Can't afford to upgrade right now? I have a plan!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:07 am

kennerb wrote:Not that I could see why anyone would want to start.
Hi kennerb,
It's OK I was exagerrating... Now that you've placed the idea in people's heads, they'll all be trying it... People will smoke ANYTHING!

Another money saver if you're giving up tobacco to afford Live... give up beer at the same time. Because you'll want a cigarette if you go for a pint. Give up both and you won't be tempted, plus you'll save a fortune on booze.

Or is that going too far... ?
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:20 am

djadonis206 wrote: it's not really that cool if you think about it, really
Yea!, the first cig I had was because a bunch of friends of mind all took a cig from their folks and then we met up in the woods, lit up and passed the smokes around in a circle. I remember none of us liked smoking them. We were all in the ages of 7 and up. It was on a U.S. military base in Germany. Any military brats here should know the close knit community of being an army brat. Age, skin color, and personal quirks meant nothing. You were in the same boat as all of the other kids. You move every 3-4 years and have to start all over in making friends.

Anyways, I had another cig for the first time 3 or 4 years later. I was riding my bike through tha hood and noticed one of my (bad influence) friends sitting on the roof of his house smoking. As I noticed him there smoking he noticed me happening along by and said, "Hey Tom, come up here and smoke with me." So I thought to myself, "well I always have fun being bad with this guy so why the F not." I lit up and then he said, "You did not inhale." So of course I argued back yes I did!" at the same time realising that really didn't, guess I thought puffing on it was considered smoking. He then took a drag and allowed some smoke to escape his mouth and then inhaled quickly which pulled most of the smoke back in and into his lungs and exhaled through his nose and said, "If you don't inhale then you can't blow smoke out of your nose." So I took another drag and inhaled and coughed my ass off. He then confirmed aloud that I actually inhaled as I was getting pleasiantly dizzy.

Cigs were actually interesting to smoke in the beginning since the nicotene buzz actually says, "hello", to you. But once you become used to it, it does nothing. The only reason you are still smoking is because of your memory attaching to that buzz thus relieving you of stress or taking the edge off whatever kind drug induced buzz/high you have acquired.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:29 am

telekom wrote: Another money saver if you're giving up tobacco to afford Live... give up beer at the same time. Because you'll want a cigarette if you go for a pint. Give up both and you won't be tempted, plus you'll save a fortune on booze.

Or is that going too far... ?
:)
Well I don't know about that because I'm too drunk to drive to the store to buy a pack of smokes.

It does make sense though, because a smoke is soooooooooooo good when your intoxicated.

Are you saying go for a pint as in go to a bar/pub? I've always been against going to bars because it is such a waste of money.

Lets see, one beer for almost the price of a six pack(depending on what you get) and then you got to add a tip to the price if your not a prick.

maci

Post by maci » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 am

YEAH
THAT IS AGOOD PLAN I DID IT SIX YEARS AGO AND SAVE LOTS ON MY "SALUT" POWODZENIA SMUTEK.[/list]

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:47 am

Keep it up smutek!
About three years ago, I was trembling with fear because I actually thought I would soon be dead - my lungs felt like shit. No coughing, but that might just be that the sensible fibres in the lungs were gone.
By brutal force I got an X-Ray and normally I would have had to wait for the judgment but with the same dedicated force I got the nurse to handle me the first impression of the examination and it was confirmed that my lungs were affected (the shape of them indicated that) but no sign of a cancer.
So I breathed deep and went to a nearby church, did not go inside but lay my hand on the church wall and thanked myself and whatever.
Since then no cigarrettes.
But I use wet tobacco, I'm a nicotinist, but my lungs do not suffer anymore.
I strongly feel to go with you, being free of nicotine all the way.
By a similar plan I could pay for whatever software I want in some year, cause I spend 5$ a day on "smokeless tobacco".
The NI Complete would not be a burdon if I had quit a year ago.
(This makes me nervous, it's within reach but whith some beer inside it feels so simple but tomorrow comes...)

