Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: Live 9 browser NIGHTMARE !!!

Post by ze2be » Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

Jesus. Im glad I went for a minimal sampling archive from the beginning. :-/
The reasons first was limited disk space, but it evolved to a minimalist library because I lost work focus when searching through large archives. Took out the best, deleted the rest.

Btw, just installed 9 today. Im liking the browser so far. All I need is my personal archive bookmarks; Projects, Samples, Racks. And the vsts, and live plugs bookmarks from 8. They were there too. Whenever I want to save a preset, rack or track, I store it in my own archive library. So far I dont have any trouble with it. It seems better then 8. I never trusted the akward Ableton preset saving system. Why didnt they do a vst system like everyone else? Because of that choice; no session automation recording before 9, no program change on plugs, akward load/save "swap" system, and so forth.

The indexing thing sounds terrible for big sample archives atm!

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

zeepster wrote:WE NEED AN OPTION TO DISABLE THIS INDEX SCANNING

forgive all caps
Jeeeeez 8O !!!

I go out from here for about a month, people are still in "index sucks" mode ??!!

Fine. Let's say I stop joking around with people having "install" or "browse" (worse : what's a plug-in lol) : you can't lie for pleasure.

I think about this whole crap and realize I did my lil' Cartman for dummies, by not telling simple things :

1/ I browse fu***ing fast since I know how to prepare, manage and perform a hazardous installation like Live/Suite 9's one.

*** Yeah right, Abe NINE isn't easy to install properly *** (EIGHT was just a single process to be threaded and managed by both hardware PC/Mac it'll be Intel stuff, and the OS which is the HOST to host our samples/VSTs/musical stuff)

2/ On Windows 8 Pro with M.Center - 64-bit : about 900MB of samples do that database growing to just 220MB.

3/ I made ONE bonus user folder for a specific group of samples. Since 9.0.1 and so far, no "grrrgrrrgrgrrrr" (I can't quote my HDD, it's cool & quiet, 5400rpm still sucks
but nothing like we read again and again)

>>> But wait a minute... Every "added" piece of sound is in this only fashion, despite being able to hear a little above 20k, despite my monitoring is done by HD-25 and HD-25 II >>>

Dudes, try to put all your files in WAV / 16-bit / 44100Hz OR in REX file format.

Maybe that's why I'm not happy or angry, just can't accept your creativity to be killed by indexing bugs...

I'd like to add that I always felt, before the indexer, some kind of latency when dragging/drop some stuff in a scene, between the "drop" moment and the .asd creation, everytime, a subtle sort of freeze sensation before Live begins to do an .asd

I'll stay tuned, but I can't do more for people who encounter these weirdos ...

Warm regards. (sorry again, my English sucks, should write in French, I know lol)
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

ze2be wrote:Jesus. Im glad I went for a minimal sampling archive from the beginning. :-/
The reasons first was limited disk space, but it evolved to a minimalist library because I lost work focus when searching through large archives. Took out the best, deleted the rest.

Btw, just installed 9 today. Im liking the browser so far. All I need is my personal archive bookmarks; Projects, Samples, Racks. And the vsts, and live plugs bookmarks from 8. They were there too. Whenever I want to save a preset, rack or track, I store it in my own archive library. So far I dont have any trouble with it. It seems better then 8. I never trusted the akward Ableton preset saving system. Why didnt they do a vst system like everyone else? Because of that choice; no session automation recording before 9, no program change on plugs, akward load/save "swap" system, and so forth.

The indexing thing sounds terrible for big sample archives atm!
Thx. Not fluent enough to tell facts so accurately. :wink:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

ze2be wrote: I never trusted the akward Ableton preset saving system. Why didnt they do a vst system like everyone else? Because of that choice; no session automation recording before 9, no program change on plugs, akward load/save "swap" system, and so forth.

THat's an interesting remark... care to say more? I am not that familiar with other DAWs (other than Reason :P ) so I don't know what you mean by a vst system and why that has implications for session automation etc etc...

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Blendton wrote:
1/ I browse fu***ing fast since I know how to prepare, manage and perform a hazardous installation like Live/Suite 9's one.

