Blurred Lines

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TomViolenz

Re: Blurred Lines

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

As I read somewhere what broke their case was that one of them admitted to be influenced by Gaye in some interview.

If that is true, then no one will be able anymore to admit to be influence by anyone. Most certainly not if that someone is already dead and has greedy relatives.

That would be a real shame, because often it is meant as a gesture of respect, that now can't be given anymore. :(

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

stringtapper wrote:I'm getting a sense that the differences in opinion here are cut sharply across the DJ vs. musician line.

Probably. Just happens that the DJ view won this round in court.

But this type of thing happens thousands of times in songs and it goes unnoticed. It just took a massive hit to challenge a massive hit.

Got to Give it Up is playing on the radio here right now. :lol:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote: My bad! As a mea culpa, here's your plaintiffs musicologists:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... how-780743

"We had two great musicologists — Judith Finell and Ingrid Monson — who broke down the songs and showed that there was copying, not just of feeling. "
Hmm, ok Ingrid Monson is an actual scholar. Strange that she would side that way but seeing as African-American music studies is her area of specialization one could see how she could have some bias here, Gaye's legendary status as an African-American musician.
Unsound Designer

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Easy Germany. I like it. 8)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:27 pm

re:dream wrote:Easy Germany. I like it. 8)
well she is admittedly whoring out for money quite often :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Well now there's a shit load of dead unknown blues artist that should be taking in the dough now. Led Zeppelin should be paying in the billions.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Seriously. Why did Johnny Winter never sue Led Zeppelin for stealing the lick from "I'm Yours and I'm Hers" in "Traveling Riverside Blues"?

And I've always wanted to find who Johnny stole it from (and who that guy stole it from).

:x
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

But this type of thing happens thousands of times in songs and it goes unnoticed. It just took a massive hit to challenge a massive hit.
Lots of ppl notice it in all kinds of songs. What it took was lil Gaye to push it to court and then act like she's been tortured. That family is whack yo.
Let's not forget Marvs dad was a cross dressing alcoholic child abusing preacher. Not that cross dressing is bad, but when you add it all up it could have an effect on a kid...
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:34 pm

we shall not overcome...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm

shadx312 wrote:Let's not forget Marvs dad was a cross dressing alcoholic child abusing preacher. Not that cross dressing is bad, but when you add it all up it could have an effect on a kid...
Um, let's also not leave out the little tidbit that he happened to KILL MARVIN.

:lol:

:cry:
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:43 pm

shadx312 wrote:
Lots of ppl notice it in all kinds of songs. What it took was lil Gaye to push it to court and then act like she's been tortured. That family is whack yo.
Let's not forget Marvs dad was a cross dressing alcoholic child abusing preacher. Not that cross dressing is bad, but when you add it all up it could have an effect on a kid...

When I hear samples, vague or blatant arrangements of another artist’s track, or vocal phrases from another artist’s track I just assume they went through the proper channels to get it cleared.

I think who is getting the money in this case is another main reason some are going “fuck that!”. In a way it’s like the Gaye family won the lottery except they have to monitor and track down their winnings constantly and in some cases fight for it.

Fear not, brothers! Soon enough there will be a service where you can upload your new track and an algorithm will tell you all the tracks you ripped off. Sure you won’t be able to share your new track with the public ever but you’ll probably discover a bunch of new music to you that you really like!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:56 pm

beats me wrote:I think who is getting the money in this case is another main reason some are going “fuck that!”. In a way it’s like the Gaye family won the lottery except they have to monitor and track down their winnings constantly and in some cases fight for it.
If it were warranted I would certainly want the money to go to Marvin's family.

But it's not fucking warranted!

Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:05 pm

sure maybe this will help try to encourage writers to be more creative or less blatant about their quote unquote influence but the mainstream world is always going to be controlled by whoever can pay for what they want and it will still be watered down because it's designed to be that way and i could give give two shits about that world anyways. At the most I hope it would help encourage people to look underneath the surface of mainstream schlock where all the real relevant interesting things are.
/hipster drops mic
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 am

well one thing I see coming from this... there's about 10,000 threads in this forum that Daft Punk's family can use as evidence to get rich down the road. be prepared for a subpoena later if your side chain comment was useful.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:45 am

H20nly wrote:well one thing I see coming from this... there's about 10,000 threads in this forum that Daft Punk's family can use as evidence to get rich down the road. be prepared for a subpoena later if your side chain comment was useful.
what if my beats pump ironically?
Satire is protected speech :!: