Did your mother tell you to take things slow?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:34 pm

beatsme,

I've gone through this same thing man. And, (the good news) i've gotten through it.

What I'm hearing from you is, "I hear what I want to write in the clubs and in my head, but it doesn't come out that way" - Is that fair to say?

I've also heard you just say a colleague of yours is writing things that are much closer to what you want to write - correct?

Solution:

You have to break your writing pattern, re-invent, re-think.

1) watch your colleague write, what is he doing differently?

-is he using different sounds? Kick, snare, hats, bass, leads?
-maybe he's using different rhythm patterns?
-Does he start his writing process differently? Beats first, Vocals, melody and Hook?

You need to understand what it is that brings his music closer to what you want. Analyze this. Change your way of thinking.

2) Make Specific Steps and Rules for writing for this new style:

Only add sounds that are similar, (or the same) as the sounds in the music style you want to write.

Only add rhythm patterns that are the same

Arrange the music the same, (intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, breakdown, build, chorus, outro.....)

Remember Music Styles are differentiated by specific things:

1)tempo

2)rhythm patterns

3)specific percussion instruments

4)specific bass

5)specific keyboards

6)lyrical tone and style or lack there-of

7)arrangement

Your Music isn't fitting the style you want because you are not matching one or more of these categories.

Analyze, interpret, conclude, plan and then Execute. This is not about creativity here, you have to re-train your brain first. Practice, repeat until it becomes a new second nature.

Once you are able to do these categories un-consciously, you will then become creative and your original ideas will flow through this new paradigm.

Hope this helps. 8)

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:16 pm

pulsoc wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
mosca wrote:download the amen break
insert wav on chan 1
warp wav
insert livecut vst (from smart electronix)
ramp tempo up to 160bpm

BREAKCORE!!
entertaining for about 30 seconds or less. at first listen you're like "oh shit thats tight!" and then 30 seconds later you're like "ohhhh ok, it's totally freakin random... thats stupid"
The geniuses are at it again.

genii

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:10 pm

icedsushi wrote: I think he means to expand your mind a bit and don't have such a narrow mind to reject everything that isn't chicago house. Don't be such a purist firmly anchored in a 5 year window of the past, and be open to other things that have happened or evolved since then.

So nobody who is making house right now is valid unless they were sweatin' on the scene during the "roots" of house music? :roll:
All of those house acts I listed are more or less newcomers as this thread became about finding new deep house music, so I'm not sure how you got that impression at all. The odd chicago house track in with detroit techno, disco, italo, funk, electro, detroit house etc still sounds good. It's about knowledge of the music, the vibe needed at any particular moment in the night, allowing people to feel the music. I don't really try and play brand new records all the way through, I find that to be very narrow minded.

Y'know I (and quite a few other djs who want their music soulful, raw, dancable, varied etc) am the furthest away from playing one style all night long.

The only thing I'm purist about is good heartfelt music.

Post by 4.33 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:26 pm

ChiDJ wrote:beatsme,

I've gone through this same thing man. And, (the good news) i've gotten through it.

What I'm hearing from you is, "I hear what I want to write in the clubs and in my head, but it doesn't come out that way" - Is that fair to say?

I've also heard you just say a colleague of yours is writing things that are much closer to what you want to write - correct?

Solution:

-Does he start his writing process differently? Beats first, Vocals, melody and Hook?

You need to understand what it is that brings his music closer to what you want. Analyze this. Change your way of thinking.

Only add sounds that are similar, (or the same) as the sounds in the music style you want to write.

Arrange the music the same, (intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, breakdown, build, chorus, outro.....)

1)tempo

2)rhythm patterns

4)specific bass

5)specific keyboards

7)arrangement

Your Music isn't fitting the style you want because you are not matching one or more of these categories.

Analyze, interpret, conclude, plan and then Execute. This is not about creativity here, you have to re-train your brain first. Practice, repeat until it becomes a new second nature.

Once you are able to do these categories un-consciously, you will then become creative and your original ideas will flow through this new paradigm.

Hope this helps. 8)

Tod

cloning never had nothing to do with being creative.
this is ideal for learning but to be creative you've to actually break some rules.
maybe that was your point? sorry it wasnt clear for me :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 pm

ChiDJ wrote:beatsme,

Solution:

1)tempo

2)rhythm patterns

4)specific bass

5)specific keyboards

7)arrangement

Hope this helps. 8)

Tod
In reference to my friend the new dance music writing guy. This should come as no surprise as he is new, but what he is mostly using is loops. That could spawn a whole new topic (and has) that I don't want to get into right now.

You make a valid point about using other songs as a reference as far as sound and style and maybe even layering over one as a base. That's some of that "can't see the forest through the trees" advice, and yet something I have not done yet. I do try to use the same sounds but haven't done a good listen bouncing between one of my tracks and somebody else's track that would make a good comparison. It might sound kind of silly that I haven't done that obvious step, but at the same time when coming up with my sound (whatever that may be) I didn't do it either. I just write what I like and what comes out naturally and it is what it is. Of course I have influences but never set out specifically to sound like anybody or a specific style. So it only makes sense that if I am going to try to achieve something that is alien or unnatural to me then there is going to have to be a little more direct comparisons and maybe even doing some cover song type of production to learn the techniques.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:22 pm

robin wrote:
icedsushi wrote: I think he means to expand your mind a bit and don't have such a narrow mind to reject everything that isn't chicago house. Don't be such a purist firmly anchored in a 5 year window of the past, and be open to other things that have happened or evolved since then.

So nobody who is making house right now is valid unless they were sweatin' on the scene during the "roots" of house music? :roll:
All of those house acts I listed are more or less newcomers as this thread became about finding new deep house music, so I'm not sure how you got that impression at all.
Chill out man, you're just an innocent bystander listening in on this part of the discussion. :lol: The comment was directed at wavejumper. You didn't understand spawn's comment to wavejumper about "why let go of chicago house" so I tried to explain to you. The last sentence of my quote was also directed at wavejumper.

If you go back and read that part of the thread again between spawn and wavejumper it will make sense to you.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:55 pm

4.33 wrote:
this is ideal for learning but to be creative you've to actually break some rules.
That's EXACTLY my point. If you want to sound like a certain style, you have to learn how that style is made before you can bring your own sound to the genre. This isn't selling out or cloning. It's learning the technique and then making it your own.

Left Brain then right. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:12 pm

icedsushi wrote: Chill out man, you're just an innocent bystander listening in on this part of the discussion. :lol: The comment was directed at wavejumper. You didn't understand spawn's comment to wavejumper about "why let go of chicago house" so I tried to explain to you. The last sentence of my quote was also directed at wavejumper.

If you go back and read that part of the thread again between spawn and wavejumper it will make sense to you.
Pardon my lack of coolness. I was talking about the same thing as wavejumper before your comment. It's easy to see how I could get confused.

Must be that rolleyeye icon that set me off :)

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:43 pm

ChiDJ wrote:
4.33 wrote:
That's EXACTLY my point. If you want to sound like a certain style, you have to learn how that style is made before you can bring your own sound to the genre. This isn't selling out or cloning. It's learning the technique and then making it your own.

Left Brain then right. 8)
agreed!