Ableton, Serato & Cycling!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

gotta be scratching clips, for real, finally. now all we need is a lightweight USB powered scratching device... ..."and this paddleball... and this lamp... and..."
its a 1210 and timecoded vinyl...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:18 pm

yeah, I have a TTX1, a 1200 and Ms Pinky. I would LOVE to have something that I can toss into the laptop bag. TBH I never got a good vinyl collection going, I mostly have battle records, which can easily be replaced by mp3s and I can gain a few square feet of space on my desktop. I don't scratch much these days but I can't put the TTX and mixer away, too much fun.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, I have a TTX1, a 1200 and Ms Pinky. I would LOVE to have something that I can toss into the laptop bag. TBH I never got a good vinyl collection going, I mostly have battle records, which can easily be replaced by mp3s and I can gain a few square feet of space on my desktop. I don't scratch much these days but I can't put the TTX and mixer away, too much fun.
Don't have to scratch... i guess youll be able to mix unwarped tracks.
expensive way of doing it i suppose.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't know why people are getting excited about this as no one knows what it will mean for Live and the chances are we won't see anything for a couple of years.

The biggest question is why Ableton thought it would be a good idea to announce another partnership when nothing has come of the Cycling 74 partnership in 18 months (or whatever it is). It just makes them look stupid and lessens the impact of the announcement.

At the moment they're just promoting vaporware to help sales of Live.
Last edited by jonny72 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

jonny72 wrote:VAPORWARE
good point, it really is.

it has to mean timecode control over Live, hopefully/probably scratching individual clips. it really is amazing to scratch within Live I do it with Ms Pinky. crop a loop and a .wav appears in the 'crop' folder of your project, drop that into Ms Pinky and you're scratching something you just made in Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, I have a TTX1, a 1200 and Ms Pinky. I would LOVE to have something that I can toss into the laptop bag. TBH I never got a good vinyl collection going, I mostly have battle records, which can easily be replaced by mp3s and I can gain a few square feet of space on my desktop. I don't scratch much these days but I can't put the TTX and mixer away, too much fun.
Um

http://www.enterthesystem.com/system/scs3d/

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:49 pm

I wrote that thing off but might heen to rethink that. I could sell my at least my 1200 to pay for it.

uh-oh GAS attack!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 pm

jonny72 wrote:At the moment they're just promoting vaporware to help sales of Live.
interesting, how does announcing something in the future help the sales of the current version?
wouldn't the opposite be true, waiting for the things to come instead of spending money now?

dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 pm

You gotta figure that Ableton must be putting the finishing touches on Live 8. Serato recently rolled out Itch. Maybe they're both at a point in their production cycles that they can start to work on this immediately.

To all of you who are poo-pooing the news, you have to admit that the DJ user base has been denied some serious love for the longest.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 pm

I bought max because of the C74 announcement.

c'mon dom, we know you know, what's up???

anyone know any hard hitting pipe carrying motherfuckers in the NYC area that wanna make some scratch?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 pm

dom wrote:
jonny72 wrote:At the moment they're just promoting vaporware to help sales of Live.
interesting, how does announcing something in the future help the sales of the current version?
wouldn't the opposite be true, waiting for the things to come instead of spending money now?

dom
Well, it can stop people from switching to another DAW and could encourage new users (tempted by the suggestion of what the Cycling and Serato deals could bring).

Besides, you wouldn't have bothered announcing the deals if you didn't think the PR and other stuff would be beneficial to Ableton and sales of Live. Otherwise, you'd have waited until a product or new feature was ready or due to launch soon before announcing it. So you've kind of already answered your own question.

The lack of any information or new product as a result of the Cycling partnership has left a lot of people feeling pissed and as a result I'm sure I'm not the only person who isn't going to get too worked up over another partnership announcement that is lacking in detail and release dates.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I think that it would be nice to have what I'm calling a "Serato Clip".

We already have audio clips and midi clips. A serato clip will be anything we want with Serato time coding.

I also like the idea of being able to control the master tempo with a turntable.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:45 pm

jonny72 wrote:
dom wrote:

dom
Well, it can stop people from switching to another DAW and could encourage new users (tempted by the suggestion of what the Cycling and Serato deals could bring).
i get this point. but if ableton would base its business on such stunts it wouldn't have survived till now. maybe it helps a bit that those two deals are not dealing with stuff being present in other daws yet.
jonny72 wrote: Besides, you wouldn't have bothered announcing the deals if you didn't think the PR and other stuff would be beneficial to Ableton and sales of Live. Otherwise, you'd have waited until a product or new feature was ready or due to launch soon before announcing it. So you've kind of already answered your own question.
it depends. i didn't announce it personally and can't comment the reasons, but in general this is exactly the ableton way of announcing stuff:
there are no feature announcements until they're basically ready - this prevents vaporware.
i know it is no fun being left in the dark for so long (or not being allowed to talk about it, on my side!), but history of vaporware shows that announcing products and not being able to deliver is even more harmful.
and i mean, come on, esp. those two collaborations are clearly heading into predictable directions just by looking at both companies. there will be no sample library in cooperation with serato or hoodies and bags just sporting cycling74 logos.
the question is more or less what it becomes in detail, if you take three ingredients and stir and cook them the ableton way.

dom
Last edited by dom on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:c'mon dom, we know you know, what's up???
tone, old boy, you know it's easier to go clubbing with the pope than getting an answer to this question from me ;-)

i could only tell you that since midi was added in live4 i wasn't as excited about all the things to come...
but you don't want that.
Tone Deft wrote: anyone know any hard hitting pipe carrying motherfuckers in the NYC area that wanna make some scratch?
get a bunch of those, i'm a tall bastard ;)

dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 pm

no announcement on cycling74 project.
ableton and serato announce new project.
does,
ableton + cycling74 + serato = ms pinkey v.8.9.10? (solution to syncing)
syncing hardware & software with no external midi clock needed?...
and be able to scratch live? no pun inteneded. lol

hmmm...
(scratching head, while hoping for the best)
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer