Compressor plug in recommendations

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Compressor plug in recommendations

Post by Tarekith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 pm

For what it's worth, I ended up going with Voxengo's Polysquasher, perfect for my needs.

d-track

Post by d-track » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:59 pm

izotope ozone 4.

whitegirllust

Post by whitegirllust » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm

PHY6 wrote:There is a demo for glue, just create an account.
Oh nice, somehow I missed that demo option when I was checking the site.

Re: Izotope and Polysquasher, it seems they are more geared to mastering - where as I am looking for something more to use on bussed drums and the like.

Thanks doods.
Eric
White Girl Lust & Solid Bump Records
www.solidbump.com
Latest Solid Bump on Beatport

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 pm

dareaper wrote: Haven't made the switch yet?
No I´ve still not made the switch yet.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 am

:lol:

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 am

whitegirllust wrote:
PHY6 wrote:There is a demo for glue, just create an account.
Oh nice, somehow I missed that demo option when I was checking the site.

Re: Izotope and Polysquasher, it seems they are more geared to mastering - where as I am looking for something more to use on bussed drums and the like.

Thanks doods.
Eric

http://www.cytomic.com/glue#trial

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Christian the DDMF dude has just released a new comp, NYCompressor...

http://www.ddmf.eu/

haven't tried it yet, if it's as good as his EQs then it could be a goer...

besides, his pay-what-you-want philosophy is a winner!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:16 pm

This is slightly OT, but I always picture you as an "anti-compressor" compressor expert. :) So it seems kind of ironic to see you posting a "which one is better" post.

Anyway, as usual your posts always evoke sane, educational and useful responses.
I didn't realize that Voxengo had so many different plugs, and I downloaded most of them.

You should be making some serious money off endorsements :lol:
fe real!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 am

Alexsy Vaneev (basically Mr. Voxengo) is an awesome dude who makes great plugins and for the past year or so he's making a serious effort to port them to Mac OSX.

As a windows user, I have been enjoying his plugins forever. Elephant 3 is an ESSENTIAL plugin for me, I also have Voxformer vocal channel strip (2 compressors, 1 can be set to de-ess, saturation, force mono options etc), Soniformer (awesome graphical/multiband compressor with stereo width tools), Crunchessor (a good bread and butter compressor which was the first thing I could get to sidechain in Cubase SX3) and most of the freebies.

Pristine Space is a great convo (licensed to Cakewalk Sonar who rebadged it as 'Perfect Space'), and the SRC R8BrainPro is about the best SRC going. Some of the freebies are great too, SPAN is an awesome FFT monitoring tool, boogex, old skool reverb, stereo touch, tempo delay etc. all fantastic.

Another really great freebie is Bootsy's Density mkII plugin, this is great as a master buss compressor or on group/buss tracks.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Re:

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:08 am

Tarekith wrote:Blue Cat is Windows only.
he?

not true blue cat stuff is bloody good, i just lately discovered how damn decent some of it is.

and it's full blown VST AU RTAS
*** Image GAFM ***

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 am

Tarekith wrote:Hey all, looking to get some feedback on what compressors people like, given that i have some rather specific requirements. So many out there that I'm sure I'm missing some, so it's always good to poll the masses. Anyway, here's my requirements for the compressor:

- Must be native to OSX, either VST or preferably AU. DSP card plug ins ala the UAD or Powercore need not apply.

- Must not be host dependant, ala Live's Compressor.

- Must not require a dongle, I hate the things on principle.

- Prefer a version with auto-release, but not required.

- Most important, must have some form of mix control, for blending a copy of the dry uncompressed signal with the compressed version. Basically a built in option for parallel compression.

Anyone got any recommendations based on the above?
hi Tarekith,

Sonalksis sv-315 compressor:

except for that last point of yours it has everything you requested

awesome on everything : mixing,mastering.
try the "crush" preset on drums,yank that threshold down to -30/40dB and prepare to be amazed!
i've tried and tested like all compressor-plugin demo's i could get my hands on,this baby is up there with the very best!

edit:

oops!i just read you already use that!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 am

he already knows - if you read the entire thread, he already owns it and likes it but wanted something with a wet/dry knob.

Anyway, as another Sonalksis Essentials devotee, I agree wholeheartedly with you on the SV315, it's my most used compressor on drums, electric guitars and bass, and for group busses or on the master buss, set the attack almost all the way fast, set the release almost all the way slow, ratio of about 2:1 up to 3:1, threshold down so you are taking 1.5-3dB gain reduction max, no crush or limiter, type II, and it's almost like an SSL G master buss. Glues very nicely and has a great sound, close to an SSL G. Very versatile compressor. It does subtle well, but can also blow your head off with the crush parameter esp. with the limiter set in too.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

funkyfat

Post by funkyfat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 am

Highly recommend "The Glue".
I love it on the master buss as well as the drum buss.
Try the demo!

http://cytomic.com/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 pm

evon wrote:This is slightly OT, but I always picture you as an "anti-compressor" compressor expert. :) So it seems kind of ironic to see you posting a "which one is better" post.

Anyway, as usual your posts always evoke sane, educational and useful responses.
I didn't realize that Voxengo had so many different plugs, and I downloaded most of them.

You should be making some serious money off endorsements :lol:
Yeah, I know as the voice of anti-compression people probably think I hate it, but not true at all. It's a tool tat I use a lot, but only when I need it and that's usually the point I'm trying to make.

Voxengo. I always kind of overlooked these for the longest time, and I'm kciking myself now. Some of the cleanest sounding plug ins I've ever used, and such fair prices. I'm glad to see that more and more professional engineers and musicians are starting to realize the quality of these plugs.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Personally I don´t get all the rant about compression and limiting. Once you´re able to hear what it does, its up to you to use it in a way that suits you.