Your opinion will change my future

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chapelier fou

Re: Your opinion will change my future

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:03 pm

If i were you, since you have time, i'd simply start working with the gear i have, and then come back here with questions if needed.
Focus on the APC, chop your songs into pieces, have fun.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm

how bout a kaosillator..or, by then, a quneo...if that moneys just burning a hole....

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 pm

if you go to have on the money then why not and go to spend to go pursued your dream.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Whatever you think about my advice, don't let your ego eclipse your buttocks and follow your carrot without our peas...
First of all the one and only: four to the floor beat. Highly distorted, making all the other sounds redundant. Heavy PA overload recommended. You can play 1 bar loop throughout the whole performance. It works - believe me. First you have to be (easy level) or pretend to be (hard level) heavy on booze or/and pills. You have to shake your head, arms and the rest of your body totally out of rythm/sync all the time... You can make some extraordinary acts like peeing on the crowd or defecating on your gear. After the gig, for making your one night event fame eternal jump from the bridge or from other high building... You will be the legend. Forever!
Cheers.
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Goddard is right.

What equipment you do/don't have isn't important - the crowd can't see it and don't give a shit.

Just play a thoroughly pre-prepared tune whilst crossing your arms over as if awkwardly changing the values on two imaginary potentiometers. Nod your head and smugly survey the crowd like you did a ton of coke, occasionally raising your hand in a messianic way.

Works like a dream for Fatboy Slim and many others.
Last edited by beatmunga on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 pm

... and strobes

big industrial strobe lights set to different speeds, youll knock em ded

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 pm

You are the support act... I would focus on keeping a check on important things like...

1. Time constants for your set time: make sure you can expand or cut your set time to lengths dictated to you from side of stage at the last minute, preferably responding with a smile and "sure thing mate!".

2. Practice your set up and de-rig time: if you insist on creating a set with a mass of gear... rack it and patch it all up, so you can plug some xlrs, 1/4inch jacks, and/or rcas in anywhere into any desk, at a moment's notice. Nothing pisses off headline acts and backstage crew more than faffing around.

3. Make sure you don't have ground loop problems.

4. Have a backup-up option. In case everything stops, what are you going to do? ipod playlist?

5. Stay out of the headline act's rider.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 am

some good advice here! don't practice only at home, instead try to play at some friend's parties before the big show. One live performance (even in front of 2 people) is worth 10 rehearsals.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:15 am

thats some good advice...open mics too could help get the bugs out

ryryry203

Post by ryryry203 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 am

Im not super rich by any means I just have money culminated over a couple months

I knew if I got this job a couple months ago that id need a fund to buy equipment for the step up so I set some money aside from my pay and put it in my savings. If i didn't get it, I was most likely going to use it as a new apartement down-payment but things worked out.

Thats why Im asking...whats the best idea for me to do.

I think that the APC-40 is awesome but I'm considering only using ableton for production. Then id use a midi controller with Itch or get the mixer/CDJ combo...maybe get tractor but I don't regard tractor with a professional level although it has great effects.

Im getting the midi fighter and sound card, then looking to see if I'm confident enough on ableton or il make the call and go itch with some kind of setup depending on budget (which is $2000)

And good advice...and by backup plan if everything crashed...the best advice would be to bring an iPod? id have a backup mac because I think I'm going to be going threw two macs performing (or not but my gf produces with me and she has her own 15"mac with same setup as me so I might as well use it...depending on the venue and there deal with space)

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 am

Your understanding is probably totaly opposite of reality. As for realm of DJ, to use clip launch program mainly is rather percieved as noob. They are secondary tool to the turntables. If you have turntable skill you won't at least need nothing but the equipment which accept turntables to do DJing. Traktor is welcomed among those people, for it bring digital handiness to the analog. However, as everyone told, when you do performance on the stage as a producer you don't necessarily have to be DJ. You have good gears already. Be confident in your song.
Last edited by pencilrocket on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:12 am

ryryry203 wrote: Thats why Im asking...whats the best idea for me to do.
Jesus. Did you watch Tom Cosm's vid linked at the beginning of your thread? If not, do so. Do what he says with one of your Ableton produced tunes. Play with it for a week and most importantly, Think. You are more likely to find a direction for yourself.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 am

take half of that money and pay the best looking female dj you can find to dj your cut up stems, you just stand next to her dressed in a dress, try to look androgynous and wear some make up and since you're opening for knife party carry around a steak knife on stage occasionally threatening the dj with it while you're acting like you're giving instruction. also bring a huge ghetto blaster with you, when it's time for the most important break in your song, hold up the boombox high in the air above your head so that the crowd can see it and at the right moment press play on the radio to play only that part make sure the dj comes back in at the appropriate time. remember the most important thing is that they remember you so make sure you use a super catchy name like obamasbabysmamadrama so the people won't forget you later, and when you finish the set let everybody know
that you just completed your first 24hours sober in 3 years and tell everyone to pray for you, that'll solidify you in their minds. and have a good time.
and stay positive

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am

actually I just saw this, apparently you don't have anything to worry about. just make sure you have something to drink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkWOY0FgCc

Chriszat

Post by Chriszat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm

starving student wrote:take half of that money and pay the best looking female dj you can find to dj your cut up stems, you just stand next to her dressed in a dress, try to look androgynous and wear some make up and since you're opening for knife party carry around a steak knife on stage occasionally threatening the dj with it while you're acting like you're giving instruction. also bring a huge ghetto blaster with you, when it's time for the most important break in your song, hold up the boombox high in the air above your head so that the crowd can see it and at the right moment press play on the radio to play only that part make sure the dj comes back in at the appropriate time. remember the most important thing is that they remember you so make sure you use a super catchy name like obamasbabysmamadrama so the people won't forget you later, and when you finish the set let everybody know
that you just completed your first 24hours sober in 3 years and tell everyone to pray for you, that'll solidify you in their minds. and have a good time.
and stay positive
This has to be the best piece of advice I've had the chance to read in any forum of any dimension.

We live in a world where electronic dancing music (music in general ?) is not about the music or the gear anymore... Sad, I know. If you're a great producer but stand still thorought your whole set, some people will like it, but right after the main act, you'll be forgotten. If you do what he says, and if the music is good, people will look your name up on the web the morning after.