new NIN april 17

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:49 am

Digi V wrote: but this new stuff just sounds awful, god awful. my violent heart has a drum pattern that honestly could have been pulled off a preset somewhere. the synths dont even sound authentic anymore, he used to CREATE sounds that no one had, now he's using things that could can pull off a soundbank.
interesting, cuz that's my main criticism of mythmaker.

for example haze uses the richard devine battery presets (in synthetic drums 2).

and the obvious ableton transposition in track 7 is kinda lame too.

so you're basically projecting the bad things of mythmaker onto a single NIN track, which i find amusing.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:52 am

also, each time i listen to mythmaker, i hear more that mark walk did and less that puppy did.

mark walk needs to step away from the puppy and go work with FLA or something.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:14 am

ploy wrote:
mechcon wrote:
ploy wrote: and most of that are boring as hell. the "true" concept of industrial, wow, your mommy would be proud. nine inch nails made no secret of the idea combining psychedelic, wave, industrial, avantgarde and catchy pop in an unique way and they did really great on "the downward spiral", which just fucks up mostly all your stupid influences. kmfdm for example is just a bad joke for ugly kids, even the highly acclaimed throbbing gristle are more overrated than interesting. skinny puppy have a few good tracks, but their last releases are shitty. spk?? get pampered.

mmhmmm and i suppose Throbbing Gristle's older work and Einsturzende Neubauten is nothing either?

first: its a personal view. and as told throbbing gristle are nice, but to me not nearly as exciting as their cult-like state. like and listen to some of their earlier work from time to time, sure. neubauten changed in their career not in bad ways, which maybe shows there has been some deeper potential. from all those nurse with wound, cabaret voltaire and (on their better outs) coil do best for me.
finally, something we can both agree on :)

you like Test Department?
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:55 am

tricil wrote:
Digi V wrote: but this new stuff just sounds awful, god awful. my violent heart has a drum pattern that honestly could have been pulled off a preset somewhere. the synths dont even sound authentic anymore, he used to CREATE sounds that no one had, now he's using things that could can pull off a soundbank.
interesting, cuz that's my main criticism of mythmaker.

for example haze uses the richard devine battery presets (in synthetic drums 2).

and the obvious ableton transposition in track 7 is kinda lame too.

so you're basically projecting the bad things of mythmaker onto a single NIN track, which i find amusing.
mythmaker has depths like the fucking atlantic ocrean, this nin track has a lame drum pattern and obnoxious screeching synth stab, thats it. nothing out there sounds like mythmaker, if you like it or not is your opinion but show me some group that is doing what they are doing (regardless of the glitchy influences this time around) show me, cuz i'll be all over it. this nin track could very well be stabbing fucking westward

also, you dont even knkow what the fuck mark walk brings to the table, you really dont know because every time someone assumes some bullshit Cevin always comes out (over at litany) and lets people know the truth (which is amazingly entertaining and educational)

a lot of things people used to assume dwayne did was actually Cevin and vice versa as well.

trent needs to stop worrying about chart position and pleasing his damn critics. he was much better when he truly didn't give a damn (prob because he was too screwed up to pay attention) or maybe he needs charlie clouser to come back and give him a hand

ploy

Post by ploy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22 am

maybe his problem is the approach of appearing as the "hard" but "welcome" "rocker" even more when he really cares more about a fitting (in "a polished guitar rock with some solid electronic elements" world after mtv) than a contra-poiting image. therefore he became a weak sucker producing stuff for those who he himself calls his enemies: the conservatives, reactionary. it´s like he is talking more to the mirror than ever, facing his fit and wealthy body and searching for the rest of his soul in a tired, popworld-hyptonotized flat way. and it is about the drugs, guess he´s not into psychedelic madness anymore, just the safe selffuckers coke and amph way. or he is really sober for 100 per cent, what would speak itself (no dirt allowed anymore).

if there is a hell, here we ware now. the point is not his (meanwhile doubtable) success, thats bullshit. its just about that he bores.

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:34 pm

anyway NIN did more than 1 really good album, and that's more than 99,99% of the bands in the world can dream off...so do not blame on the guy...blame on Britney Spear :wink:

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Digi V wrote:i'm tired of people trying to mask mediocre and effortless music with "changing their sound" or accepting someones or a bands new direction.

i dont usually compare an artists previous work to his new work (i hate when people compare new SP to old) but if i did do that with NIN i'd prob think trent should cease makign music all together. At this poitn he isn't better than whats out there, truthfully.

i dont mind pop, i dont mind trent's attempt on With Teeth all that much (even though i find it to be his weakest album) this is what i go to nin for anyways, i go for his good production skills, singing, angst ridden lyrics with a pop twist etc

but this new stuff just sounds awful, god awful. my violent heart has a drum pattern that honestly could have been pulled off a preset somewhere. the synths dont even sound authentic anymore, he used to CREATE sounds that no one had, now he's using things that could can pull off a soundbank.

the songs are bad for mainstream and underground

whatever realm.
Scott Walker's "The Drift" is a lot more interesting than any NIN stuff.

