Absolute NERDIEST, GEEKIEST use of Ableton Live. EVER.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Post by unklmic » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:43 pm

Whatever Robert was doing with Sampler in the movie is the nerdiest thing ever done with live.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:18 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:I still want to start a conceptual project called "D&D Music Factory."

Everybody backstab for 3x damage now?

riiiight. I finally deleted neverwinternights from my HD a few days ago and i feel really good about that. If i'm going to play again, it's gonna be good ol' pen and paper.

.lm.
Just wait my friend! NWN II is out in a month or so!!!

:D

yeah, but i'm safe since i don't own a pc, i imagine mac users that don't dual boot wll be waiting a while.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:22 pm

unklmic wrote:Whatever Robert was doing with Sampler in the movie is the nerdiest thing ever done with live.
:oops: well me for the win, then! I've been doing that since b1 :-D (except for the german accent...)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Darthen

Post by Darthen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Kudos M brèq!
It makes me think of a ton of applications for a game of Ex-Machina I'm planing since half an eternity.. I thought of making up the maps of the undercity and the different areas on photoshop and then adding a layer for all the interesting things like monsters, underdogs hideouts and secret passages and so on, and masking it. Then "unmask it" to show what the player are seeing/discovered..
So I am excited at the possibilities your use of live brings !! 8O :D

Anyone has some interesting sci-fi sfx?
MacBookPro 2Ghz, 2GB, Live 7, Jomox SunSyn, Monomachine

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:02 am

Darthen wrote:Kudos M brèq!
It makes me think of a ton of applications for a game of Ex-Machina I'm planing since half an eternity.. I thought of making up the maps of the undercity and the different areas on photoshop and then adding a layer for all the interesting things like monsters, underdogs hideouts and secret passages and so on, and masking it. Then "unmask it" to show what the player are seeing/discovered..
So I am excited at the possibilities your use of live brings !! 8O :D

Anyone has some interesting sci-fi sfx?
Good stuff!

One idea for you; I went and explored in my neverwinter nights program folder and extracted all the background noise files and converted them to .wavs so I can trigger that stuff too.

For sci-fi sfx? Man, with a FM synth you have all the sfx you'll ever need!

;)

Darthen

Post by Darthen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:23 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
For sci-fi sfx? Man, with a FM synth you have all the sfx you'll ever need!

;)
Yeah. I figure I was just being lazy ;)
And watch me gettin' even lazier: could you post an .als of the settings you came up for the random generated action sequence clips?
That would save a lot of re-inveting the d20.. I barely find the time as it is to get my plot together.
I have a stree ninja of the "strong and silent type", a female androïde (actually played by a certified human female ! 8) :D ) posing as a medic, an escaped military experiment doing the stealthy thing and a telepresence nerd doing it all from the comfort of his bunker. They are all in an undercity (read sweat-shop-military-controlled-zone-gone-legal-as-a-carceral-model)
MacBookPro 2Ghz, 2GB, Live 7, Jomox SunSyn, Monomachine

mooncaine

Re: As another DnD geek...

Post by mooncaine » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:31 am

kabuki wrote:.. that is friggin AWESOME. Heh. I can imagine ripping some SFX from LOTR (Orc battle chants, armor klangs, Gandalf warding the Balrog), Time Bandits...
MoonCaine loves him some Time Bandits.

Yeah, I think this might be the geekiest use of Live I've seen yet, but wear it with pride. Very imaginative. Makes me want to break out the many-sided dice in my junk drawer.

Have you thought about processing your voice thru the mic, too, since seeing that suggestion about using a mic in this thread?

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 am

Oh, I think you should use some samples of Billy Bob Thornton from Sling Blade, like where he says "Reckon what you got in there what's good to eat?" or "I aim to kill ye."

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:51 am

Darthen wrote:
Yeah. I figure I was just being lazy ;)
And watch me gettin' even lazier: could you post an .als of the settings you came up for the random generated action sequence clips?
That would save a lot of re-inveting the d20..
I never actually did the number randomizer - it's easier to roll dice, really.

;)

The .als and all the audio files to go with it take up almost 500 mb of space (lots of classical tunes, ambient loops from NWN, some breaks and some SFX), so it's a little big to post somewhere.

basuraman

ok...how about this...

