?
i found an article on sos http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/a ... h-1012.htm
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:44 pm

OK everyone, I know this is way after the event and all that, but I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM WHERE ONLY THE ROOT NOTE PLAYS BACK, EVEN THOUGH ALL MIDI NOTES ARE RECORDED (see earlier posts on this thread). You do go to sound midi settings on the sound slot, as it says in this thread. Do what it says in the earlier posts. But after that, check what it says in low note and high note. If, like me, you see it says low note C2, high note, C2, that is your problem, you have to change the high note to F#8. Now don't try using the little arrows. Just keep clicking in the box til you highlight the c2, then type F#8 over it and hit apply. worked for me, and if this saves someone else about a month of tearing his/her hair out, I will be happy!

davidsl222

Post by davidsl222 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 pm

thegoodsirjames wrote:OK everyone, I know this is way after the event and all that, but I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM WHERE ONLY THE ROOT NOTE PLAYS BACK, EVEN THOUGH ALL MIDI NOTES ARE RECORDED (see earlier posts on this thread). You do go to sound midi settings on the sound slot, as it says in this thread. Do what it says in the earlier posts. But after that, check what it says in low note and high note. If, like me, you see it says low note C2, high note, C2, that is your problem, you have to change the high note to F#8. Now don't try using the little arrows. Just keep clicking in the box til you highlight the c2, then type F#8 over it and hit apply. worked for me, and if this saves someone else about a month of tearing his/her hair out, I will be happy!
Thank you. This tip did save me a giant headache. I expanded and set the range as C-1 to F#8 to be sure to catch everything and it worked.

Also, thank you to hiphopdontstop for the original tutorial and template. It works great with 1.8 and my MKII on a MacBook Pro.

Honestly, I've been with this controller for many hours for about a week and it's just starting to come together as a good tool for making music and it fits in with my NI Komplete seamlessly. In other words, it's made my entire Komplete set one stop shopping as a plugin within Ableton.

9 is out in a few days -- hope all works together still afterward.

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 pm

I finally figured this out. I was running into trouble when inserting Maschine as an AU plugin vs a VST plugin. When running Maschine as AU plugin the option to select "Maschine" in the Input Channel is not available only Pre and Post FX. Any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Zoser

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 am

I've been working with Ableton live using Maschine as a plugin (can't understand why anyone wouldn't). Does anyone know if it's possible to expand the Maschine screen in Ableton when being used as a VST plugin? I swear the 1050x660 window just isn't enough real estate. Still searching for this, but thought I'd post here as well.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 am

Alibra wrote:I've been working with Ableton live using Maschine as a plugin (can't understand why anyone wouldn't). Does anyone know if it's possible to expand the Maschine screen in Ableton when being used as a VST plugin? I swear the 1050x660 window just isn't enough real estate. Still searching for this, but thought I'd post here as well.
I have looked at doing the same, all I can find is the standard "View/medium/large" setting ...
Please post back here if you figure it out, I'll do the same.

obzhp

Post by obzhp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 am

I have Maschine Mikro and an APC40 and I'm trying to map my APC knobs to Maschine macros while running Machine as a VST within Ableton.

When I run Maschine as a standalone application, I can go to "Audio and MIDI Settings", turn on the APC40 and start MIDI learning on the macros. But in the VST ,this "Audio and MIDI Settings" option doesn't exist and MIDI learning is unresponsive to my knobs. Sometimes I can get the first knob to learn, but after that I can't get anymore.

Does anyone know why this doesn't work?

obzhp

Post by obzhp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 am

Nevermind, I figured it out... If anyone ever struggles with this in the future:

Use the "Configure" function on the Maschine VST box in Ableton and configure the Maschine Macro knobs. Now the knobs are linked to the Macro knobs and you can assign macros in Maschine to whatever you like.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 am

obzhp wrote:Nevermind, I figured it out... If anyone ever struggles with this in the future:

Use the "Configure" function on the Maschine VST box in Ableton and configure the Maschine Macro knobs. Now the knobs are linked to the Macro knobs and you can assign macros in Maschine to whatever you like.

Thanks for posting the follow up! It's very frustrating to find someone with the same problem you're having only to read nothing more than, "I figured it out" =]

critsheek

Post by critsheek » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 pm

ok, something is going wrong for me somewhere.

When i try to change the post/pre fx tab so it says maschine, it doesnt give me that choice maschine is not there as an option? whats going on?

cheers.