Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Dj-Grobe is uttermost KING of dem all!
If it works > it works
if its free > even better!
why complain? > because other Guys are jealous that Dj Grobe is smarter than thems...

if you ask me, go on, very good project,

Go for modularity, charge a reasonable price and i buy a touchscreen,

smartass

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon May 21, 2007 3:42 pm

smartass303 wrote:Go for modularity, charge a reasonable price and i buy a touchscreen,

smartass
+1!

axou

Post by axou » Mon May 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:You never listen about windows embedded?
How you think lemur work? you think they build complete OS from 0?
(they just recompiled linux with things he need)
As a matter of fact, the word on the street is that they DID build the complete OS for the chip inside the Lemur. I'm curious where you got your info from.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue May 22, 2007 12:37 am

Mr axou, if you are lemur user just take a fatser look inside lemur.bin ....
Just look for no broken any law :roll:

I really think its possible lemur project born here time ago:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/midicontrol/

Anyway can be a coincidence, yo know its absolutly normal..... to many people around the world think on same way, work on similar things, build similar things, at same time.....with more of 6.000 of humans across the world its absolutly normal many peoples think and make and buil similar things at same time.

I repeat again, for people want now inmediatly modular system this already exist, again: http://sourceforge.net/projects/midicontrol/

I already start work on linux midi control, but like i comment before i need days with 48hs not with 24 jaja, time its a killer !!!

Backing to OS.......
Very high number of devices today uses windows embeded, os warp (yes the older but rookie os warp) and linux.
The major number of kiosk for ATM boxes around the world use windows embedded, and some older ATM use os warp.
All routers around the world use linux, special distros ofcourse builded for only one propose.
Same for high number of new dvd players, same for the DIRECT TV receptors : ) etc etc etc same for high number of cell phones (motorola use linux on high number of devices)
In the celullar world SIMBIAN rule, but linux have more space soon due the cost reduction. (no licences)
The list of devixes using linux OS, windows embedded or windows CE its abslutly really high today, you use in some moment of your life diferent machiens with one of this OS.
Windows embedded its expensive, but the number of devices supported make build device with embedded xp, absolutly easy, and realiable, windows embedded over linux, its better due high number of supported devices, you no need deal and fight with drivers.

The cost of create OS form 0, make the product have super expensive cost,......why do that when you have exelent ready OSs absolutly modular for build you own branded system : )

Best regards.

axou

Post by axou » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 am

Check out this video review on SonicState
"There is no Linux inside, everything is JazzMutant"

Also historically, the Lemur didn't even support MIDI, it was OSC only. MIDI support was added with v1.2, so I doubt the project was born with the MIDIControl thing.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue May 22, 2007 12:19 pm

about the the video?
Not understand...
Why you think the video show and confirm no linux? just because nobody say officially OS engine runing in the background its linux special distro compiled specially for jazzmutant lemur form jazzmutant ?
My opinion its the system its linux, anyway its absolutly possible can be not linux....of course!!! .... but based on what i see its linux......i not have time to deep check, and really no have reason to do that..... i just sniff a little one some stuff from jazzmutant just for curiosity....i have a friend with one lemur unit : ) and i feel lot of curiosity, just that.
I sugest to my friend open the unit but of course he say to me NO! "you are INSANE man" jajjaaj : ) and he have reason jajajaj

Anyway if i stay wrong about what i see and think and they build OS from 0 just for lemur unit, i double clap my hands !!!
Make that its super colosal task !! specially today when you already have OS can do anythink you need.........but i continue thinking its not OS from 0
I confirm this some day when i buy one lemur and strippedout the unit jajaj

About the osc, yes that its good point, and that point can determine this projects no have any relation. I never think on that axou, good point.
Anyway if that project and lemur no have any relation, is a good and wonderfull example how some persons or group of persons can think on similar thinks at around same moment across the world : ) ... that is facinated for me : )

