Very frustrated with the APC20 all of the sudden.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Verry frustrated with the APC20 all of the sudden.

Post by H20nly » Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 pm

cpyatak wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Da hand wrote:1. You have to plug the controller back into the same USB port - switching to a different port doesn't work
that's what i suspected you would say. some devices (like my Akai MDP24) will even want to reinstall the drivers (from firmware) when you change ports. pain in the ass if you move your PC and/or desk around and then plug in your MIDI controllers to "new" ports > install > OK > Next > install > OK > next...

hubs take away the pain - as long as you remember where they were plugged in :wink:

*hats off* to Apple for their USB any time anywhere trick... i was expecting that discrepancy to end with Windows 7. :x
That is a pain in the ass. At one point I decided to plug each of my devices into each of the USB ports, to make sure they were "installed" every which way. In general I just try to keep track of where everything gets plugged in, but sometimes... meh.

Do you find that you get any latency issues when going through a hub? I've always found that to be a problem even with ASIO and a USB 2 hub. As I said before I always try to go direct into the computer at least with my primary controller (ReMOTE 61SL)

Chris
i've tried the install-device-to-every-port trick too. works ok, can be hit or miss with some devices.

in regard to latencies you have to remember that the slowest piece of gear in the signal chain is always the weakest link. so you could have epic USB performance when plugged directly to your PC or to a powered 2.0 hub, but if you mess around and move a connection into a USB 1.0 port anywhere in that chain - you're done with higher performance. some good examples of this are USB ports on a case/tower... the ones in the front or on top are often standard USB 1.0 so i prefer to plug some items (such as a hub) into USB ports that are built into the motherboard - nowadays they have a tendency to be USB 2.0 and there fo mo betta