Post by basuraman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:20 pm

allright here's one for you guys. kinda along the same lines..

so i like to design and build themed attractions, interactive art, showpieces etc. i setup systems to operate all this stuff with various kinds of show/performance control software on my pc. in the past i've used midi, X-10 and other control protocols to do things like run a water fountain and light show, or light up a grove of trees and play musical tones triggered by people's movement.

my latest project is a small 'haunted' halloween show with animatronics, lighting, video and positional sound that takes place in my front yard. for this one, i've decided to try to run the whole show from Live! it seems to be work pretty well so far. i thought it was an good choice since the show is based around a soundtrack and a story that's narrated by an animatronic character, with lots of sound fx for dramatic effect.

i think i've managed to setup live so that i can route various tracks to outputs on my 5.1 soundcard. this way i can have some speakers play 'spooky' background ambience - just like the amibent sounds for your D&D, Bréqs!

another channel will go to the character's 'head' speaker, and other channels go to speakers near where special fx take place - like a strobe light for example.

a video projector will play a short animation and i'm hoping to sync that in Live as well - through either Live6's new Quicktime feature - or more likely by sending MIDI control messages to a VJ program like Resolume (either externally on another pc, or internally via midi-yoke if the cpu can handle both apps at once)

for my animatronic guy, i was able to find a circuit board that takes Continuous Controller messages into a MIDI IN port and uses those values to control a bunch of RC Servo motors - which i've built into a framework for the character to control actions like open/close mouth, blink, turn head, etc. i would lay doen his narration in an audio track, then go back and record his face/body actions as his naration plays back. i think i might have seen a VST plugin somewhere that converts audio to CC messages? the naration might be able to drive the mouth movements automatically...

(i'm still trying to get this to work by the way. i can drive the motors from my MIDI keyboard directly, but when i tried to draw an envelope in LIVE for the CC and drive the servos from that, it didn't work. but i suspect it's my MIDI out setup. anyone have thoughts on this?)

and finally, i have another midi device which triggers relays that drive the lighting for my little show - turning various lights on and off, or switiching on lighting effects - all driven by MIDI Note-On/Note-Off messages. that works pretty well.

just like your d&d stuff, Bréqs, something like this could eventually eventually be made totally interactive. custom midi triggers or a randomizer like the Dice rolls idea could control the character's various speeches and/or actions. or whole show states, actually. shoot, you could even do a whole themed D&D environment! at some point, i think live might get bogged down, but maybe not? i haven't yet had all that much experience with it yet, so i'm still finding out what all it can handle.

so...hopefully this will all work out! and hopefully before my head implodes from geek-overload! we'll see... =D

-bas

M. Bréqs

Re: ok...how about this...

Post by M. Bréqs » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:34 pm

basuraman wrote:my latest project is a small 'haunted' halloween show with animatronics, lighting, video and positional sound that takes place in my front yard. for this one, i've decided to try to run the whole show from Live!
hopefully this will all work out! and hopefully before my head implodes from geek-overload! we'll see... =D
Man, you win hands down!!!

8O

Very impressive. I hope the kids like it!
basuraman wrote: (i'm still trying to get this to work by the way. i can drive the motors from my MIDI keyboard directly, but when i tried to draw an envelope in LIVE for the CC and drive the servos from that, it didn't work. but i suspect it's my MIDI out setup. anyone have thoughts on this?)
Some possibilities to troubleshoot (in no particular order):

Midi channel - Is the Robot on the same channel as the clip's envelope?
Midi CC # - same?
Are you using the right midi out, and is it on the interface selected in Live's in/outs?
Check Midi preferences... Do you have the midi interface active?
Will it work with an envelope in the arrange view?
Could Midi overdub be erasing your old info on the clips (I'm not 100% sure this is possible even, but worth a consideration)?

basuraman

Post by basuraman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:10 pm

hehe! thanks man! though i gotta say, it could be impressive IF it doesn't blow up or the robots head catches on fire. i bet kids would like THAT! but i'm just hoping it will work to some degree.

and thanks for the tips too! last night before i read your post, i went back into live and continued to fiddle around. i believe you were spot on - after looking carefully at my midi settings i enabled all my midi out settings - i think the 'remote' option needed to be turned on - does that makes sense? also, had to figure out the monitor settings (as i said im pretty new to live:) )

anyway, it works now! i was able to control and record the motion of the motors and play it back in a looped clip and also draw and edit envelopes to fine tune or create the movements from scratch.

well cool. i shall carry on. i'll try and post some notes on my progress too. thanks again!

late
-bas