OT: Electribe MX taking over my LIFE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:17 pm

But pattern programming/editing on the fly is not a problem, I guess?

BTW, you could use Live on your laptop to grap loops on the fly and layer them at will.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:04 am

Komplex wrote:
Michael-SW wrote:(Talking about the EMX)

No, from reading the manual I'm pretty sure you can write patterns on the fly, Reason ReDrum style.

But please let me know.

I've been reading up a bit. Sound on sound has a review online that was very positive. korg.com has quite a lot of sound demos and the manual. sonicstate.com has two demo videos.

What I see as a drawback is that you can't layer individual loops (ie. one instrument with it's pattern, called a part in Korg language) at will. Instead, you always group/save everything as a "pattern", which is up to seven drum parts and up to five synt parts. You can't just add another (premade) part on the fly on top of that. You can edit/create a part on the fly if you want (and have a free part of course), mute and solo parts, but you cant just grab a part from another pattern and layer it on top while playing.

I think this is due to the effect routing/settings which is pattern specific. Still, it would have been nice to have a part library from which you could copy while playing. Ie. Live style looping :)

Can anyone confirm?
You have to use two of them, which as always, gives you more flexibility anyway :)
and if you need two of something, just get the sampler version. I used to have that one too but I sold it. DOH. Damn. That was stupid of me.

rob.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:09 am

Yes, you can definitely do ReDrum style pattern editing while the pattern is playing. At least if you can belive the manual.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:16 am

Michael-SW wrote:Yes, you can definitely do ReDrum style pattern editing while the pattern is playing. At least if you can belive the manual.
I think the point was, that you can **edit** a loop while it's playing, but not save it and integrate it into your song while playing.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:21 am

But you can do that. Either by actually playing the drum or synth part or (for drums) by toggling the step keys.

What you can't do is copying in an entire part into your currently playing pattern. But creating them on the fly should work.

According to the manual.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:41 am

Michael-SW wrote:But you can do that. Either by actually playing the drum or synth part or (for drums) by toggling the step keys.

What you can't do is copying in an entire part into your currently playing pattern. But creating them on the fly should work.

According to the manual.
perhaps main reason I ordered it, till now it was just RS 7000 able to do it- programming live. I hate Redrum, never use it because the only sense of step seq is doing it live and fast, mouse clicking is too lame.
I considered getting again the bulky, sounduseless RS only for that function. What MX is missing is the velocity levels, not of the pads- the note velocity. But I can live with it, faking hopefully through motion seq and anyway it will be layered with Live clips. Since my intention is to use it as main beat enhencer live it does not matter too much anyway.
What I find interesting is the option to slave through audio which makes it great as safe standby in case of some computer malfunction. If it really works then it is ideal solution. I am not keen to use any midi sync

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:58 am

Why don't you like MIDI sync? I've only used it between two laptops running Live, but once you get it set up correctly it works pretty well.

Should probably work even better if you use the EMX or another piece of hardware as the master.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:17 pm

Michael-SW wrote:Why don't you like MIDI sync? I've only used it between two laptops running Live, but once you get it set up correctly it works pretty well.

Should probably work even better if you use the EMX or another piece of hardware as the master.
Security, when something crashes. So having them independent is safer.
I was thinking of using MX as master but after reading about the audio sync I am curious to try

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:34 am

if you sync it using Live, just set the MIDI Sync to automatic. If it detects a MIDI clock signal it will adjust its tempo to the incoming clock... and if the computer crashes it will continue to play and work with its own clock for tempo.

rob.

twistedfusion

Post by twistedfusion » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:58 am

:o woo, yeah this thing is awesome, and i have to say im very satisfied with my purchase of the EMX1 , got a great deal and a 2 yr warranty, cant beat that!

I see that you discussing how to sync to this with live,, I have question , how are you guys trasnmitting data to live from the emx.. I dont have a desktop mixer yet ,soo just trying to transferr my midi files from emx1 to live,, i have it hooked up jsut like how the manuals shows .. I got 1 midi cable and its hook from my emx1 " midi out" to my soundcard's ( M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ) Midi " in" ,, .. fired up live and the emx doesnt shw up anywhere in my midi channel ... Do i need more midi cables, or is this how its supposed to be routed ?
AMD Athalon (tm) XP 2600+ 1.91ghz | 512 of ram

Live 5, Reason 3.0, various vsts

Access Virus b, Waldorf Pulse + , Korg EMX, Evolution MK-449C

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:19 pm

You should see your audio card's midi port somewhere. Use that. You won't see the EMX specifically, your audio card has no idea that it is an EMX that is hooked up to it.

Select it as a sync source (if you want to sync) or as an input to a MIDI track (if you want to trigger a software instrument or record the midi output from the EMX).

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:45 pm

This thread is definitely interesting, it's ages since i last read a post about integrating live with hardware. Could you please detail more how do you integrate the electribes with your live workflow? What do you do with them? Why?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 am

Just received my electribe emx1 yesterday and I will add to the list that this little guy and Ableton live are going to become friends REAL quick...

At 499.00 the price was right so I jumped. Out of the box it really does seem like a great little improv tool!

Just thought I'd share my Gearlust come true story...

siddhu

ESX-1 Electribe SX vs EMX-1 Electribe MX

Post by siddhu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:33 am

This discussion is totally inspiring me to go out and buy one. I've had my eye on one of these babies for a while now.

But can someone explain what is the difference between the ESX-1 Electribe SX and the EMX-1 Electribe MX?

It does not seem to clear on the Korg website...

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:41 am

Hey Siddhu,

The difference is that the MX1 is a drum/synth music production unit whereas the SX1 is Korg's desktop sampler version.

I can imagine that one of each would be real nice, but I will be using Live for all my samples and heavy editing. The MX1 will be there for times I just want to discover "happy accidents" and really just "let go" and see what kind of odd patterns I can come up with.

Sure I could be having as much or maybe even more fun with an Elektron Machine Drum but I can't justify spending 1300.00 on it. The Korg MX1 really is killer and well, affordable. :D