new NIN april 17

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 am

http://symphonyofnoise.com/nails/yearzero/

tell me thats not the cover.... tell me he didn't put a f*ing american flag on the cover next to grownd zero.....
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:02 am

how can you even tell what that is?

glu

Post by glu » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:35 am

agreed. I find this song much more satisfying than the others! Hope!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:03 am

i dig NIN.

i haven't liked skinny puppy - einsturzende or any of the other referenced work in a long time. it was great in the 90's though.

i cannot / willnot listen to a band named 'throbbing gristle'

carry on.

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:33 am

You know what? You can criticize, you can claim "lack of faith", you can say the king is undressed but you can't skate by the fact that he is making his music and getting it out there. You can't skate by the fact that you are curious...

Mission Accomplished!

Whether you like his music or not, whether you want your "3min:30secs" back or not he is making his art and people are buying it...

I've read all the criticisms and while I see all the points on many levels... I still listen to the music as if it was made by someone who I've never heard before. Is it good, is it not? That is all that matters.... My opinion? It's good. Real good!

This is a completely different NIN's than the one I grew up on. I like this one just as much for different reasons.

BTW - There's more than one song on this album. I've heard 6 so far... You're in for a shock... "Survivalism" is merely a bridge song. A flavor you are familiar with.

Watch while NIN's pulls a big fat rabbit from their trench coat.

A track I’m sure you can get your hands on if you try is “Me, I’m not”. Brilliance! Pure F’ing Brilliance! The synth solo at the end is off the charts. Sounds like controlled circuit bending…. But very, very musical in that wonderfully ugly sort of way.

That’s my 2db 
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:02 am

funkdefino wrote: A track I’m sure you can get your hands on if you try is “Me, I’m not”. Brilliance! Pure F’ing Brilliance! The synth solo at the end is off the charts. Sounds like controlled circuit bending…. But very, very musical in that wonderfully ugly sort of way.

you're going a bit far. i like this new "me,i'm not" track but this doesn't reach the "brilliance" level by no means, not even comparing it to his own works like Closer, Happiness In Slavery, Head like a Hole

i hope youre right about the rest of the cd though cuz survivalisum was one of the worst songs he's ever put together, and isn't it supposed to be the first single? how is it just a bridge song?

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 am

Digi V

I don't see the point in comparing it to anything else he/they has/have done. NIN is not the same band. While the core (Trent) is still the same... this is a completely different set of heads working together.

Obviously you like NIN from the 80's and 90's... I'm not looking for a flame war. I do too. I just think that if a stranger handed me these tracks and told me it was theirs I'd be blown away.

JMHO... but I think NIN has progressed and regressed in perfect proportions. It feels fresh again. I hear a band just as much as I hear audio manipulation. When I check the pulse I am getting clear vitals... In the past I could care less if there were musicians pounding out the tunes because it was all about the production... now... I think... it's about the human element.

It's been a long time since I was rooting for a band... Nothings gonna rain on my parade...

Cheers!
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Hey funkdefino

I see what your saying man! and listen dude if anyone here would like to see Nin doing well it me(though i 'm sure i am not alone), i've stood by them since i was 13..I am now 26..i have stood by many a year saying ok..the new album is now three years late ..no wait five years late...

I am one of the few people i know who loved the fragile, some of the instrumentals were amazing...

But i still think "with teeth" sounds flat,it doesn't have the same energy as everything else he has done..it almost feels forced..even the new stuff feels a bit more energised..but as i said in my other post ..they work live!!..infact they work really well live, So for me it doesnt really have anything to do with trying new things or changing sound..i just thought it sounded a little rushed and a little forced...but thats just what i think!!

P.s the bass line in "me iam not" sound way to close to "the wretched" did anyone else notice that??
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

ploy

Post by ploy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 pm

"me, i´m not" is more listenable than the other two. but crappy weak nevertheless. the vocals are anoying, everything feels focused and constructed. but some of the sounds are very nice.
Last edited by ploy on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinky

Post by pinky » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:23 pm

oh balls.

pinky

Post by pinky » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:I guess I'm just biased cause Too Dark Park and Last Rights are my fav albums from them, with Rabies a close third. I was also thinking how the early stuff was more structured too, so fair play.

Oh well, I guess we all just get attached to certain periods in an artist's career for whatever reason, and it can be hard to accept when they do something really different from that.

On another note, has anyone heard about any new Download CDs coming out? The Subconcious site has been the same forever...
I've always preferred SP when they were structured.I'm with you on TDP and Rabies with Rabies scoring an extra time winner :)

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:39 am

ok, new leak. http://www.symphonyofnoise.com/nails/ye ... ilight.mp3

this song actually makes me excited for the new album.

this is what i want from trent-something edgy but with a lighter side that works.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am

Digi V wrote:ok, new leak. http://www.symphonyofnoise.com/nails/ye ... ilight.mp3

this song actually makes me excited for the new album.

this is what i want from trent-something edgy but with a lighter side that works.
omg

nice

omg
*censored*

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:31 pm

the marketing for this album is at full swing now, its pretty interesting.

also, the new dvd comes out tomorrow as well.

trent is definitely cashing in.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 pm

I think trent is officially on my list of douche bags. dedicating an album to 9/11 is just a douche bag move.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.