Anyone heard that? Much more apocalyptic than NIN

Stuff Johnny Cash would never do in a million years.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:51 pm

tricil wrote:also, each time i listen to mythmaker, i hear more that mark walk did and less that puppy did.

My thoughts too. Earlier someone said it has loads of Key's influence on it, and I just don't hear it that much. Nothing on there reminds me of the formlessness of Music For Cats, Download, etc. Something like Tear Garden makes his influence plain, but on the new Puppy, it's just more structured than older SP. I thought Frozen Sky was more Puppy like than any of their new stuff ironically.

I think that's what I don't like about the newer SP, it's way more structured and song like, where as the SP stuff I liked the best was always going off in crazy directions. It's that heroin, I'm telling you.

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 pm

I am i the only person that afterwaiting 5 years for the last album and then hearing "with teeth" thought it was a bit of a kick in the nuts..

I just wonder what the hell was going through his mind. I mean, if you listen to "Broken" it kicks ass, "the downward spiral" was outstanding and "the perfect drug" pretty much took every other song out there and pissed on them for fun, screaming this is what music could and should sound like!!!...

if put along side the perfect drug then with with teeth just doesn't match up. it sounded like it had been bashed out in six months..i would rather wait 7 years for a good album than be stuck with something like "with teeth"

what i will say about with teeth and in it's defence..they do work well live..but it sounds flat and well... rushed on CD.

but what i have heard of the new album doesn't fill me with hope so far..and when my freinds told me it was a concept ablum about the war in Iraq my head went in to my hands.. that's not a good sign..it's like when you hear people saying..this will be the heavyist album yet.. you know it's gonna suck!!...but i hope i am wrong!

Oh!!! Trent! please go and listen to the perfect drug again...PLEASE!!!
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:14 pm

Tarekith wrote:
tricil wrote:also, each time i listen to mythmaker, i hear more that mark walk did and less that puppy did.

My thoughts too. Earlier someone said it has loads of Key's influence on it, and I just don't hear it that much. Nothing on there reminds me of the formlessness of Music For Cats, Download, etc. Something like Tear Garden makes his influence plain, but on the new Puppy, it's just more structured than older SP. I thought Frozen Sky was more Puppy like than any of their new stuff ironically.

I think that's what I don't like about the newer SP, it's way more structured and song like, where as the SP stuff I liked the best was always going off in crazy directions. It's that heroin, I'm telling you.
i see what you're saying about the structured stuff, but that could either be one of two things i think- 1. the equipment + what the music is being written on (mostly logic, i'm sure a little ableton live) or 2. i've heard in interviews that they wanted to actually DO more structured songs this time and the equipment allowed that flow

people seem to forget the pre last rights days. a lot of their older stuff in the 80's weren't all that chaotic (in terms of structure) . i dont see how people can forget these things, they only put out 1 album like last rights

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm

I guess I'm just biased cause Too Dark Park and Last Rights are my fav albums from them, with Rabies a close third. I was also thinking how the early stuff was more structured too, so fair play.

Oh well, I guess we all just get attached to certain periods in an artist's career for whatever reason, and it can be hard to accept when they do something really different from that.

On another note, has anyone heard about any new Download CDs coming out? The Subconcious site has been the same forever...

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Tarekith wrote: On another note, has anyone heard about any new Download CDs coming out? The Subconcious site has been the same forever...
umm check again you should see the new vault II being available to preorder a long with other individual disks you could get without the bundle.

its called Fixer and they are done recording, i believe its being mixed now.

motormouth

Post by motormouth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:50 pm

the second track, "my violent heart" was really cool, the first one was like a generic "WITH TEETH" rehash.....

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:20 am

Yeah, people are basing there review of the entire album off of 1 leaked track :?

Go take a listen to "Me, I'm not" which leaked off this album. Then tell me it's stale generic pre-set drum lines etc...

Regardless if you like the song, I haven't heard anything like it really. Keep flaming away :?
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:02 am

thank FUCKING god this song is pretty good.

i'm happy today, 1 out of 3

:D