*** Yeah right, Abe NINE isn't easy to install properly *** (EIGHT was just a single process to be threaded and managed by both hardware PC/Mac it'll be Intel stuff, and the OS which is the HOST to host our samples/VSTs/musical stuff)
This has nothing to do with people not knowing how to install the software.
2/ On Windows 8 Pro with M.Center - 64-bit : about 900MB of samples do that database growing to just 220MB.
With such a small number/size of external samples, it's not surprising you don't have problems. People having trouble are running 10s or 100s of GBs of samples.
Dudes, try to put all your files in WAV / 16-bit / 44100Hz OR in REX file format.
If this is serious advice, then you quite clearly do not understand the problem.
These weirdos are having serious problems with live 9. Ableton understand the problem and are working on solutions. This thread is about how best to make it work for everyone. You are not helping.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:26 pm

this thread is about piss and moaning more than helping anyone. it's a small minority making their problems everyone else's problem. most are bitching here and odds are they haven't even thought to file an actual complaint our hold their own system accountable.

regardless... abes has already confirmed indexing kill switch is a no go... no matter how much you all bitch.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Fri May 10, 2013 3:36 pm

andydes wrote:
Blendton wrote:

This has nothing to do with people not knowing how to install the software.
With such a small number/size of external samples, it's not surprising you don't have problems. People having trouble are running 10s or 100s of GBs of samples.
If this is serious advice, then you quite clearly do not understand the problem.
These weirdos are having serious problems with live 9. Ableton understand the problem and are working on solutions. This thread is about how best to make it work for everyone. You are not helping.
By "weirdos" I refered to those issues. Nobody's the right to judge, even a real court judge just applies what the "book" says to be right.

By these little details and because some people are in trouble as close a my tiny TB of sounds, I weird things with weird thoughts.

I can't say as true that Live 9 does not like aif or 24/32-48khz/96k flavoring. I'm a customer not a DAW programming expert. BTW on the OS side sorry. For installing some big index-handed software, you have do do it with care.

No matter. Help is not the holy graal, some try to express a kind of compassion surely won't disturb anyone ... but you it seems.

With regards. Edit : just saw I wrote MB not GB... I talk on a hundreds of GB basis sorry dude
Antoine, aka Blendton.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm

skatr2 wrote:this thread is about piss and moaning more than helping anyone. it's a small minority making their problems everyone else's problem. most are bitching here and odds are they haven't even thought to file an actual complaint our hold their own system accountable.

regardless... abes has already confirmed indexing kill switch is a no go... no matter how much you all bitch.
It's always piss and moaning when it's happening to someone else, isn't it?

I'm sure I've felt the same way sometimes.

Other times, topics like this have helped me with my own issues. So theyre infinitely more constructive than complaining about the complaining. As long as it's civil.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm

andydes wrote:
skatr2 wrote:this thread is about piss and moaning more than helping anyone. it's a small minority making their problems everyone else's problem. most are bitching here and odds are they haven't even thought to file an actual complaint our hold their own system accountable.

It's always piss and moaning when it's happening to someone else, isn't it?

I'm sure I've felt the same way sometimes.

Other times, topics like this have helped me with my own issues. So theyre infinitely more constructive than complaining about the complaining. As long as it's civil.

Complaining and demanding a feature after being told you aren't getting it isn't constructive either. Technically suggesting people re-evaluate the necessity of 2+TB of data, samples, and loops is constructive until you meet the idiot who things all software should be all things to meet every situation they have. Many people bitch about some push functions, but when workarounds involving mouseclicks or added channels are discovered to supplement, they say that isn't good enough. When historically live has been based on finding work arounds and supplements to current problems. Here's another thought...why not have folder shortcuts along your taskbar or any number of indexing programs to work around the shortfalls of lives indexing? even before 9, people were using smart folders outside of live for faster access to the files they wanted because 8 was slow and clunky in some aspects of folder function. Thats what this indexing tried to solve...even if it isn't quite ready for primetime.

androids

Post by androids » Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm

H20nly wrote:
3dot... wrote:
androids wrote:Installed 9.0.4 and deleted my 1.4 go database file ...

Full scanning took me exactly 12 hours and 18 minutes instead of 14 hours with 9.0.1.

DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S WHAT YOU CAN CALL "IMPROVEMENT" ON INDEXING ????