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:00 am

Yes, it's 3 AM and a just cleaned all hidden tobacco storages and got rid of the garbage. I will feel like shit tomorrow, coffee without nicotine, hu, and on thursday I will travel to a music festival and I really don't know how I can cope with that without the tobacco chemicals...
But, here's my deal: I have to buy a laptop. The one I'm using is not mine, it's from my work, and I'll be out of work in a month, so... Some sayings have to be done.

Thanks man for inspiration!

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:50 am

maci wrote:YEAH
THAT IS AGOOD PLAN I DID IT SIX YEARS AGO AND SAVE LOTS ON MY "SALUT" POWODZENIA SMUTEK.
Moge to zrobic. Dziekuje maci. Na zdrowie! (Mowie po polsku ni dubje :oops: )

Day 1 has been a success. I have not smoked.

I'm surprised, I took three pieces of nicotine gum to work with me, just incase I started freaking out. I did not use any of it though. I really would like to avoid that shit and just get the nicoteen out of my system as quickly as possible.

Welcome aboard conny! best of luck to you!

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:44 am

smutek wrote: Welcome aboard conny! best of luck to you!
2 hours... and counting...

You speak Polish when nicotine gets out?
Guess I'm going into gibberish soon...

G'night/morning.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:57 am

smutek wrote:
maci wrote:YEAH
THAT IS AGOOD PLAN I DID IT SIX YEARS AGO AND SAVE LOTS ON MY "SALUT" POWODZENIA SMUTEK.
Moge to zrobic. Dziekuje maci. Na zdrowie! (Mowie po polsku ni dubje :oops: )

Day 1 has been a success. I have not smoked.

I'm surprised, I took three pieces of nicotine gum to work with me, just incase I started freaking out. I did not use any of it though. I really would like to avoid that shit and just get the nicoteen out of my system as quickly as possible.

Welcome aboard conny! best of luck to you!
Just woke up.

I hope nobody pisses me orf today. I'm ready to dismember anyone who approaches me.

conny

Post by conny » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:28 am

Now it's almost 12 hours.
How are you guys doing?
Know what, substitutes work!
My usual nicotine source is wet tobacco in pre-prepared portions, some 50 of them in a jar(?) when I buy.
Now coffee and mail checking was a hard thing without it, so I went to the fridge, grabbed a horse raddish, cut and sliced it in portions.
Strong taste, nice.
Guess ginger would do too.
And a lot of vitamine C in them horse raddish (thats how the vikings managed to stay at health on long trips)

Now I want someone that I can dismember into portions..!

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:58 am

Good on all of you, I wish you the best of luck, but I suspect live5 after 4 weeks is a lot more effective than luck :D

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:34 am

smutek wrote:I'm surprised, I took three pieces of nicotine gum to work with me, just incase I started freaking out. I did not use any of it though. I really would like to avoid that shit and just get the nicoteen out of my system as quickly as possible.
When I was in Highschool my parents put me on nicotine gum. Blaghhh!!! that stuff is disgusting. I ended up chewing the gum and smoking.

stuffe

Post by stuffe » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm

I might start smoking just so I can stop later and save a fortune 8O

jbible

Post by jbible » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:15 pm

Its very cool all you guys are doing this. Im not going to wish you luck because I know you can do it. Even after you get Ableton consider all the other geeky things you will be able to afford.

The second 24 hours can be pretty stressful. Just keep to yourself. Try not to talk to anybody...get home and cut yourself off.

I made the mistake of trying to get my car that was stolen then found out of impound on the second day. Not a good idea...but I still made it. 48 hours is all you need.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:30 pm

I managed to quit in november last year, myself and partner both quit together.

I used a few mind games on myself when i felt the cravings coming on. I've always been into things like meditation, self hypnosis and stuff like that, so already knew how hard it is to keep your mind from thinking unwanted thoughts. An old meditation trick that works when trying to quit the cigs is, when you feel the craving, try and hold the thought of that cigarette in your mind for as long as you can, your mind seems to do the opposite and tends to forget it as soon as possible. Before you know it, you're thinking about something else and have forgotten the craving completely, it works every time for me.
It's really, really hard to hold a thought in your mind for more that 30 seconds without it slipping away into a different thought, it's good to remember that cravings are just thoughts, and that can work to your own advantage.

Good luck to anyone giving up, it's not as hard as some failed quitters would have you believe.