SYLENTH 1..works a dream in Live 7...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thefool

Post by thefool » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 am

Sibanger wrote:Mmmmmm, a hardware sylenth.

It's making me hard just thinking about it.
As long as it was Ti.... sweet. :D
Yeah. Being able to tweak the knobs with your hands.. Banging!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:51 pm

If you look at the Lennardigital.com page, there is some discussion of Sylenth1 sitting inside a Neko. And I believe it's already Receptor-ready. So it's already got two hardware boxes it can sit inside...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:17 pm

rob lee wrote: 8 - 10 instances only costs me between 20-25% cpu and works without problems in Live.

8O .. I tried 2 instances of Analog in a tune the other day..... Nope!!! It wasn't havin it.. Crackles, blips and drops.. And Analog is native Ableton :?: I don't understand..

Gonna try how may Zebras I can line up! Also, surly this depends on the patch aswell, no?

Hd

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 pm

In fact Analog has been a MAJOR disappointment for me.... Here's to hoping for a Live 8 fix... Or even a FREE update.. :wink: I think that would be more in order!

Hd

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:48 pm

thefool wrote:
Sibanger wrote:Mmmmmm, a hardware sylenth.

It's making me hard just thinking about it.
As long as it was Ti.... sweet. :D
Yeah. Being able to tweak the knobs with your hands.. Banging!
Sylenth1 was made for the Novation SL it seems. Works great with automap.
Professional Shark Jumper.

thefool

Post by thefool » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:22 pm

If you look at the Lennardigital.com page, there is some discussion of Sylenth1 sitting inside a Neko. And I believe it's already Receptor-ready. So it's already got two hardware boxes it can sit inside...
I got enough cpu power to launch a rocket, couldn't care less for the Receptor. I want a dedicated hardware interface, like my JP8000!

A neko? No..

Talking about the cpu power why do i have the UAD cards then? Because they actually sound great. Stuffing a VST inside a Receptor won't do anything to the audio. The UAD plugs certainly do.

Sylenth1 was made for the Novation SL it seems. Works great with automap.
thats much closer to what i'm talking about :)
I've actually been thinking much about one of those novations. How do the knobs feel, how are the tangents? And how does it work with stuff? I mean, will i easily be able to see what i tweak on the LCD display?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Neb, I just about spun myself out just now tweaking your Commodore Scratch preset....finally figured out the ultra-squelchy darkpsy lead sound by adding LFO mod to the filter cutoff....nice!! Damn Sylenth sounds good!

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Warminstrel wrote:Doesn't say much for marketing.... but for me, I got Zebra free on a CM mag coverdisc (lite version) and have this "free with crap mag" thing in the back of my mind when I think of it.
You do know that that isn't the full zebra, it is a stripped down version called ZebraCM, right? The full zebra 2 is not in a price range where it would be free with a magazine...

Also, it's probably the best thing CM have on there.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Just a quick note to all you prospective Sylenth1 buyers.. Quite a few people have asked Lennard about the possibility of a 'group buy' on KVR ... http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

Now that would be SWEET! 8)

Hd

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:00 pm

just downloaded the Sylenth demo to hear what this fuzz is all about...

not impressed really.. (not judging the utterly fugly trance presets it comes with)..

I A/B'd it with Analog, only 2 oscs and the filter, all FX off.. they're very close and alike..

mind you that Sylenth comes with a butt load of inhouse FX and a A-B oscillator section..
if you strip it to the bare minimum all this 'powerhousing' is gone..

its a great synth, but i.m.o. not as good as some are trying to claim it is..
Analog is at least on par when it comes to raw oscillator/filter power..

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Poster wrote:just downloaded the Sylenth demo to hear what this fuzz is all about...

not impressed really.. (not judging the utterly fugly trance presets it comes with)..

I A/B'd it with Analog, only 2 oscs and the filter, all FX off.. they're very close and alike..

mind you that Sylenth comes with a butt load of inhouse FX and a A-B oscillator section..

Ok.. But how many Analog instances can you achieve?

Hd

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 pm

ethios4 wrote:Neb, I just about spun myself out just now tweaking your Commodore Scratch preset....finally figured out the ultra-squelchy darkpsy lead sound by adding LFO mod to the filter cutoff....nice!! Damn Sylenth sounds good!
cool cool, makes my day to hear this kinda stuff! :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Poster wrote:just downloaded the Sylenth demo to hear what this fuzz is all about...

I think you may be missing the point. It's not just that the OSCs sound nice and phat, like many other synths do, it's that it takes next to nothing to dial up unison phatness, and it takes next to no CPU to get the job done. Add on top of that the ease of programmability and a really fantastic effects section, along with step sequencer with slides and squelches, and you have a winning combo for a synth with all the features that a lot of people would want to have, all sounding as good or better then a lot of hardware.

When you combine it like that, it is indeed a BFD. Not to say Analog isn't good, or that Zebra isn't as good or better, just that for a VA synth, this one just hits the ball out of the part by a mile.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 pm

heavensdaw wrote:

Ok.. But how many Analog instances can you achieve?

Hd
15x Analog: 38%
15x Sylenth 32%

thats very close..

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 pm

nebulae wrote:

I think you may be missing the point. It's not just that the OSCs sound nice and phat, like many other synths do, it's that it takes next to nothing to dial up unison phatness, and it takes next to no CPU to get the job done. Add on top of that the ease of programmability and a really fantastic effects section, along with step sequencer with slides and squelches, and you have a winning combo for a synth with all the features that a lot of people would want to have, all sounding as good or better then a lot of hardware.

When you combine it like that, it is indeed a BFD. Not to say Analog isn't good, or that Zebra isn't as good or better, just that for a VA synth, this one just hits the ball out of the part by a mile.
haa! :wink:

naah man.. its all apples/oranges anyway.. If you want to compare you'll at least have to do it 'dry'..
I can beef/rack up Analog just as well.. maybe less convenient, but just as phat/fat/beefy/thick/thin/squelchy/whatnot..

anywayss.. just wanted to hear what all the fuzz is about since it was just ported to Mac so I could finally try it out..
Sylenth is absolutely in the upper regions of 'VA'< bleh word.. but to say its divine.. hhhmmm.. naah..