Live 9.0.4 indexing STILL sucks big time and is ridiculously slow compared to other similiar indexing tools which are able to index my whole "sample" folder in less than 30 minutes (for exemple "Where Is It").
12 hours for 1.4 GB ????
sounds like either your computer is very very old.... or you're scanning a USB1 device...
or something is terribly wrong with your system...
i'm kinda feeling this way too.

i've had no such issues.
my DATABASE file is 1.4Gig.
my SAMPLE folder is around 2.4To.

Ok I have to index just once, but I have 4 computers I'm using for Ableton purpose, so it means 4 x 12 hours of scanning.

And if I do collab projects with other friends, we still have to choose which folder to add, in order to use them without scanning the whole thing again, before being able to use live.

I'm the one who started this subject.
I think Ableton introduced a serious problem with indexing in v9, for a minority of people having a large (1TB+) sized sample lib just to increase the potential of PUSH.

Now if they are ignoring our problems, then fine, will stay at v8 or give a chance to future competitors.

Most of the drawbacks of the new browser are not fixed in 9.0.4.

My setup : Core i7 cpu notebook (Dell Precision M6500 High End mobile workstation), External 4To Seagate HDD on USB 3
All my files are 44/16 wav or Rex.
Last edited by androids on Sat May 11, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Fri May 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Yep,

As I'm as convinced the case is not "rarely occuring" enough, in fact I noticed it may be more an issue for :

- OSX Lion users, 32/64 bite my shiny ... ... <no_geek_mode=benders_unfinished_catchphrase> : lots of CPU, bi or quad, all Core i3 5 or 7 and once I've read indexing stuff on some "Pentium" CPU so lets
:arrow:
- Despite being not fond of "terabyte libraries" as I stated, there's only REX or WAV 16-bit 44,100Hz.

WARNING : no troll from a sound-engineer or Pro-Tools HD EXPERT, even if not "just" Icon Mixer or Post but "Music" certified post PT-HD 310 "Adv. Music Tech." exam completed, in fact I should just name "the guy I want to hear from him "Why, I mix 16-24-32 44.1/48/96/192Khz sounds I must play with dither-sounding "issues", because well : yeah I MUST admit MYSELF having been shut off by that freaky static mic', with its sleek line not just a cylinder like a basic subcardio static mic, in fact it looked like what english-speaking guys may call "thermometer, you know, that sucker mum's put in your ass when your mood was like ... "no school today"

I never bet, but instead of saying things like my posts or myself are not helping, I'd like to know what is included in that "big-size" (in fact, a USB 3.0 1TB external HDD which is breathing with about 10-15% freee space...)

SO I REPEAT + JUST IN CASE "FOR DUMMIES" tone, don't feel angry, it's French shitty writings, BTW ENG makes me feeling like a "god boy" lol :

I NEVER until now have read, catched whatever, a Win8-Pro x64 using a fully installed (I mean 55GB Ableton says : it's 57,...GB to install here) ABLETON SUITE 8 BOXED (then EIC2 and Session Drums in double, I should think to remove the 8's or 9's one someday32-bit + Max For Live 32-bit thx to the old 5.0.9 release + ABLETON FULL INSTALLED SUITE 9 + all "standard VSTs, most popular ones, Massive/Kontakt/Reaktor/ + Full FL Studio 11 with every VSTs available in 32 and 64-bit when possible, all Xfer Records stuff, in fact I'm thinking to add the whole : iTunes ..TB, some GB of AAC/M4A converted to WAV/16/44

Why wav-16 blahblah ? Crap, if you're more in the "post-prod" or "multi-multi-several-multi-pairs of triple channels kind of show ...

Sorry. To produce and perform, no one here could convince me that he knows, HD-25-II @140dB SPL to be sure,
is file is 32/192 and the other "CD-standard" 16/44.1

And YES its not as off-topic someone seemed to think, let's sort Win8 etc. and look at a big crappy directory full of (let's give these "formats" pets names" : dogs, birds, some dynosaurus blended pig, pizza...

Because of what that indexer DOES WELL, unfortunately for some, I won't bet on this, but people having issues can't be "worse", "less clever", than my fucking unbearable self-person ?!

Wow, in fact nurse practitioner might have always been my destiny lol :

so please, I try to think in order to catch some stuff which leads to "SOLVED", at least, "UNDERSTOOD"...

