holy cow quantise kills

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Q&A

Post by Q&A » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 pm

icedsushi wrote:Can you change Live's metronome to every other beat?
i think you need to adjust the time signautre to make that work.

This would be so, if the metronome is always on the 1/4 beat.... Does 1/4 note include odd time signatuures. (3/4) or am I off track here?

atomic

Post by atomic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:24 pm

djadonis206 wrote:We're obviously not talking about techno (I don't think) I love swing and whatnot but to not quantize a dance track is like setting yourself to not get any play at a club

Unless, like stated before you are absolutley talented in the art of playing in time, all the time every time

There's some good abstract techno out there but anyone who's mixed a well pressed super tight techno track with another feels my joy :)

A
Exacty. If my stuff was not super tight i would be in big trouble. This is not to say that the odd bit here and there cant float free
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

dizzyj

Post by dizzyj » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:40 pm

icedsushi wrote:Can you change Live's metronome to every other beat?
dont think so, but you can put down an impulse track and use that instead.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:27 pm

see people keep saying "my stuff has to be tight or people won't dance" which is agreed on the kick and snare but high hats almost always have a bit of swing on them. swing makes things dancable. at least a very small amount is almost necessary.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 pm

and the bit about the metronome... just make your own.. drop a midi track and give it a high hat to your liking to follow.... or you could sample a metronome sound :)
then you can make it do whatever you want without relying one the one abes give you
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Q&A

Post by Q&A » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:14 pm

I copy a stick sample into Live's metronome folder to replace that plastic click that comes as default.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:05 am

I'm suprised nobody ever came up with a metronome program that actually counted in a silly voice "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & don't you miss the beat a-gain & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & learn to keep rhy-thm my friend & 1 & 2....."

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:12 am

hambone1 wrote:Set your clips/scenes to global quantise, then use the keyboard shortcuts to toggle quantise on and off as the situation dictates.

It's like having your cake and eating it, too! :)
great idea

milfbait

Post by milfbait » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:37 am

People have danced for thousands of years with no quantize. To think that something has to be quantized to work on the dance floor is absolutely ludacris.

Q&A

Post by Q&A » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:56 am

milfbait wrote:People have danced for thousands of years with no quantize. To think that something has to be quantized to work on the dance floor is absolutely ludacris.
however, computers havent made people dance for thousands of years.

The issue, in my opinion, is making humanistic rythmns flow gracefully against the tight grid like backround of a program like Live. Angstrom mentioned this too.

I am really embracing the idea of snapping organic grooves to a more rigid feel, especially for remixes and sampling. I appreciate Live for what it is nomatter what.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:03 am

people have danced for thousands of years , to tightly played music....quantize did not mean the same thing then.

i dont think quantizing will take the humanistic side out of your music.

especially if you only use quantize for the bigger picture , not for every note or every bar......what i mean is , write a human-esque 16 bar drum piece or bigger , and have that quantized so it will start on time. this is what happens in real life too...no matter how realistic it is , at least one aspect is in sync with the rest of the music , even if its abstracting against other elements its locked to something else.......from that starting point you can meander and trail all you want.

one of the things i most appreciate about live 5 is the ability to zoom further than 16ths (or was it 32nds in live 4?) ......so i write my drums at a higher resolution , putting accents here and there....not having every note repeat at the exact same spot.......i make a 16 bar piece out of that , set the quantize to one bar , and launch it at the right time....but it sounds human , very human......

just use it tastefully ....thats what i try to do anyways

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:11 am

one problem with quantizing is that everything is put on the beat. this is not groove.

what you can do, and what all groove-players are doing, is for example take the snare-drum, select all the snare-hits, and move it before or after the beat. you can do the same thing with hihats for example. and yes, THIS creates a groove.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:24 am

henry ford wrote:people have danced for thousands of years , to tightly played music....quantize did not mean the same thing then.
if it's played by humans then it's not tight. period. Normally quantization means 100% straight. Not 90 or 95, or 99.9. Besides, have you *heard* tribal music? Tightness is not at all a priority, the FEEL is what's important...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Machinate

Re: ..

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 am

raapie wrote:one problem with quantizing is that everything is put on the beat. this is not groove.
yes it is, it's just a *straight* groove. Some of the funkiest music out there is straight. And personally I think the use of syncopation gives a lot more than altering the groove.

I'm not totally disagreeing here, I'm just saying that there's more to it.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Chris J

Re: ..

Post by Chris J » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:40 am

Machinate wrote: Some of the funkiest music out there is straight.
Huh ? certainly not. You'll have to define funky first.
Maybe it's like RNB that used to mean rhythm & blues, and now means commercial, prefab crap.

So Funk that used to mean soulful & tight live bands, would now means 16th quantized computer generated beats.

To me it's like you're saying most blue things out there are red.
I read in this forum that Photek was funky. 8O

Yes, and the JB's were sloppy :roll:
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8