films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: films n shit

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

shadx312 wrote:Part 1 was to show Depression. It's supposed to be the happiest day of her life and she's apathetic.

Kiefer killing himself showed that he only cared about his pride.
That's just pretentious. :x

But again, different. And knockers.

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Why is that pretentious?
I actually enjoyed it for the most part when I watched it, but some of the drawn out stuff was like "ok I get it" and then the characters in general....fuck em. I expected more depth, but found it to be pretty shallow.

It's weird though, sometimes when I watch a movie I can get into, I then think about in retrospect and feel kind of suckered. You know, sort of like a Keynote.

Can't say I didn't do a couple rewinds if youknawhutImean. BTW, ever notice that most of the movies she's in she's jumping on a bed in her underwear? No complaints.

I'm kind of curious to what of you'd think of Hesher and The Future.
I don't absolutely disagree with many thinking that Miranda's work may is too "artsy hipster" but I like her abstractions.
ImageImage

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah I thought Melencholia was over the top too but it's made that way, it's kinda sneers at you by being that way. It's really self indulgent but I think about it a lot so I guess at this point I love it because it's rare I meet with a film that affects me like that. Part of it is down to trying to guess why the director made the choices he made but something about the dynamic between the two sisters at the end " you want to know what I think of your plan, I think it's a piece of shit"
Never watched any of his other films, I think

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Is drinking wine and playing some vinyl when it's lights out really a shit idea?

Something I thought was interesting was about the horses not wanting to cross the bridge to go into the village. It was nice to keep the seclusion instead of showing what kind of madness that would've been going on in town. Plus it's a lot easier on the budget!
I think the only thing I thought that was self-indulgent was the grand music with drawn out sequences in slow-motion. I think I'd rather just see a film like that on it's own if I still cared to take acid.
___
I just saw Videodrome for the 1st time yesterday. Shame on me for not knowing it already. Critereons Twitter is pretty cool.

--SPOLER ALERT---- They die in the fucking end ----SPOLER ALERT----
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Can you guys stop giving away plot points without a SPOILER ALERT at the top of your posts.

FFS

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I also had 2 other new to Netflix movies this weekend. I say new to Netflix because the fucking studios make Netflix hold off for a month or so from release so they can milk the consumers for direct rentals and purchasing. Fuck them. I can wait. :x

Adventures of Tin Tin – made it about 45 minutes in before I said fuck it and turned it off.

Young Adult – also said fuck it about half way in.

That’s the beauty of Netflix. I’m not paying for anything directly so I don’t have to feel obligated or screwed if I don’t like where the movie is going.

But the thing I’m not liking about Netflix at the moment is I have a 3D TV and even if I upgrade to the blu ray plan they still don’t offer 3D movies and buying 3D movies is about a minimum of $30 and I have yet to see a movie in 3D that is worth purchasing. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I absolutely despise von Trier. Boring claptrap masturbatory nonsense, masquerading as art house wannabe SHIT.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm

How's the 3D tv? Are there any particular shows or networks that stand out? Heh
ImageImage

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Nature documentaries are pretty stellar in 3D. PS3 games can be but you quickly ignore it because you’re too busy playing the game.

I know a lot of people think 3D is a laughable short lived gimmick but more and more 3D movies are being made and a lot of TVs are almost becoming standard with 3D, so whatevs. I’m just waiting for streaming 3D.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I absolutely despise von Trier. Boring claptrap masturbatory nonsense, masquerading as art house wannabe SHIT.

Disagree, he has good and bad films. Just like Francis Ford Coppola with Apocalypse Now, my favorite film by him is one of his least favorites, Zentropa (Europa in Europe). Breaking The Waves and Dancer In The Dark are also pretty good. I agree he's overrated though.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Boring claptrap masturbatory nonsense, masquerading as art house wannabe SHIT.
For a recent change I didn't want to sound so doomy but, yeah. I'll check out Zentropa and Breaking the Waves, though. Dancer didn't do anything for me.

Ah, after IMDB'ing Tin Tin and seeing the people involved I can see why you'd check it out...I'd be more interested if it wasn't animated...nothing against animation but for this one...
so now that Serkis is brought into this, I'm looking forward to the next Apes flick, not just because he's a pimp.

Oh, here's one I didn't hear about until recently and had to check out immediately which I'll recommend.
It isn't the overall shit, but it's worth it imo. It's called Blueberry. I think it might've went straight to video in the states and called Renegade and was marketed as a traditional western which it is not.
It's got Vincent Cassel, Ernest Borgnine, Juliette Lewis, Michael Madsen, Djimon Hounsou, Eddie Izzard (as a German)....

Also, if you fancy seeing Keira Knightley acting goofy with a bad accent + a little spanking and tit, there's Dangerous Method if you don't mind psychology (heh) and all talk
(or, who gives a fuck, it's got ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
Was disappointed in not seeing Freud do lines, though:/ iirc.

AVOID UNCLE BOONMEE, see LSZ's quote above. Some people like to fool themselves.

and while I'm here 13 Assassins if you haven't seen that yet.

I don't want to sound like some idealized stereotypical American who doesn't have the intelligence or patience to appreciate good films with depth, and those recommendations are not a good reflection of what I enjoy, because I can find enjoyment in Grown Ups as much as I can Unbearable Lightness of Being, but it just seems to me that there are a lot more films coming out catering to the Cannes/Sundance crowd masquerading as good film when it's really just a bunch of stroking.
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 pm

shadx312 wrote: I'll check out Zentropa and Breaking the Waves, though. Dancer didn't do anything for me.
Breaking the Waves is similar enough to Dancer to where if you didn't like one, you won't like the other. Waves is just more straightforward and less arty, but it's a story about a lady who thinks that a revelation asking her to do unsavory things will save her family.

Zentropa is an art film with a freaky backdrop. If you hated Kafka, or don't like surrealism in your films then you won't like it.
It's also one of the few films to deal with the inevitable negative side to occupation, even if it's post WWII Germany that's being occupied.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Nothing about von Trier's films resonate with me one bit. I've seen nearly all his stuff actually, and every one is an exercise in tedium; while at the same time they are heralded as 'masterpieces'. meh. It's incredibly narcissistic rubbish that is utterly without humour on any level. There's also zero meaningful irony in any of his films that I've thus far seen. They play merely as travelogues that showcase really fucked up people that are - amazingly enough - incredibly boring people as well. How is that even possible? lol.

It's small wonder that von Trier is often compared to David Lynch. However, Lynch was far superior in every way; playing with very similar themes on the abstract. Lynch also knew something important that von Trier does not: really fucked up people and situations are actually quite humorous in their absurdity.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 am

Dunst knockers aren't boring and deserve an Oscar nod. :x