iPad MIDI. The Definitive Report.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: iPad MIDI. The Definitive Report.

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Really if an app can't stay connected (or get connected) to a DAW consistently then it really doesn't matter what features it has.

Second to that is ease of connection.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:It's rather astounding to me that no one has released a MIDI controller for the iPad that can send out multiple messages of varying types; all at one time. For instance, how's about something that can display 4 XY pads on the screen. A single XY pad could send out a message as soon as your finger hits the screen (to turn a device on), then send out X/Y messages of your choice. Then have 'zones' whereby another message in sent when your finger comes into contact with a certain area.

Or simple drum pads that could send out multiple messages of varying types? Maybe even according to where you're tapping on the virtual pad?

Or just a simple ribbon controller with multiple send options?

:|

Oh, and now for some GOOD news.

Just days ago I was whining away about the need for a cool controller app with more flexibility. Well, I give you MidiPads. He's had a free version for awhile, but it was fairly limited. But now? For $5 you get a shitload of cool MIDI controller goodness.

Oh, and just like with the SoftStep EVERY pad can also act as an XY controller. AND you can set more than 1 message per pad.

Joy.

http://www.crossfire-designs.de/
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:18 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I've got an email into the dev of NLogSynth Pro to see what's up. Basically when I hit any key in that app, some sort of immediate MIDI feedback loop is started. I'm not even recording into a clip. It's just feeding back data/notes into the app and a horrendous noise comes out. lol. :x

More Good News on the iPad MIDI front!

I heard back from the dev of NLogSynth Pro, and he indicated that the problems I've been experiencing are the result of MIDI thru not being able to be deactivated in his app as of yet. Just setting monitor to OFF in Live, as well as turning off Overdub, solves the issues above. Via the external instrument plug (which I've always used for external synths, including the iPad apps) you can now play your notes in NLogSynth Pro and record them into a clip, then feed the MIDI back into the app when done. Everything works great. Once the thru is fixed, I'll be able to overdub as you would with any hardware synth.

Win.

WIN.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 am

K, let me get this straight.

Nope, not quite there yet mentally. Just ate a huge burger. Maybe later. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 am

:x I know, I know.

The simple 'plug and play with your DAW' interaction isn't quite there yet, but it's getting closer. Still a bit of setup and fiddling involved with most apps.

:x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm

When the FUCK is this supposed to be released?

http://www.iconnectmidi.com/

:x :x :x :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Is there ANYBODY out there in Abletonland who's rocking the iPad as well? Besides the odd touchAble user?

Anyone?

Anyone?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

The Fairlight app is also nearly upon us.....

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... o-preview/

It's prolly going to be the most expensive app ever. :lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 pm

The fact that I cannot easily get a hardwired MIDI connection directly from my iPad to my MacBook without some sort of fucking interface = :x

Again. = :x

I mean, WTF. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Is there ANYBODY out there in Abletonland who's rocking the iPad as well? Besides the odd touchAble user?

Anyone?

Anyone?

The complete lack of response to this is the saddest thing I’ve seen on this forum EVER. :cry:

I’ll probably continue to tear up whenever I think about it for quite some time to come. :cry: :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Is there ANYBODY out there in Abletonland who's rocking the iPad as well? Besides the odd touchAble user?

Anyone?

Anyone?

The complete lack of response to this is the saddest thing I’ve seen on this forum EVER. :cry:

I’ll probably continue to tear up whenever I think about it for quite some time to come. :cry: :x

I know that a shitload of people have already bought touchAble for controlling Live, but that the majority of folks out there are using their iPad to control external hardware and vice versa. The whole DAW integration just isn't happening yet on any significant scale. Nor is it being promoted at sites like createdigitalmusic; where Peter Kirn devotes a huge fucking article on how to hook up your iPad to your MIDI enabled fucking blenders and toasters and whatnot, but NOTHING about integrating with Live or any other DAW.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm done with wifi MIDI on instrument apps. Today was another example of things RAPIDLY collapsing to SHIT. :x

Not only that, but I've learned that my M-Audio UNO USB to MIDI cable doesn't support clock sync. :x

Then it started acting all fucked up wonky today. :x

The only hope I have at this point for any kind of stability is to go with the iConnectMIDI unit.

FUCK the Camera Connection Kit and FUCK the M-Audio Uno and FUCK all other goofy ass USB to MIDI conversion cables.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm

THIS MAY WELL SAVE MY SANITY:

:x :x :x :x :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:THIS MAY WELL SAVE MY SANITY:

:x :x :x :x :x

But it's ugly like an 80's cable A/B box and not worthy of having an idevice attached to it.

:x :x :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 am

I know, broham. I thought the same thing. I'm going to have to bury this fucker DEEP in my rack case.

But. Goddammit. It's going to work. It must work. IT FUCKING MUST. :x

The thing that's intriguing? You connect your iDevice with their version of the 30-pin dock connector cable. No more fucking unreliable piece of shit USB to MIDI cable weirdness.