Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:22 am

Volkan Topal wrote:hmm i suppose :D

Great. I suppose you could do a loopback test by sending out MIDI from one track in Live and receiving it on another. Just connect the MIDI out to the MIDI in and set up some tracks and clips. My apologies I didn't suggest this before.

If this doesn't result in recorded MIDI in the clip you've chosen, see if you can use MIDI-Ox or some other MIDI app to send back MIDI it receives on the MIDI out bus directly to the MIDI in bus. If this works and the previous doesn't it's likely there is something with the MIDI out port or the cable. The cable could be ruled out by using the same that allowed you to record MIDI in signals.

If you can do both these then likely your MIDI out is likely to be damaged. Is there some kind of support for the Juli@?
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

Did you mean like this? i set the midi track 1 to receive from korg and the midi track 2 to receive from midi track 1, and recorded midi through that, to midi track 2

Didnt quite understand the second part. pretty confusing to me :D. But midi-ox does not work while my ableton live is open, i cant choose midi input, it gives me an undefined external error. it only opens up output. Likewise, if midi-ox is open and i try use the korg with live 9, it dosnt recognize my juli@ input, only output. But i hope i understood the first part of ur post correctly as it seems its working as it should?

the two seperate midi cables that i plug from korg should atleast be working fine because i crosschecked both cables.. i mean i tried both cables from 'in' to 'out' and also 'out to in'.. but always same results. and the cables worked when i tried it with my friends audio interface so those cables atleast shouldnt be broken. But im thinking if something is broken, could it be the breakout cables 'out' part thats broken..

Yea i guess ill reach for the ESI support pages too if they can help also

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:01 am

Volkan Topal wrote:Did you mean like this?
No, forget the Korg for now.

Do this
  • Connect one single cable from the Juli@ MIDI out to the Juli@ MIDI in. That's the loopback.
  • In Live make a MIDI track with an External Instrument and set the "MIDI To" in this to your MIDI interface's out port.
  • Double click in the Clip slot area of this track to make a 1 bar clip and fill this with some notes.
  • Make another MIDI track and set its "MIDI From" to the in port of your MIDI interface.
  • Arm this track
  • In Preferences make sure that "Track" is set to "on" in both the In and Out settings of your MIDI interface
Now play back the clip with MIDI notes and record the input to a new empty clip. If there is MIDI arriving to the MIDI out port it should be recorded in a new clip on your second track as it would go back to the MIDI in and get into Live.

For the second test, see if you can find some other application for Windows that can reroute MIDI. Alternatively act as if the breakout cable is damaged.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for clarifying. I cant seem to get a 1 bar midi clip by doubleclicking but thats irrelevant. I believe i did it correctly now..?

no midi..!

As for the second test ill try my best.. but for now, does that help you in finding the culprit?
cheers

EDIT: I did download a soft called coolsoft midimapper as windows has no midi mapping anymore i heard.. I set the output as Juli@ but it didnt help! cheers

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:Thanks for clarifying. I cant seem to get a 1 bar midi clip by doubleclicking but thats irrelevant. I believe i did it correctly now..?

As for the second test ill try my best.. but for now, does that help you in finding the culprit?
Barring the possibility that Live doesn't send out MIDI if there is no audio in set in External Instrument this is a pretty clear indication something is not right with your MIDI output. Remind if I'm wrong, but at no point were you able to send out MIDI, correct? MIDI in works, but not MIDI out, right?

You should repeat the test with an audio in set in External Instrument as I'm not certain that MIDI is sent with this not set. If this gives the same result chances are high that your MIDI outputs needs repair.
Personally, I'd prefer to reseat this interface in another machine and retest with some procedure you know should work to make sure it is the audio interface and not your computer after all.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Hey, Guess what................... I had my friend over to test a new breakout cable i bought (was wrong model, cudnt use it), but when he was looking at the breakout cables pins, he noticed that one of them was crooked!!! He got it back up and we tested the things again, and this time everything worked!!! Jeez, all this hassle and it was just a broken pin D: man im happy now that everything works, midi is sent in and out, only thing i dont know how to do is to record automation too so i can edit it in ableton but im sure ill find it out.

Thanks alot for the time you put into helping me figure this thing out!