AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:Both things my Samsung LED TV does with no need for a box, no fuss just plug in the ethernet or configure the wireless...
How does it access your media library? Do you have to have it on your TV or can it access you computer drive(s)? Curious.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:36 pm

rudd1028 wrote:
smutek wrote:
rudd1028 wrote: Wow. I guess some of you are rolling in money because getting an APPLE TV plus having a Mac (where you can do more with than an Apple TV)surely isn't cheap.
I think it's more to do with being an adult, holding down a meaningful job, and building a life than it has to do with "rolling in money". Some people earn more than others and everyone has different bills, but productive hard working adults do tend to acquire things.

It isn't like they're talking about their Bugatti's or something - an apple TV is $99 and a computer is generally a professional investment. Buying something like this for an adult is quite different than having to go ask your parents, so I do see where you might be wondering.

Just know that eventually when you finish school, move out and get your own place you'll eventually be able to do the same, if you are willing to work hard that is.

It takes a little while to build things up and stuff but eventually it does happen. Are you planning on going to college after high school? It's not always necessary but it does help when job hunting.

Anyway, best wishes to you.
@smudgestick,
I'm guessing you are trying to be funny here by thinking I'm still in school and live with my parents?
Ever thought that I pay a mortgage,a car, food,Live 8, etc. and can't afford an Apple TV plus a Mac?
Oh boy.
I think I took your original statement with the sarcasm that was intended.

I rent and my car is paid off so I can afford Apple gadgetry at random. I'm nowhere near buying a house and I know (apparently unlike most of America over the last 5 years) that buying a house cost a lot more than just a fixed monthly payment. It's a whole other topic of discussion about people's obsession with house ownership that hasn't made a lot of financial sense for most of us for quite some time depending on where you live, but if I'm happy with "paying somebody else's mortgage" and am able to spend the extra cash on lesser items I enjoy I don't see what the issue is.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 pm

rudd1028 wrote:
@smudgestick,
I'm guessing you are trying to be funny here by thinking I'm still in school and live with my parents?
Ever thought that I pay a mortgage,a car, food,Live 8, etc. and can't afford an Apple TV plus a Mac?
Oh boy.
Oh wow, this is embarrassing.... my bad man. I'd read that post and some of your other posts and just assumed you were an angst filled 16 year old or something.

Noted, and apologies.
:oops:

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:40 pm

beats me wrote:
Digital_Damage wrote:Both things my Samsung LED TV does with no need for a box, no fuss just plug in the ethernet or configure the wireless...
How does it access your media library? Do you have to have it on your TV or can it access you computer drive(s)? Curious.
Can access any DLNA capable device. The Netflix service is built in as a widget.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:
beats me wrote:
Can access any DLNA capable device. The Netflix service is built in as a widget.
Did a little googling and am still kind of um. So the basic question is would I be able to access my media stored on my Mac wirelessly and it would be able to translate and organize those files in a way that makes sense?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:Jesus, the OP is a moron. Apple TV v 2.0 is POS, it provides nothing new...

Hateful Lies.

Kill yourself now.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 pm

beats me wrote: Did a little googling and am still kind of um. So the basic question is would I be able to access my media stored on my Mac wirelessly and it would be able to translate and organize those files in a way that makes sense?

No, the Samsung can't do that on it's own. Digital Dickhead is a mong.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Oh, c'mon. You're the anal one that's got to have all the definitions correct and thumbnails and stuff. :lol:

Me? I just throw em in! Well, I do change the movie tag to 'TV show' when necessary.

I remember being at a friend's who insisted he was going to show me the funniest thing ever. He spent a good 20 minutes flipping through his "its.always.sunny.in.philadelphia.s01e04" type file names doing the "hm, that's not it" quick previews before he just had to give up. That's not a hell I want to revisit or put somebody else through.

Obviously he's grabbing the wrong torrent. :lol:

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 pm

beats me wrote:
Digital_Damage wrote:
Did a little googling and am still kind of um. So the basic question is would I be able to access my media stored on my Mac wirelessly and it would be able to translate and organize those files in a way that makes sense?
MAC's are strangly the only major media device not using DLNA (I suspecton purpose, to maintain itunes dominance on MACS), but you can install twonky and make it one.

My TV does have media browsing, it even picks up on cover art.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: Did a little googling and am still kind of um. So the basic question is would I be able to access my media stored on my Mac wirelessly and it would be able to translate and organize those files in a way that makes sense?

No, the Samsung can't do that on it's own. Digital Dickhead is a mong.
sure does dumbass, infact my yamaha reciver and blueray player can do it too...

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/dlna_guide.pdf

Dipshit...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:10 pm

omfg.

Not the Digital Living Network Alliance!!!

Oh's No's!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, seriously. When that thing utterly and completely stops working and syncing - round about the next Windows update, I reckon :P - give me a call and I'll again explain to you why the AppleTV is the most stable and totally superior device.

( I feel I should end this post with an insult, but....what one? What feeeels right at the moment? Hmm.......hmm......)

Ball licker? No.
Ass Head? No.
Pig Fucker? YES!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 pm

OMFG.

THe whole DLNA / Samsung shit is PC ONLY.

lol.

Oh, fuck me. I should have known.

Another hamfisted attempt at riding Steve Jobs' coat tails.

Oh my.

:P

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:omfg.

Not the Digital Living Network Alliance!!!

Oh's No's!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, seriously. When that thing utterly and completely stops working and syncing - round about the next Windows update, I reckon :P - give me a call and I'll again explain to you why the AppleTV is the most stable and totally superior device.

( I feel I should end this post with an insult, but....what one? What feeeels right at the moment? Hmm.......hmm......)

Ball licker? No.
Ass Head? No.
Pig Fucker? YES!
To bad it is not a windows thing, and is a industry standard.

Read before you open your stupid mouth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlna

Like I said OP is a moron...

It is simple install twonky on a mac and stream, no need for a shit box apple TV.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

^ yeah but he's had it a whole day. He knows exactly how this thing is gonna work over the long haul. The really cool part is that it depends on iTunes which is so ingenious... having a music app manage all the gadgets that own you... I mean... you own. wow.

if only other companies could think of a way to force everything into being run by one app. imagine.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 am

H20nly wrote:
if only other companies could think of a way to force everything into being run by one app. imagine.

God, if only. If only.

Well, a girl can dream can't she?

*LoopStationZebra stares off into space; thoughts of actual competition for anything Apple makes in his head - which he only cares about because real competition might lower prices a tad. Or not.*