Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jersey Garcia

Re: Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Post by Jersey Garcia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 pm

i moved from jersey to colorado about 4 years ago... was looking for a change. i'm never going back. one thing to think about where you live is the weather... the weather rules out west. 300 days of sun and a kickass original music scene in the denver/boulder area. my $.02.

LoopStationZebra

Re: Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:I love watching those real estate programs where they highlight some fucking shithole shack that's 50 miles outside of LA (or San Fran, for that matter) and it's going for $950,000.00.

:P
imagine you're watching that show while sitting in your first new home in the middle SF the night after moving in. the theme's price range that night would include your home. they show North Carolina, Texas and Arizona.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Hidden Driveways

Re: OT: NYC I love you but I may/(may not?) need a break.

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:26 pm

SubFunk wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote: my girlfriend and I have come up with a new plan:

Live in Paris for a year!

We're not really sure how to do it, if we'll have to go to school or get some kind of visa or something, but, we're both New Yorkers and we both feel like Paris is a place we could live for a stretch of time and get a lot out of it.
DO IT! :D
absolutely, the point is it doesn't matter where you go to... really, but it's an amazing and eye opening experience to go abroad no one can ever take that from you.

the best thing i ever, ever did in my live is to just pack up a few things (seriously only as much as i could carry, that included a record box, though... :D ) and go abroad and travel... it get's harder the older you are... go as quick as possible, home will be always home and you can return to that anytime.
Thanks guys! I'm going to keep banging the drum of this idea. I always regetted not spending a semester abroad when I was in college (I was too focused on starting a band to leave). It's time to nip that in the bud.

Bon suare! (spelling?)

aqua_tek

Re: OT: NYC I love you but I may/(may not?) need a break.

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Wowizzle. Overwhelming response to the thread since I last logged in.

Thanks all for putting in your 2 cents.
Hidden Driveways wrote:I've analyzed this endlessly, Nate. I've been living in NYC for almost 10 years. It drives me crazy, especially Midtown (which I have to deal with during rush hour daily), but I can't bring myself to leave. My main issue is that I came here to make it in a creative field. I've made progress, but I definitely don't feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do. So until that happens, I'll likely keep grinding on.
This is pretty much one of... if not THE... main object of my concern. I moved to NYC for the exact same reason, and just like you, I feel like I have made some progress... but not even close to what I want to achieve. Maybe it takes more time. 3 years probably doesn't even register on the Effort radar, so maybe I'm expecting too much, too soon. I admire that someone can keep grinding on for 10+ years, but I'm not sure if I can go that long without the jadedness totally taking over and totally killing my drive.

I probably need to just learn to be patient. I am a pretty laid back person, but when it comes to my work, I'm pretty restless. I want to see results ASAP or frustration will take over very quickly. I'm going to keep grinding on for some time... probably a few months. I still have school to finish and take care of. Once summer comes around, I expect to be done with that, and it'll be a crucial time to decide on my next move.