I start work on modular system based on that project, but i think very very close, some other guy make public something like this......
I searching the web but no see yet somebody doing exactly the same., but with 6000 humans across the world....wow !! its very possible so just stay tuned : ) :idea:

Best regards.
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Tue May 22, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axou

Post by axou » Tue May 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote: Why you think the video show and confirm no linux? just because nobody say officially OS engine runing in the background its linux special distro compiled specially for jazzmutant lemur form jazzmutant ?
The guy from the review says the JazzMutant guys contacted him to state the OS was not a Linux variant, and was designed from scratch from JazzMutant. I'm not sure why they would lie on that to the press.
I searching the web but no see yet somebody doing exactly the same., but with 6000 humans across the world....wow !! its very possible so just stay tuned : )
What is that world you're talking of that only has 6000 humans on it ? :wink:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Correctme axou, and sorry for my ignorance,

How much humans its supodes have the world right now? more of 6000 millions?
Lol i think around that.....just for curiosity correctme : )

(i think that is the number and you just kiding i see i omit on my post word million) jijji

ANd for curiosity.......if somebody have some lemur and want open the unit, and make public some pictures, lol do it i really love see what have inside in more detail :)
Of course that not show if have linux or 100% propietary OS but i love see lemur inside : )

style_riser

Post by style_riser » Wed May 23, 2007 12:58 pm

style_riser

Post by style_riser » Wed May 23, 2007 1:02 pm

smartass303 wrote:Dj-Grobe is uttermost KING of dem all!
If it works > it works
if its free > even better!
why complain? > because other Guys are jealous that Dj Grobe is smarter than thems...
anyone can drag n drop a few controls on to a form and call it mono-touch live!! But only DJGrobe can lie about it.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:16 pm

Well its time to leave this negative comments.

NEWS:
New version cooming in some moment from today to day friday : )
My Monotouch stand alone hardware unit, finished very very soon : )

wick

Post by wick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 pm

i fund these info on the lemur i dont know if is acurate but it can lead some where.........
a closer look at the Lemur. The findings so far:
- The whole design is based on an Altera Stratix FPGA.
- In addition it has some DRAM, flash memory and an ethernet NIC (obviously).
- This combination comes quite close to one of Altera's evaluation boards
- Altera has a processor core (NIOS) that can be downloaded to the Stratix together with their own OS-II micro kernel
- It seems that the Lemur is based on this NIOS/OS-II combination (at least the firmware image suggests this)
- The firmware image is split into two parts: a "LSD9" part that contains the FPGA configuration and an "LNS9" part that contains the actual Lemur operating system / software.
- I was able to disassemble parts of the firmware but since most of the symbols are removed it is pretty hard to get anything useful from that
- Although it would be possible to let users make extensions to the LNS9 part without affecting the actual "hardware" (LSD9) the build process would be quite difficult and include plenty of Altera tools.

Thus, for me it seems very unlikely that we will be able to write code for the Lemur soon (to get a feeling, have a look at Altera's Quartus and NIOS tools). Which brings me back to the initial proposal: free lemur! give us access to the frame buffer by VNC, OSC, whatever. We don't care. But let us have our custom screen designs!

It would also be nice to have some statement from Jazzmutant regarding this whole story.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm

I just discover they use linux, now we now its NIOS uCLinux ....

I feel jazzmutant not happy with anyone sniffing inside the firmwares..... :oops:

Anyway i think i buy one unit at teh end 2007......
If i buy one, and i make public more info about the hardware they sue etc etc, that is not legal?
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gerard

Post by gerard » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Just for info: I haven't read this thread.
I like the triggerfinger a lot. With it's 4 faders it's perfect for volume and crossfading and the knobs are cool for effects and equalizer. The pads for launching clips and cueing.
The only better gear I see for myself right now is the MPC24 as it's got 6 faders :D
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

wick

Post by wick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 pm

to make it clear..im not involve on the firmware dissasemble ok... is just information running around so im not the guy...like i said before,i dont know if is acurate so you guys can figure out if is true or not...