Me : 880 or 920GB of REX and "standard" WAV, in a lot of subfolders, divided in four main folders (only one on four has its own "section" in my browser : it's only 30GB of only WAV Std. Well, if Suite 9 or even this "sucking" indexer, well, I'm OK to try it, maybe he's good, I put him at work for the 1st 24h post1st 9.0.1 install >>> some lags because 5400rpm but NO freeze to call for a little lag in drag/dropping or .asd creation, in fact,

Dudes, let's catch the common stuff between every unhappy mates, whose indexer crashes : mine never has to work, and despite being the 9.0.1 x64, 24h no crash, see my config below and my recurring blahblah about "if you see some 24-32/96/192 bastard, del+enter it, no trash just erase or give it to cinema/post-prod-show-mixing/designer involved guys

Here, it's just music : as always a long piece of badly written sentences to say just a simple thing :

And if all your TB of crap was all the same type, and not gathered in folders with 250~300+++ files (>>> one of many reasons I consider installing Live/Suite 9 as not for those, briefly, who didn't approch computer science and OS/threads/coding and tell the CPU to compute that way so the child can be transparent thanks to monolythic kernels belong to the past...

Off-topic ? Really ? Yeah right in fact Abe are amateurs and in fact they are testing your buyiners' skills" lol or just all had a terrible head injury all together, why not, since now, it's the end (few I'm soooooo tired), 9.0.4 no beta still in the beta section @ board index, in fact, let's even say Push is responsible because no indexer no push >>> no way, Push without indexer was not hard to do, I 've see this false belief too much,

stop. Because as you read this, even your MacOS, Windows NT6/6.1/6.2 is surely indexing stuff, it does that all the time, when you read crap for 5min go hear the noise lol, WTF, debates on "indexer flaw" >>> WHY NOT ME ?!

Please don't feel weird negative things on my posts, it's like that, can't write better or less.

I'M PISSED OFF BEING ALONE TO ENJOY WHILE ALL MATES WRITE THREADS ABOUT ... compting, sort of basics of computing indeed...

:arrow: :idea:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Nunz

Post by Nunz » Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey guys,

After reading this thread, I really still haven;t figured out Live 9's browser. On my computer, I have a master folder named (Vengeance) with all my drum samples and other types of samples. However, I can't find these when using the new Live 9 Browser. Why can't I browse through and then cue (preview) my samples in the new software? How do I go about doing so?

Thanks guys! 8) 8)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

I was just reading a post about chopping up audio a la Skrillex & listening to the audio example of the Feedme track

And then I read Blendton's post.

The effect was uncannily similar.

Like Skrillex's music, one can eventually start enjoying it. It's kinda exhilirating.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm

The Finn wrote:I was just reading a post about chopping up audio a la Skrillex & listening to the audio example of the Feedme track

And then I read Blendton's post.

The effect was uncannily similar.

Like Skrillex's music, one can eventually start enjoying it. It's kinda exhilirating.

Thank you for appreciating, BTW ... Thank you - Part Two lol

Hey mates. Pretty much overloaded with life & stuff tou know, so I think this one was my latest and ...

Well, it's true : I could just read my sentences so I would be able to be unae to read my weitîgs lol ...

Mais avant tout et ceci en Fr pour être bien clair : ce que vous appelez "language barrier" we do 't give a fuck, we talk in a very complex gramma/synta/vocabula/<coca-colablablabla> way...

Sachez, tous, que jamais je ne relis un de mes post, ni ne corrige quoi que ce soit ( même si je constaste une erreur voire une grosse connerie).

Je préfère rester cet être humain derriere son nom de code Blendton : avec son ADJD sa Ritaline son job d'infirmier malgré tout, et que des personnes telles que vous comprennent que si je suis là c'est idéalement pour aider : si he ne peux le faire, j'essaie de diffuser de cette chaotique personnalité mais cependant attentionné et avec un humour très ... Bref.

Merci Funk N. Furter pour avoir écrit ce que je dois faire bien que mon bit ne sojt pas d'être relancé : les débats ne sont pas mon business ^^

Lerci à The Finn d'avoir réussi à franchir la "barrière" et partageant ainsi avec moi ce que je cite "kinda exilhirating for both of us :D

With warm regards.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Indexing is one of many issues with the browser, was hoping some progress would have been by now.