anyone having trouble with acceptance of your djing w/ live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wyle_e_drumz

Post by wyle_e_drumz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Hey if that's not enough for you to want to choke them out......how bout the 'keep it real brigade? I have played drumkit for 11 years in quite a few bands from big double bass kits with racks and more toms then toes, to minimal jazz set ups for cruise ships. I found that more and more drummers were getting they're jobs taken by machines. I felt it was time to learn this set of skills to stay current and useful. You ether roll with it or drown right? Now I get all these 'real' musicians coming up to me and saying 'that's not real music', in addition to dj's saying 'that's not dj'ing.
ONe day I am going to invent a machine that lets us stab these people in the face over the internet, and I will be rich. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee;)

oh:p4 2.8 , delta1010, live5, korg electribes es1 and emx , behringer mixer, oxygen8, tempus and tama starclassic and vdrum drumkits. studio projects B1 x 2.
life's tough get a crash helmet cuz there's no white flags

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:19 pm

Angstrom wrote: I recently stumbled into a whole layer of blokes recently that I hadn't seen for a while. ALL the guys are DJ's, they are all about 45 years old and college lecturers by day ...
but DJs by night, with the apartments of a 20 year old (Decks and a matress in the living room). Oh, and they all had giggly 21 year old girlfriends.
Now I look forward to being 45 for the first time in my life :D
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:21 pm

wyle_e_drumz wrote: Now I get all these 'real' musicians coming up to me and saying 'that's not real music', in addition to dj's saying 'that's not dj'ing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:52 pm

It's understandable fear coming from justifiably insecure musicians and DJs who don't have what it takes to join the Live revolution and who therefore fear for their livelihoods. I don't have the time for assholes who can do nothing but criticize something they either don't understand or can't do. Otherwise I'm happy to talk for days to anyone with a good attitude (without giving away TOO many secrets...)

I'll just smile, knowing in my heart that I'm doing something I love and that I'm determined will be generating six-figures by next year... (money for food, & more time for mountain biking! )

:D

vergemedia

Post by vergemedia » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:14 pm

The problem with so many "DJ's" nowadays is the fact that they just cannot comprehend what a DJ's job is.

Whether you play your tracks on vinyl, CD's, MP3's, or freakin' 8-tracks...the fact remains: your job as a DJ is to play, and make music. Whats the difference between these annoying "vinyl purists" and those of us who embrace technology with open arms? Most DJs know one thing, and one thing only: How to match a beat on some turnatables. Woopty friggin doo.

DJs come a nickel a dozen. Those of us who consider it an art, and take it seriously are far and in between. Anyone can throw 10 records together that don't compliment eachother in anyway, and claim they're the next Nubreed.

Bottom line: if you're serious about the music, and serious about your art....(and no I dont mean hip-hop DJs... you people don't even know what a mix is. can i get a ...SHOVE OVER DOGG?!?!) then you spend just as much time using Ableton, Sound Forge and Reason than you do on, well shit....ANYTHING.

I personally have just picked up my copy of Live, and can't wait to get this program mastered. The possibilites are endless; and regardless of what anyone says..you cannot cheat your way to a flawless set. No computer in the world is going to be able to tell you the new Deep Dish record has a buzzing and crushing sound all the way through the last 8 measures that will go perfectally with that new Radanka track you just picked up. Computer or no computer, if you don't know how to piece together those minute little sounds thats glue a mix together....then why bother wasting your time, and every one else's who has to listen to you?

You either have it, or you don't. Bottom line.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:51 pm

no trouble here. everyone enjoys listening and watching me be a dj with ableton live and my bcr. in this scene ive been around, and done cdjs and vinyl, so people here know me.

anyone who has anything bad to say is probably already my friend, and i have no issues with that.

things are rockin here and only gettin better.

if i see someone makin crazy looks, i'll mix in a cd into ableton, then out of the cd back over to ableton. they love that :)
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Dodge

Post by Dodge » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:49 pm

ben_blue wrote:if i see someone makin crazy looks, i'll mix in a cd into ableton, then out of the cd back over to ableton. they love that :)
How do you synch the incoming Ableton tune with the outgoing CDJ mate?

Twigg

Post by Twigg » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:17 am

Dodge wrote:
ben_blue wrote:if i see someone makin crazy looks, i'll mix in a cd into ableton, then out of the cd back over to ableton. they love that :)
You assign a midi knob to the tempo control in abletons top left corner. When you're assigning the midi take note that at the bottom of the screen you can enter the upper and lower bpm that this knob can scroll between. I set mine to 120 - 140 and I get quite fine resolution with 127 possible midi values (approx .25bpm per tick) This is such a huge feature... long over due.

Long live Ableton.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:21 am

So because people still expect the obsolete 'Wheels of Steel' or CDJ circus act, you have to do it? I can do SO much more with my MIDI controllers and video and lighting.

Be yourself. Lead, don't follow. I personally don't really care what they expect. If they don't like it, they can leave.

It's all about the music and the entire atmosphere. I considered adding a turntable as a visual prop (pretending to use it) or to do some primitive turntablism. But I refuse to be a 'lemming.'

I'll STILL determined to make a six-figure income next year, having a blast and doing it my way, despite those trapped in the 20th century vinyl/CD time warp.

End of rant.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 pm

blake is it possible for you to post/send me your als that u use with the bcr?
i will get mine within next week!
email is toufas@gmail.com
thanks in advance :)

blakejarrell

Post by blakejarrell » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:25 am

toufas sure

hit me up on AIM or MSN sometime

aim djblakejarrell
msn blakejarrell504@hotmail.com

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm mainly a musician, I play musician open mics where I do original Live sets. I'm older than some, younger than fewer of the other artists.

Because these are more acoustic/singer open mics with limited setup time, I set my stand on stage, put the laptop on top, plug in the iface to direct boxes-- no space/time to muck with controllers, use the touchpad.

People like the way it sounds, particularly as the electronic sound fills the room after many iterations of the singer/songwriter thing. Which is good, because I have video of a couple of my performances-- visually, without lights/graphic projection etc, as exciting as watching paint dry. :)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:42 pm

Twigg wrote:
Dodge wrote:
You assign a midi knob to the tempo control in abletons top left corner. When you're assigning the midi take note that at the bottom of the screen you can enter the upper and lower bpm that this knob can scroll between. I set mine to 120 - 140 and I get quite fine resolution with 127 possible midi values (approx .25bpm per tick) This is such a huge feature... long over due.

Long live Ableton.
theres other ways to.

basically - very carefully. :D

i have buttons also that speed up or slow down the tempo as well.
"nudging" in essence. everyone here asks how, and thinks you cant.
but you can if you have a controller like the BCR which is very configurable.

but i use a CDJ1000 so, besides the fact it displays the tempo, which allows me to get it close, i can mix without nudging in live, but just with the cdj.

i just match the cdj to live, and thats it. once the cdj is the only thing in the mix, i just make sure, in the phones, that it stays in sync, if it drifts, i just adjust the CDJ accordingly. then whenever i drop back into live, everythings still tight.

master tempo on CDJ makes this easier than ever, since nudging on it gives no pitch modulation as a turntable or other cdj would...(the cdj800's master tempo algorithm is weak, u can hear artifacts beyond +/- 1 or 2.)
cheers
ben
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.