M4L Stability (POLL)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

M4l crashes randomly to desktop when either loading a device or changing parameter on device

M4l is stable for me & i use windows
21%
M4l is stable for me & i use osx
28%
M4l crashes as described & i use windows
23%
M4l crashes as described & i use osx
11%
M4L crashes but not as described above
18%

Total votes: 101

Freekster

Re: M4L Stability (POLL)

Post by Freekster » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:12 pm

M4L is buggy piece of $hit what i say. It's nice when it's works but way too unstable for proper work.

Most unstable has to be bundled LFO device that crashes live or just forgets the mappings and have to map again every time i open the project.

I really hope that devices like LFO would be native devices in Live 10.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

I rarely crash, but once I upgrade my PC, there's a good chance I'll suffer them frequently like many others.

Therefore I too hope that

Convolution Reverb Pro
LFO
Envelope
Envelope Follower
Expression Control
Granulator II
Sequencer (so many different ones - whichever is the most well-rounded)

become native devices. Apart from Granulator, they're all basic building blocks that have tons of uses, especially combined. And as Live doesn't have a native granular synth...

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Freekster wrote:M4L is buggy piece of $hit what i say. It's nice when it's works but way too unstable for proper work.

Most unstable has to be bundled LFO device that crashes live or just forgets the mappings and have to map again every time i open the project.

I'd be interested in why you experience these crashes - it would be helpful if you would contact the ableton support and inform them about your issues. M4L has matured nowadays and the LFO should certainly not crash for anyone.

Best,
Christian

apren

Post by apren » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes, that is right. I always load "buffler shuffler" (this plugin not crash ableton) before start using ableton normally, and this It lets me load any other M4L plugin without problems.

But is that since installing Max 7... not more crashes without doing what I stated before. With MAx 7 it seems the problem is gone!!

For now, Live and M4L runs fine, without crashes. Voilá!!

Clarify that the problem was solved by itself, because neither the team nor the cycling ableton 74 said nothing about "bug solved". It seems to have been a matter of luck...

BUt at leats i can use the program without problems, because I was desperate.

I'm still the problem of rewire (reaper master, slave ableton, i make a loop in reproduction mode ... and crash both programs) but I hope that luck would resolve with time.

Cheers.
Ableton Live Suite 9 - Ryzen 2700 - 16 Gb ram - RME Babyface - Dynaudio BM6A/Genelec 8020 - Free VST plugins.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Things are better now but the dreaded Convo reverb 'no impulses bug' reoccurred again so i can't use it. :(

I'll submit a bug report but thought this was well and truly fixed, anyone else still getting it?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:27 am

musikmachine wrote:Things are better now but the dreaded Convo reverb 'no impulses bug' reoccurred again so i can't use it. :(

I'll submit a bug report but thought this was well and truly fixed, anyone else still getting it?
I've never had this error until tonight. Live crashed suddenly, which is extremely rare for me. The set I was working on was much bigger than I normally create. No impulse would load. Restarting Live had no effect, and I didn't feel like rebooting so I Googled this https://www.ableton.com/answers/m4l-con ... erb-broken.

Either the last post's steps in that link fixed it for my last Live session or it was just coincidence.

I am using Live's Beta though, latest .b4 version
and outdated M4L 7.0.4

My bugs will probably get squished once I install 7.0.6

If not, a resounding "meh" will echo in this very chamber I sit in, and I will hope it remains as rare an error as it has been.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:10 pm

I may well be out of date, i'll check. I am running large projects as well, interesting that. I'll have to try changing latency if it reoccurs. Will update in a bit. :)

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:23 am

Freekster wrote:M4L is buggy piece of $hit what i say. It's nice when it's works but way too unstable for proper work.

I've been saying the exact same thing to myself...

kleine

Post by kleine » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 am

Did you contact support at all? If not, you might have a good reason.
I'm quite interested in a crashing LFO.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Max For Live 6.1.10 has been the most stable version for me yet. I have one song that crashes on quit, but only one and this is when it is saved already so no real loss. The important thing is that everything works fine and does not crash in sessions. Support has suggested to upgrade to 7 even as there's nothing indicating Max is involved in the quitting issue at all.

I like my trouble free period too much, been 6 months now. Maybe on another disk later, much later. I prefer to upgrade when there's a clear reason. I'm sure Native Instruments will provide me with one, they usually do sooner or later.
Make some music!

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 am

In my case (Mac OSX Mavericks, Ableton Live 9.7 32 bits, M4L 7.3), the M4L plugin "bass" makes my live set crash almost everytime in the case of an heavy session or while using Reason in rewire. It looks like a memory management issue (maybe only related to 32 bit)...

I became crazy trying to find what was happening after Live started to crash randomly. I'm using it since 2 years and it NEVER crashed before, but since I started to use this plugin in my live set, it became a nightmare.

I found the guilty plug anyway, but I hope it can help other users...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Calagan wrote:In my case (Mac OSX Mavericks, Ableton Live 9.7 32 bits, M4L 7.3), the M4L plugin "bass" makes my live set crash almost everytime in the case of an heavy session or while using Reason in rewire. It looks like a memory management issue (maybe only related to 32 bit)...

I became crazy trying to find what was happening after Live started to crash randomly. I'm using it since 2 years and it NEVER crashed before, but since I started to use this plugin in my live set, it became a nightmare.

I found the guilty plug anyway, but I hope it can help other users...
Would be cool if you could report this to support@ableton.com so they can investigate.
thx
Ableton Forum Moderator

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Mr Kleine (good to have you here still after so many years) and other Max developers reading this forum (if any) i have had enough of it. In the next few days i am going to demonstrate you how easy is for Max For Live to crash complete machine of mine - something which not even single plugin from out of 40 different from different vendors can do. I have like more then 40 different plugins from various vendors (u-he, NI, UAD, Relab, Acustica etc.etc.) and literally NONE of them can crash my machine so badly like max can with simple "detach" command. Actually i can't remember when these plugins crashed my host if ever. Unlike M4L. I also use 3d studio max, Adobe CC suite, doing 3d rendering and modelling - the point is my machine is extremely stable - not any of these EVER produced such strange crashes like Max does. Even if i leave computer to render animations for like 48h under 100% CPU - no no crashes. So before anyone tell me - it's your computer and your setup - i can say - Mars is full of green grass yes.

I am going to make screenshot and everything. I respect you mr. Kleine and i see you are full of energy. I was as well, new ideas and what not. I felt excited about idea of building my own sequencer in m4l. Well hell will do it. But you will see when i demonstrate - why i am utterly disappointed in M4L, why every time i reach for max for live effect i think "oh my god what will happen now"...

The worst thing is that i already reported such things to Ableton and dudes already confirmed it by making email for me and telling me that they can replicate it - and it was like 2 years ago. Still not fixed.

Slowly i am so disappointed amd frustrated so much that one can see me as a troll but i am telling you something is stinky with this software and something need to be fixed. I have had enough of betatesting and reporting this software...

i think i am having a bad day actually..

clearise

Post by clearise » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Uninstalled Max today for good. Too many crashes. Can't get any support. It's cost me weeks of work. I have a Mac & 2 PC's... same issue on all of them.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 pm

clearise wrote:Can't get any support.
How do you mean "Can't get"? Why?
Make some music!